Still getting hungry between meals

Okay I'm on Day 15 and everything is going really well for the most part. But: my first week I was hungry all day so I ate snacks in the morning, afternoon, and evening. I woke up hungry, I went to bed hungry. During the second week, I got hungry and had a snack in the morning or afternoon twice, although one time I was super hungry but I just didn't have a snack with me.

So, here I am, day 15. And I'm hungry! Here's what I ate today:

Breakfast: Two pieces of egg casserole (egg, bacon, bell pepper, spinach, a tiny bit of sweet onion) and sweet potato hash browns

Lunch: Zoodles (let's say 1/3 of a zucchini) with between 1/4-1/3 of a cup of tomato coconut sauce and a palm-size portion of pork chop

Then I got hungry about an hour and a half ago and one of my awesome coworkers gave me some salmon (don't worry, I checked to make sure it was compliant and she knows how seriously I'm taking this). The salmon was a little less than palm-sized.

And now I'm hungry again! What gives? It's not going to be a big deal for me to wait until 7:30 to eat dinner, but my stomach is actually growling. I thought for sure having a small snack of protein would help me out here.

When I try to bring a big lunch, I can't finish it, because I get so full. But a couple hours later, I'm hungry again. And it's not like this is happening all the time, but it's still frustrating and distracting, particularly since I'm at work. So, what should I be doing differently?

I'd have to look over your log again but it doesn't look like you are adding the serving or two of fat you need and you are not really eating enough veggies. For example when I eat zoodles I usually eat 2 entire zucchini's worth (small-medium). The rule of thumb on W30 is eat when you are hungry and eat until you are satisfied but every time you eat it should look like the meal template. If you are still getting hungry you either need to plan for a couple of mini meals (not snacks) or you need to increase your portions. Possibly both.

Usually when I get hungry between meals I look back at my previous meal and it didn't include enough fat and/or veggies.

I've increased portion sizes to eliminate hunger between meals - I figure if I'm full until my next meal it stops me wanting snacks! Like has already been mentioned, if these bigger meals are too big, you can save leftovers for a mini meal/snack

How many eggs would be in your breakfast casserole? Ill easily eat 3 eggs, plus some chicken for more protein, on top of some fat and vegies!

I'd also increase the noodles, but the sauce and protein too. The sauce is where your fats are - 1/4 to 1/2 can of coconut milk is recommended, so you could have more of your sauce as it also contains tomatoes etc. you could also try two servings of protein?

Just a random thought or two:

1) Might it take some bodies longer to get hormonal regulation (meaning not overproducing insulin after eating) than others? Meaning that maybe Peaslepuff's body is just taking a while to figure out how to restore equilibrium?

2) Peaslepuff -- are you eating slowly? I am having trouble with getting really full before I'm done, too and I have struggled my whole adult life with eating too quickly. Just a thought. 

3) I was also thinking to increase protein. 

Good luck! (and so awesome to have a supportive coworker)

How many eggs would be in your breakfast casserole? Ill easily eat 3 eggs, plus some chicken for more protein, on top of some fat and vegies!

I'd also increase the noodles, but the sauce and protein too. The sauce is where your fats are - 1/4 to 1/2 can of coconut milk is recommended, so you could have more of your sauce as it also contains tomatoes etc. you could also try two servings of protein?

~~~

There's not that many eggs in the breakfast casserole - I'm only eating about 1.5 per day now - but I found that when I was eating three eggs my stomach was hurting. Plus I wasn't eating any veggies during breakfast at all beforehand and I had to find an easy way to incorporate some. But I think next time I might leave out the bacon and cook it separately...somehow, bacon is way more satisfying to me when it's on its own.

I will definitely keep in mind about the sauce and protein. Thanks!

Just a random thought or two:

1) Might it take some bodies longer to get hormonal regulation (meaning not overproducing insulin after eating) than others? Meaning that maybe Peaslepuff's body is just taking a while to figure out how to restore equilibrium?

2) Peaslepuff -- are you eating slowly? I am having trouble with getting really full before I'm done, too and I have struggled my whole adult life with eating too quickly. Just a thought. 

3) I was also thinking to increase protein. 

Good luck! (and so awesome to have a supportive coworker)

~~~

1) Well, that makes sense. I mean, my BMI is like 40/41 right now, so I'm obviously pretty obese, and my poor body has been so whacked out the past few years.

2) No, probably not eating slowly enough. Probably takes me about 15-20 minutes to eat most of the time. And I have an hour for lunch so it's not like I don't have the time.

3) Check. Will increase protein.

Thanks!

Hi, Peaslepuff.

So, the adding of protein and fat has been covered thoroughly.  Just a thought - I've read a number of posts on this Forum where people say that eating eggs in the morning bothers them.  So, maybe skip eggs and try a different protein at breakfast for a while to see how that goes?  Some people like the breakfast mix in ISWF (for me it was a bit too sweet).  Leftovers are good or you could try some compliant sausages (search Forum for suggestions). 

For what it's worth, today I had leftover brisket (Forum poster MrsStick's slow cooker recipe) and acorn squash, which was good, although a bit lacking in veg because I ran out of time.  I sometimes have leftover slow cooker pork (e.g., nomnompaleo's Kalua Pig).  To cover the veg front, I often make a batch of braised kale and carrots (again, nomnompaleo - it's a pressure cooker recipe, but I just braise it on my stove), which easily reheats and is good with eggs or various meats.

Good luck!

Alyson

If you're full and can't finish your lunch then you might want to consider trying something different to eat.  I had a hard time eating salads at work and could barely finish one in the 30 minutes I had. (But oddly, have no problems eating salad for lunch at home)

When I have zoodles I use an entire zucchini and a big pile of kale for my veg (and possibly a sweet potato too).  It seems like you're probably not eating enough food at your meals (possibly because you have a lot of weight that you want to lose).

Okay, I've been making my meals bigger and it has helped. I added half an avocado to my breakfast yesterday and that was great (although now I've run out of avocados so I need to buy more), and I added carrot noodles (really just shredded carrots) to my zucchini noodles, doubled the protein (can't complain about eating more meat), and increased the sauces a bit too. I also made more food in bulk yesterday so I don't have to worry about eating too many zoodles and cauli rice and running out.

I've also started swimming a couple times a week so I should be hungrier anyway from burning those calories!

Archived