Maggie's Whole 30: July 15-Aug 14

maggief

Hi everyone! I'm Maggie and this is Day 1 of my Whole30  :)

This is actually my fourth W30 and looking back over my logs I'm surprised (pleasantly so) at how far I've come since embarking on the Whole9 lifestyle in 2010. It's hard to focus on the big picture sometimes, but reading back over my previous goals and challenges I have faced really highlights the changes I've made -- improving digestion/gut health, eliminating migraines, regaining my fertility without medication (though doctors said it wouldn't be possible), building strength in the gym, sleeping more/better (I sleep about 2x as much as I did this time 2 years ago), and slowly building up self-confidence/acceptance. 

Of course, this is a journey and I still have days when I struggle, but I'm truly happy to be starting this Whole30 from a place of well-being  :)

So what brings me back? What are my goals this time around? Well, I'm here on the tail-end of what can best be described as a celebratory month. It started with my best friend's wedding, a family reunion, numerous summer parties, a week-long vacation and ended this past weekend with a big bash for my 30th birthday this weekend, which included a couple of cocktails and a piece of a "cookie cake" -- a giant chocolate chip cookie with frosting. (In case there was any doubt, alcohol really does lower inhibitions lol.)

These are a handful of isolated events, but with each one I'm finding it harder to go back to my clean Whole9 guidelines. I'll have an extra treat here or there, and sugar cravings that I thought I'd kicked are back. I've noticed that my sleep is starting to be affected -- having some trouble falling asleep -- and working out is feeling like a chore, whereas I normally really love it. I'd like to use the Whole30 as a time to get back into my groove of eating mindfully. 

A note I'd like to make is that in all my past Whole30s, I still approached the program from a place of restriction. I technically followed the program strictly, with no cheats or slip-ups. But I wanted to lose weight/body fat and fudged some of the guidelines by skipping pre- and post-workout meals and sometimes by skipping entire meals because "I wasn't hungry." What I've learned about myself is that after years of restriction, I don't really know how to read my body's cues. By telling myself I'm not hungry, I can convince myself not to eat even though I probably should. (A tell-tale sign in reviewing past logs is that I craved fats like avocados and coconut butter and often tacked them onto the ends of meals, and I came to rely on snacks. I also started using my log to count calories and limit what I ate when I approached an arbitrary number.) I feel weird writing that I was under-eating because I was (and still am) by no means underweight. In fact, I struggle to lose weight and could gain weight at the drop of a hat. It's not hard for me to imagine that there is some metabolic damage that still needs to be healed. 

I'm not sure if all this makes sense, but my point is that eating enough -- 3 square meals of substantial size and nutrient density so I can avoid snacking and cravings -- will be a big goal for me this time around.

I will continue to exercise, meditate and focus on sleep as I have been. I normally do some form of activity every day, though it is not always strenuous. I live in a city and don't have a car, so I normally walk 1-2 hours every day. I also lift weights or do Crossfit 3-4 days each week, though I don't ever think twice or feel guilty if I need to do less -- I used to CF 6 days/week but I have made rest/recovery a priority. 

Some possible obstacles in the next 30 days: 

-- Traveling this weekend to Asheville, NC, for a women's fitness retreat. I don't think food choices will be an issue whatsoever, but I'm nervous about being surrounded by some seriously fit ladies and not "looking the part." I consciously know that weight and what someone looks like isn't an indicator of health and fitness but the irrational, emotional side of my brain doesn't seem to understand that.

-- Traveling to Minneapolis later this month for a work event that will involve lunch and dinner with a prospective new employer. I'm comfortable dining out with people I know, but I'm still shy when having the initial conversation with strangers about the program. Hopefully it won't come up, but I want to have my "elevator pitch" ready in case it does.

-- Traveling to San Francisco on Aug 13-14 (Days 29 and 30) to visit a friend. I'll be staying at her house and will have less control than usual over food options.  

-- Dating. I'm single and have a couple of first dates coming up. As I mentioned, the initial convo about how I eat makes me a little uncomfortable and especially on first dates, I'm wary that discussing it will make it seem like my "diet" is my identity -- and ideally I'd like to convey there's more to me than what I eat. Again, I'm hoping we won't have to have "the [paleo] talk" on the first date  ;)

Sorry my "introduction" ended up being so long! If anyone is still reading, many thanks! And if not, at least I have my goals/concerns/etc. in writing as a reminder for the next 30 days and beyond  :)

Good luck to everyone else who is starting today and who is already on the journey! Looking forward to hearing about your experiences!

xo M

Day 1:

For breakfast yesterday I had about 7oz tuna with a bag of broccoli slaw, 1/2 avocado and lemon juice, with a black decaf Americano. Lunch was big salad of mixed greens, chicken, chopped apples, beets, cherry tomatoes, walnuts, and avocado with lemon juice. My pre-workout snack was about 2oz of ham (W30 compliant) and 1/2 avocado. Immediately post-workout I had roast turkey and carrots, and about an hour later I had dinner of homemade pork sausage, a sweet potato, cooked spinach, a whole avocado, an apple and a small bottle of coconut water. 

I had a bit of a headache when I went to bed, but I don't know if it was a result of the W30 or the extreme heat we're experiencing here in D.C. Feeling great this morning though :)

I'm already curious as to how to talk about Paleo on dates. I'm giving myself the summer to concentrate on my health and then Sept/Oct I hope to be going on some. It's going to be weird! Hopefully I'll fall in love with someone and convert them to this :P and we can eat yummy meals together. I'm not sure (for now at least) I could cope with regularly cooking grains and not find it hard. Not that I'd eat them, just that it would up my cravings.

Thanks for sharing this Maggie! I just started my 30 today! I'm really excited for this, I've been grain free for over a month, but lurking in the back of my mind was a voice saying that I needed to give up dairy (which I love) I found Whole30 via a google search on giving up dairy and here I am. BTW, I can't find the Whole9 principles anywhere, any suggestions,

Thanks and Good luck!

Thanks for sharing this Maggie! I just started my 30 today! I'm really excited for this, I've been grain free for over a month, but lurking in the back of my mind was a voice saying that I needed to give up dairy (which I love) I found Whole30 via a google search on giving up dairy and here I am. BTW, I can't find the Whole9 principles anywhere, any suggestions,

Thanks and Good luck!

Hi Nikkir! There is a ton of info on the main whole9life.com site. Here's a page that discussed Whole 9's "9 Factors" -- http://whole9life.com/2013/01/whole9-our-9-factors/. More specifically relating to nutrition are the Whole30 guidelines, which you've probably already seen: http://whole9life.com/2012/08/the-whole30-program/. The "Manifestos" are also fantastic and worth reading: 

Dairy: http://whole9life.com/2013/06/the-dairy-manifesto/

Grain: http://whole9life.com/2013/02/grain-manifesto/

Legume: http://whole9life.com/2012/09/the-legume-manifesto/

Alcohol: http://whole9life.com/2012/09/the-alcohol-manifesto/

Sugar: http://whole9life.com/2012/08/the-sugar-manifesto/

Bacon: http://whole9life.com/2012/03/bacon/

Butter: http://whole9life.com/2011/10/butter/

Coffee: http://whole9life.com/2011/01/the-coffee-manifesto/

Hope this helps! Good luck on your W30 -- how's it going so far?? 

I'm already curious as to how to talk about Paleo on dates. I'm giving myself the summer to concentrate on my health and then Sept/Oct I hope to be going on some. It's going to be weird! Hopefully I'll fall in love with someone and convert them to this :P and we can eat yummy meals together. I'm not sure (for now at least) I could cope with regularly cooking grains and not find it hard. Not that I'd eat them, just that it would up my cravings.

Haha falling in love and having someone to eat yummy paleo meals with is my goal too! If you have any tips and tricks, please do share -- I need all the help I can get haha  :)

Just saying hi and I'm on the same schedule as you!  Started yesterday too.  Seems to be a handful of us on here!  Which I love!  This is my third one.  Sounds like you've gotten a lot of good out of your other ones!   :)

That's awesome Bethany! How's it going so far? I'm feeling pretty good for Day 3, but I'm waiting for the weekend before getting too excited that this will be easy  ;)

Day 2:

Breakfast yesterday was a spinach omelet with 4 eggs, side salad of cherry tomatoes and cucumber, and 1/2 avocado. Lunch was a mish-mash of leftover sausage and a chicken thigh, roasted onions, cooked spinach and a 1/2 avocado. I took a nap and missed my pre-workout snack window, but after my workout I had some roast turkey and baby carrots. For dinner I had roasted chicken thigh, a sweet potato with bacon fat, and an apple. I wasn't very hungry for dinner -- not sure if it's the heat or what -- but I'm glad I made myself eat because I woke up this morning feeling super-hungry for breakfast. I *will* get a handle on my hunger cues  :)

I'm on day 3 of my first 30 so I think I started the same day as you.  I skipped dinner last night because I wasn't hungry then this morning still wasn't hungry and actually felt a little "meh" in the stomach and didn't want anything.  Is skipping meals bad even if you aren't hungry?

You have some great goals this go around.  As far as dating on Paleo, I don't think I would even mention it at first and if they ask then just tell them you're a picky eater or have some intolerances.  I hate talking about my diet to anyone because I usually go big or go home when it comes to changes in my diet which has a tendency to make me seem orthorexic (ok, maybe I am a little but I'm a lot better than I used to be.  Besides who hasn't been right?).

Good Luck!

Hi Maggie! Thanks for your response, I also downloaded the book, so I'm making my way through that.

Day 2! And I feel great! I can't believe I'm surviving without dairy :)

I don't feel the urge to eat and eat, although I'm having a bit of a hard time getting away from the idea of snacking, because I was always told that grazing is the best for you.

Do you use coconut milk? I was in Whole Foods and couldn't find a brand that didn't have additives (carrageenan) in it. I've been putting coconut oil in my coffee, but it's so oily!

Thanks,

Nikki

I'm on day 3 of my first 30 so I think I started the same day as you.  I skipped dinner last night because I wasn't hungry then this morning still wasn't hungry and actually felt a little "meh" in the stomach and didn't want anything.  Is skipping meals bad even if you aren't hungry?

You have some great goals this go around.  As far as dating on Paleo, I don't think I would even mention it at first and if they ask then just tell them you're a picky eater or have some intolerances.  I hate talking about my diet to anyone because I usually go big or go home when it comes to changes in my diet which has a tendency to make me seem orthorexic (ok, maybe I am a little but I'm a lot better than I used to be.  Besides who hasn't been right?).

Good Luck!

@amobailar -- That's generally my approach too -- I don't draw attention to what I'm eating or mention anything about it unless the other person brings it up first, and then I usually respond with something like "Eh, I'm just not in the mood for [bread, dessert, etc.]" I think apart from my immediate family and a couple of friends, no one I know know that I prefer paleo. 

I have no idea if physiologically there's a drawback to not eating if you're not hungry. My inclination is to say follow your hunger and appetite, but in the past that has led to undereating for me... If the "meh" feeling continues and you're concerned, you might want to check with one of the moderators here. Tom Denham was awesome when I was having some issues with appetite and snacking last year, he might be able to give you a better answer   :)

Hi Maggie! Thanks for your response, I also downloaded the book, so I'm making my way through that.

Day 2! And I feel great! I can't believe I'm surviving without dairy :)

I don't feel the urge to eat and eat, although I'm having a bit of a hard time getting away from the idea of snacking, because I was always told that grazing is the best for you.

Do you use coconut milk? I was in Whole Foods and couldn't find a brand that didn't have additives (carrageenan) in it. I've been putting coconut oil in my coffee, but it's so oily!

Thanks,

Nikki

Hey Nikki! I generally don't use coconut milk -- I don't love the taste and like you said, it's can be hard to track down an approved brand. (I know they're out there, but my grocery store doesn't carry it. You might want to check out other threads on the forum for suggestions on where to buy in stores and online.)

As for coconut oil in coffee, this suggestion might be a little inconvenient but you could try mixing it up in a blender. I would imagine that would emulsify the fat so you don't end up with greasiness or a glop of oil in your drink. Please let me know if it works or if you figure out another solution -- I'm so curious about it now  :) 

Guest Annie B

Maggie, thanks for sharing! I also started on the 15th, and this is my second attempt. I am using the forum a bit more this time... and I think it is going to help me to not feel like I am doing this alone! :)

Maggie, thanks for sharing! I also started on the 15th, and this is my second attempt. I am using the forum a bit more this time... and I think it is going to help me to not feel like I am doing this alone! :)

You're definitely not alone Annie! The forum is a great place for support and advice and even friendship. The only downside is that it can be a bit of a time-suck exactly because there are so many resources and cool people lol. 

Good luck with your 2nd W30! How's it going so far? You're feeling good, I hope? 

xo M

Day 3:

Breakfast was 7oz tuna with broccoli slaw, lemon juice and avocado. For lunch I took a friend out for a going-away meal (she's moving across country to Sacramento  :() and modified a salad they had on their menu. It was mixed greens with mango, jicama, cucumber, celery, raisins and a small bit of chopped macadamia nuts -- I added steak and chicken breast, and a side of guacamole to replace the dressing. The restaurant was awesome about the modification, and the request didn't come across as diet-y because I added so much food to the basic salad  :). My pre-workout snack was some chicken breast that I had broiled with bacon fat, dipped in guac. Dinner was 3 chicken thighs, a sweet potato with a bit of lard melted on top, and a zucchini, which I ate raw.

I didn't have a post-workout meal because I ate dinner almost immediately after exercise. I tried to make sure I ate a bit more at that meal to make up for the missed PWO, but looking at my food all typed up now I'm not so sure it was enough. Lessons, lessons...  :)

After the workout last night I was talking to a couple of my workout buddies, two guys in their 30s, and it was so awesome chatting with them about how hard it can be sometimes to eat *enough* food. Granted, they're eating more than me -- 4,000+ cals/day -- but it's refreshing to discuss eating MORE instead of how to eat less. Anyway, don't mind my rambling haha.

Onward to Day 4!

Guest Annie B

Yes, I am feeling great actually! The whole 'reset' process was really good for me mentally (more resolve and commitment this time). And eye-opening physically (immediate inflammation response to alcohol and dairy). I hear you about the 'time-suck' factor! Isn't everything online, that way ?!  Precisely why I've avoided such things in the past... This however seems appropriate and conducive to my success! So, I'll let it suck away a bit of my time most days. 

:)

Right there with ya on the weekend Maggie....I took the power in my own hands and planned a party for Saturday night!  Nothing major, just a bunch of friends coming over to grill and play some games and have a poker tournament.  But it lets me plan the food to a certain extent!  Love that!  

Sounds like you're doing amazing!

Right there with ya on the weekend Maggie....I took the power in my own hands and planned a party for Saturday night!  Nothing major, just a bunch of friends coming over to grill and play some games and have a poker tournament.  But it lets me plan the food to a certain extent!  Love that!  

Sounds like you're doing amazing!

Awesome! How'd the party go? What foods did you serve?? I love hosting parties and am always looking for fun menu ideas  :)

I'm back! Over the weekend I attended an amazing women's fitness retreat in Asheville, and it was positively exhilarating. I found it really uplifting to be surrounded by like-minded women. We were all different ages, with different backgrounds, different eating styles and fitness strengths -- but we all shared a passion for treating our bodies and minds with kindness and helping inspire others to do the same. 

Most of the other attendees are already fitness professionals; many are trainers and some are also nutritional consultants, so I felt a bit like the odd man out at first since I'm none of those things. I also went into the weekend feeling a bit self-conscious about not "looking the part" which is a personal mindset issue that I'm working on shifting. But once I arrived and met everyone, I felt immediately comfortable and like I had found my people. 

In my real life, I don't have a huge community of people who share my interest in health. Usually I'm the "weird" one because I enjoy healthy foods and exercise. To have an entire weekend where I could discuss intermittent fasting, intuitive training, body image and other concepts that usually make my friends' eyes glaze over was fantastic. We didn't all agree on everything, but having serious conversations with open-minded people, being challenged intelligently instead of questioned or berated, and finding common ground was invaluable. 

That's a big part of why I love this forum. It not only gives me support, but it provides an outlet to virtually meet people with similar interests. So, in short, thank you to everyone out there  :)

For the record, I stuck to the W30 the entire time and even stuck to the meal template except for one missed post-workout meal. I wasn't able to eat anything immediately after, but I had a good, filling meal -- turkey, cucumber, avocado and banana -- about 75 mins later. 

I won't rehash everything I ate the last few days, but I'll get back to logging my meals here today. Day 8!

Day 8: 

Breakfast was 5 eggs (3 whole + 2 yolks) cooked with lard and slices of raw yellow squash. Lunch was 3 packs sardines with cherry tomatoes, carrots and a pack of seasnax seaweed. For dinner I had a baked sweet potato with homemade meat sauce, half avocado and Persian style green beans from this recipe.

Day 9: 

For breakfast I had leftover meatsauce over raw yellow squash and a half avo. For lunch I met a friend at a Lebanese restaurant. We shared a couple of appetizers -- roasted cauliflower, beef kebab and babaganoush -- which I later realized wasn't enough food. I ended up eating a huge 2-part dinner. First I had roasted chicken breast tenders, broccoli slaw, an avocado and an apple. But I was still hungry so I had more of the meatsauce I had made and some frozen berries. Not terrible, but I can also see that it wasn't ideal in terms of meal balance and timing. Using it as a learning experience... The lesson here: Always order more food  ;) 

Note: There are no pre- or post-workout meals here because I haven't been able to work out other than walking for my commute. Monday was just way too busy and yesterday I crashed and fell asleep before 8pm. Definitely not feeling guilty about the "missed" workouts. I know that rest days are important and I'm so happy I let myself sleep early instead of forcing a late workout last night (I had been planning on going to the gym at 7:30.) I'll be back in the gym today though   :) 

Your retreat sounds amazing - what a great way to spend a weekend :) I know what you mean about not having many people with the same interest in health/nutrition... We are finding more people along our journey, its sad but its an easy way to lose friends, luckily you also meet new ones!

Archived