Maggie's Whole 30: July 15-Aug 14

maggief

Day 10:

Breakfast was broccoli slaw and tuna salad with lemon juice and avocado. Lunch was also salad -- grilled chicken, spinach, beets, chopped apples, avocado, cherry tomatoes, lemon juice. I had to do a late workout, so I adapted my schedule with an earlier dinner (roast chicken with tomatoes and carrots from my CSA) and a PWO meal after exercise (sweet potato, chicken, apple).

Day 11:

Bfast and lunch were repeats of yesterday -- I love my salads and I have no problem with leftovers! -- and after lunch I had a couple of peach slices at the farmers market near my office. (That market is the best part of my Thursday  :)) It was another late workout day, so I once again had an early dinner. For dinner I had leftover roast chicken with sliced tomatoes and cucumbers (from my CSA box), some guacamole and an apple I picked up at the market. Pre-workout I had some roast turkey breast and after my workout I had a sweet potato, sardines (in water) and a couple of carrots.

I'm finding it's getting easier to have pre- and post-workout meals in addition to my other three meals each day, even when my schedule gets a little screwy. 

It's Day 12! Nearly the halfway point. I'm feeling really good, except the last couple of days I've been having some cravings... 

I didn't have to change much about my previous eating habits to make my diet W30 compliant -- the only items I had to cut out were grassfed butter, the occasional (1x every week or two) heavy cream in my coffee and protein shakes, which I was having 3-4x/week. Nothing super "dirty" so I thankfully didn't have any "withdrawal symptoms" as a result. However, I'm suddenly really missing my protein shakes! 

Isn't that weird! Of all things, protein shakes...

This isn't a result of my body needing the protein (I'm getting plenty of animal protein) so I'm fairly certain I just miss having something sweet and cold. I'd blend my whey protein with almond milk, raw cacao and frozen berries to make a really thick shake, and boy was it satisfying. This isn't an intense craving that makes me unable to think about anything else -- it's more of a passing "mmm that would hit the spot right now" type of craving. 

It won't be difficult to go without it for the rest of the 30 days, but I think it will be the first thing I try to reintroduce next month. Is that terrible? Probably. But as long as the reintro goes well and I don't feel *terrible*, I'm cool with it. (Fingers crossed the reintro goes well  ;) )

Anyone else having cravings and/or planning for reintroduction already? Hope everyone is holding it together!  :)

Day 12:

Friday was incredibly busy and I don't know if it was all the running around or the heat/humidity, or both, but I felt very... swollen? I can't think of a better word for it. The swollen/bloated feeling hit me Friday afternoon and lasted all weekend. Blegh. Anyway, for breakfast I had broccoli slaw with tuna, avocado and lemon juice. Lunch was spinach salad with grilled chicken, beets, cherry tomatoes, avocado, chopped apple and lemon juice. I had friends coming into town from NJ Friday night and we had plans to go to a baseball game before a late-night dinner. I didn't want to be starving at the game, where I knew I wouldn't want to get anything, so I ate before they arrived. I had some roast beef, cucumber slices and guacamole. Later that night we went out to eat and I got a small salad with some grilled skirt steak.

Day 13:

My friends and I had brunch at a cute French-inspired cafe. I had an omelet with smoked salmon and scallions, with a side of greens, and decaf coffee. We went to a farmers market where I sampled some peaches and watermelon. Then we walked all around D.C., covered about 5-6 miles on foot. Along the way we stopped at a great "block party" promoting local farmers and vendors. We didn't eat anything there, but I sampled some locally brewed kombucha and cold-brewed coffee. (Yumm  :) ). For dinner we went to a local barbecue restaurant that has a few really "clean" items. There I had 4 very meaty pork ribs, a couple of bites of brisket, collard greens and mashed sweet potatoes (no grains, dairy, added sugar, etc.). 

Day 14:

Sunday was largely dictated by my guests' travel schedule and my first "meal" didn't follow the Whole30 template. We were in a bit of a rush, so I had a tin of sardines (packed in olive oil, with lemon) and decaf coffee. Once they left around mid-afternoon, I wasn't very hungry but I figured I would eat something substantial since I would be out the rest of the day. I made a steak (~12 oz) with roasted carrots and parsnips, steamed spinach and a tomato-avocado salad. I also had about a half cup of honeydew melon. That really filled me up and when I got home later that night, I had zero appetite for another meal. I wasn't incredibly active, a bit of walking and housework, so I'm not too surprised or concerned by the lack of appetite.

On the road again... I've been traveling -- AGAIN -- this week. This time it was a 24-hour whirlwind trip to Minneapolis that involved lots of meetings, but luckily one great gym session and good food.

Day 15: I truly don't remember what I ate on Monday, but it was pretty standard. Some combination of the usual veggies from my CSA -- tomatoes, cucumber, sweet potato, broccoli slaw -- avocados, and tuna/sardines/chicken thighs as my protein. I think I ate an apple, too. PWO snack before having some deadlifting fun at the gym :) 

Day 16: Tuesday was a busy day at work followed by travel to the Twin Cities. Brek was roasted chicken thighs with cuke, tomato and avocado salad. Lunch was broccoli slaw salad with tuna and avocado. I had a late afternoon flight, snacked on a small orange and some pistachios because I knew it would be a while before I would get to the hotel and eat dinner. When I arrived in Minneapolis I went straight to a friend's gym, then continued to the hotel. Post-workout I had a banana -- not ideal but better than nothing? Dinner at the hotel was a grilled ribeye with asparagus and an apple. There wasn't a "clean" fat on the menu but the steak had some decent marbling so I didn't stress about it. 

Day 17: Every meal on Wednesday was eaten out, which was a nice test of my abilities to navigate a menu and dining with strangers without feeling uncomfortable. Before leaving my hotel room I had a pack of sardines, then at the restaurant where we had our work breakfast I got two fried eggs and a small fruit salad, no added sugar or sweetener. (The best I could do under the circumstances.) Lunch was turkey shwarma over salad with olive oil and vinegar, with beets, pickles and swiss chard on the side (shared with group). Dinner at the airport was a bun-less beef burger over lettuce and tomato, with a side of guacamole. Because my flight was late and I'd had a long day, I started to feel hungry/tired/queasy on the plane -- I snacked on a couple oz of pistachio nuts and a fruit salad (combo of berries, pineapple and grapes) with a lot of water. I didn't get to work out, unless we're counting walking a big loop around the airport looking for dinner :)

Day 18:

Thursday was a good day! I was pretty tired from all the travel and expected it to be one of those days that I just wanted to get over with, but it turned out to be quite lovely -- thanks to a good nap, good workout and good food  :)

For breakfast I had broccoli slaw with 2 roasted chicken thighs, 1/2 avocado, cherry tomatoes and lemon juice. Lunch was a can of sardines in olive oil with a tomato-cucumber salad. In the afternoon I napped (pure bliss) for about 20 minutes then had an early dinner of smoked salmon, 2 cucumbers, 1/2 avocado and some amazing (but tiny) plums I'd picked up earlier at the farmers market. Then I went to the gym, where I had a great workout and surprised myself with some strength gains, woohoo! My PWO meal was pretty substantial: a roast chicken leg and two wings with a sweet potato and onions that had roasted in the bottom of the pan with the chicken. Ah-mazing. 

Archived