Digestive Issues RESOLVED!

I know this is the trouble shooting section but I feel compelled to talk about the success I've had with my digestive issues (which were frequent). I followed the advice from other Whole30-ers and added Digestive Enzymes and probiotics (natural like Kombucha and supplemental) and I cut out FODMAP foods and I feel like a whole new person. My stomach isn't bloated at all throughout the day, no more gas (sorry TMI), no more cramps, no more feeling like bubbly water in my stomach, and no more distended lower stomach. All of those were issues I dealt with every single day and it feels so amazing to be free from all of that! I plan on reintroducing some of the Whole30 compliant FODMAP foods one at a time after I finish the 30 days because I miss avocado and am praying that's not a trigger food but if it is I'd be happy to live without it if it meant no stomach issues ever. Just wanted to share my excitement! :)

I use NowFoods Super Enzymes. They've been working great for me! Kombucha in the morning seems to help too. This is the first time in 26 years that I don't have a distended lower stomach and gas pains. What a relief!

Yes, FODMAPS was a key for me. I had IBS for 30+ years and only when I eliminated FODMAPS that I eliminated most of the problems. I did try avocado a few weeks ago, and it wasn't terrible, but I still had a reaction. But I may one day be healed enough to eat them.

Amberino you should definitely give it a try! The only thing you've got to lose is your digestive issues! I must admit the first week was tough because I was using avocado frequently as an added fat and cooked with a lot of garlic and onion.. plus I really enjoy a lot of the no-list FODMAP veggies however I discovered a lot of new veggies I wouldn't have tried otherwise and adjusted perfectly fine. Definitely worth it for my stomach to feel good  :)

Good luck!

Amberino you should definitely give it a try! The only thing you've got to lose is your digestive issues! I must admit the first week was tough because I was using avocado frequently as an added fat and cooked with a lot of garlic and onion.. plus I really enjoy a lot of the no-list FODMAP veggies however I discovered a lot of new veggies I wouldn't have tried otherwise and adjusted perfectly fine. Definitely worth it for my stomach to feel good :)

Good luck!

There's so many on the list of "no's" that I love...but I think I like being less bloated/gassy etc more. I use onion and garlic in huge amounts in everything - that's one of the hardest things to avoid, although my wallet will probably love me as the local garlic I have been buying is about $40kg!

I think giving up nightshades would be worse...

HAHA, I had to give up both. I've always had an issue with raw tomatoes, but didn't know why. I had a panic attack when I ate a summer squash from my garden and had a bad reaction. I checked the FODMAP list and thankfully it's not on there. The next time I had one, I did peel it and removed most of the seeds before grilling and I was fine. WHEW. I have two squash plants and they are one of my favorites.

I have found that I can eat stuff flavored with onion as long as I don't eat the actual onion. I guess there isn't as much of the material that causes the digestive issues to cause a problem. My husband is an onion maniac and loves to cook with it. So when he asked very shyly if he could add some onions to our roast chicken, but remove them, I had to say yes. And as long as I didn't eat the onions, I was ok.

There's so many on the list of "no's" that I love...but I think I like being less bloated/gassy etc more. I use onion and garlic in huge amounts in everything - that's one of the hardest things to avoid, although my wallet will probably love me as the local garlic I have been buying is about $40kg!

I think giving up nightshades would be worse...

I feel your pain! All the No list veggies were my favorites. On the bright side I started trying new things that I probably would have never tried without a lack of options and it turns out there are a lot of veggies I really love on the yes list :) Jicama, turnips, and squashes are my new go-to favorite veggies

We don't have jicama that I'm aware of!! I already eat so many types of vegies that there isn't really many more to add that I don't eat...there's not enough green on the list :(

I have discovered a love for ghee roasted zucchini though - I think this is one type of what you call squash? We have long green zucchini, and squashed round yellow things that we call squash :)

Archived