Whole360 My year long journey to a healthier life!

Vanniek71

So I have competed 4 Whole30's to date. I have started a few more along the way, and slipped here and there so I started over. I have still managed to lose 20 lbs and keep that off, but I find myself fluctuating and I don't like it.

A little background on myself, I am an all or nothing type person. Meaning I have to go Whole30 and strict or I end up slipping. It's just easier for me to do Whole30 than a standard Paleo Diet and try to eat well. Dairy ends up sneaking in there, Stevia, etc etc and next thing you know its bad food all over again,

So I was sitting there the other night, after eating some wheat, and feeling like crap and it hit me.

I am going to do a Whole30 program for a complete year. Then some clever names hit me.... there are 360 degrees in a circle, so I thought well Whole360 sounds kinda cool....and so does WholeCircle!

Why not 365? Well I figure the Holidays I want to be able to enjoy some of the delicious foods, so 360 is pretty damned good. So thats what I am going to do. For 360 days I am going to follow the Whole30 program to a T, and for 5 days during that year, I can eat what I want.

So I will be posting here, I promise I will "TRY" to post photos and updates (I am horrible at this) so you can all see whats going on and how I'm doing.

I am sure I will need some moral support along the way, so feel free to chime in!

And if anyone wants to join in, then feel free to hop on this crazy train!

I will be starting this program on Monday July 22nd.

• Replies 396
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow! Good luck!

My first whole 30 is over July 22 and I am terrified to go back to the way I was eating so I was considering doing a whole 45 or maybe a 100. Don't know if I could do a 360 but I might try:)

• Moderators

We don't recommend committing to the Whole30 permanently. Not even Dallas and Melissa Hartwig follow the plan all the time. I hear you that you tend to drift into bad habits, but I would recommend committing to a plan that you will eat foods that make you more healthy most of the time and only vary for specific reasons for which you are willing to be accountable. Those reasons might include that you are traveling and would have to go hungry if you don't eat what you can find in the airport or that your mom made homemade apple pie and you want some with ice cream. Reasons that are not good enough is that there were free cookies in the break room, etc. Just my thoughts. :)

I did a Whole100 to break my sugar addiction and it worked and it was the right thing for me to do to be able to manage my sweet tooth finally but the psychological restriction resulted in me eating more than my body needed..... Just saying... It may not be with out other consequences, which is why i guess as Tom says its not recommended for really extended periods. I hope you find something that works for you going forward though, it is frustrating when it gets harder the more you do it.

I wonder why they don't recommend it permanently? My Dh has been type 1 diabetic since he was 6 and really there is no reason not to eat this way all the time. That the main reason this is the first "diet" I have ever done. To me, if it isn't healthy on a regular basis, then I really start to question the health and effectiveness of it for short term results.

Type 1 diabetics do need more carbs than are easily accessible with whole30. Dh isn't intentionally doing the diet with me, but usually he eats very similar to me. Especially for breakfast and dinner. We were discussing this a few nights ago and Dh commented that back in the day when he was first dx, whole30 is almost exactly what was required of type 1 diabetics. They didn't pay attention to additives and such, but otherwise all sugar was verboten unless you were having an insulin reaction and needed it pronto. If sugars were really low, it was still preferred to eat a complex carb with protein to keep bring sugar up and steady it. Dh credits being dx before all the new age BS about "eat what you want just take more insulin for it" crap as he calls it for why he is a very very healthy 40 year old type 1 diabetic. They are rare to find. And he has met lots of people (including drs!) who insist that diabetics don't have to deprive themselves. He counters with, "and how much weight do you need to lose, how steady are your sugars, and do you also discuss how quickly that will cause them to burn through insulins and that there are only so many options?". Cricket noise for responses.

The worst day of his life was getting on an insulin pump. He has become intolerant to every insulin out there except one that is only available via constant drip in a pump. It sucks. He gained weight with it. (which is a side effect of insulin use - it makes you hungry) which was actually okay because he had always been 20lbs underweight and it is way too easy to fall into a mindset of, "I just need to bump these buttons to eat ___". He openly admits that as a kid the temptation to sneak a snickers was never there because he loathes needles and no sweet tooth was worth the injection it would requireor the extreme crappiness feeling if he ate it and didn't take the injection.

His endocrinologist always asks about his diet and Dh told him about my whole30 and sorta being along for the ride. His endocrinologist thought it was fabulous and encouraged us to stick with it and even put the kids on it. All of which are extremely underweight for their height. Twigs like Dh and I were before we hit our mid 30s. The endo said he loves seeing my Dh, especially when we have brought the kids bc so few of his patients are healthy. He likes what Dh and I told him about W30 and said it sounds like a great way of life. The only thing he didn't like was only doing it for 30 days. Because diet is a way of life. His biggest problem that patients have is a lifestyle of bad habit eating.

So that is my rambling ranting way of astonishedly asking, why wouldn't someone eat this way permanently?

I get having the occasional treat at Christmas, Easter, major event. Idk. Even if it was once a month, that's only 12 days a year. I was thinking of marking my calendar for approved cheat days after this whole30. It would likely be more than 12, maybe 20.

Guest Annie B

It seems to me, that the psychological component is very real. What are we (often unconsciously) trying to heal mentally/emotionally when we strive to heal physically? As much as I have wanted to at times, I cannot separate one from the other. As a 'health professional', information has never been the issue. 'What or How' to eat, has only been a small part of the equation. 'Why' I am making a choice, seems to get a little closer to the source. I also see that no two people, have exactly the same experience. For some, information really is the issue, and those are the folks who seem to be able to take an apply new habits easily. Oh how I have wished it were that way for me! LOL. Slow and steady, learning to be patient with myself, and some good counselling on the side... Seems to be a big part of my formula for success. Could it be, that finding our own balanced formula (diet, exercise, mental, spiritual, social, etc) is essential? 

Good luck on your journey VannieK!

It seems to me, that the psychological component is very real. What are we (often unconsciously) trying to heal mentally/emotionally when we strive to heal physically? As much as I have wanted to at times, I cannot separate one from the other. As a 'health professional', information has never been the issue. 'What or How' to eat, has only been a small part of the equation. 'Why' I am making a choice, seems to get a little closer to the source. I also see that no two people, have exactly the same experience. For some, information really is the issue, and those are the folks who seem to be able to take an apply new habits easily. Oh how I have wished it were that way for me! LOL. Slow and steady, learning to be patient with myself, and some good counselling on the side... Seems to be a big part of my formula for success. Could it be, that finding our own balanced formula (diet, exercise, mental, spiritual, social, etc) is essential? 

Good luck on your journey VannieK!

I totally agree with you, psychological is te biggest hurdle I have found. It's always the bad habits that come easy, because usually they are tied to easy things...sitting eating ice cream is a lot easier that runnin a Tabata protocol right? Too bad being healthy and fit wasn't so easy lol

VinnieK, 

On July 6 I started my first Whole30 after being paleo/primal for about 5 months. I felt like it was the right time to take a leap, eat clean, and hold myself accountable. I am doing this Whole30 with my crossfit gym. 

On that day I also challenged myself to eat this way for an entire year. I thought I was the only one! Lets keep in touch as we go about this journey.

While I don't wish to be dogmatic and make myself SUFFER to stay on this eating lifestyle (i.e., not eat food rather than eat non-compliant food, or miss out on a truly unique food experience), I do think its an excellent measuring stick for life-long nutrition. I want to see if I can make it to day 45, day 60, day 100, and even day 365. If I start to go bat-crazy, start to loose interest in eating well, or progress into any other disordered eating behaviors or what not...I will stop. 

Along the way there will certainly be some days where I will make exceptions (Oktoberfest in Leavenworth WA or perhaps my birthday). And perhaps I will reach a point where I might have to take a less strict approach to sugars (since it is in EVERYTHING). Who knows...

I'm excited to hear how it goes! Best of luck! 

That's awesome, yes lets definitely keep in touch, I am sure we will need all the support we can get!

If you ever want or want to offer hints, stories, need help let me know! We can exchange emails even if you'd like.

Well started the Whole 360 today, so far so meh.....

DAY 1

Starting stats for reference: Weight: 225lbs, BF: 31%, Waist Circumference: 47" (At the belly button)

Slept right through my alarm to go to the gym, not a big deal I guess I can work out later,  but not the positive start I was wanting.

Eating well (haven't had a chance to want to cheat yet) Lean burger patty with a lot of approved hot sauce and green beans for breakfast LOL (I don't like a lot of breakfast foods)

The tought part for me is going to be not drinking soda, unfortunately I love the stuff.

Rest of the day went well, no cheating or anything of the sort!

The caffeine withdrawal headache is really getting annoying though, I know I can have tea and coffee (yuck on the coffee) but I'm trying to cut that back a bit as well.

Lunch: 2 gluten, preservative and sugar free sausages, and green beans

Dinner: 2 pickled eggs (you HAVE to try these), 2 of the same sausages I had for lunch, and broccoli

Day 1: Complete

Well started the Whole 360 today, so far so meh.....

DAY 1

Starting stats for reference: Weight: 225lbs, BF: 31%, Waist Circumference: 44"

Slept right through my alarm to go to the gym, not a big deal I guess I can work out later,  but not the positive start I was wanting.

Eating well (haven't had a chance to want to cheat yet) Lean burger patty with a lot of approved hot sauce and green beans for breakfast LOL (I don't like a lot of breakfast foods)

The tought part for me is going to be not drinking soda, unfortunately I love the stuff.

Will come back and edit how the rest of the day went once I make it through, just had some thoughts and wanted to share.

Good luck! I feel you on the not liking breakfast food... it didn't even occur to me that I could eat whatever I want (whole30 approved of course) for breakfast! 

DAY 2

Info: So far so good, had a wierd dream last night that I was eating the purple bag skittles out of a 5 gallon bucket with a giant spoodle. Yup weird. I don't even like candy all that much, but when I do eat it, its purple bag skittles! I can already feel the effects of not eating garbage. Feel thinner, and tighter around the waist.

Food Log:

Breakfast: burger and broccoli

Lunch: Chipotle Salad, chicken, no rice or beans, add guac

Dinner: sausages, broccoli, 1 pickeld egg

Snack: none

Exercise log: none

DAY 2 COMPLETE

I'm impressed with your goal and motivation!  Excited to follow your adventure!  I'm curious how you handle traveling and if you will try to eat out much or not.

Will find out soon, unexpected job offer came up and I will be flying out the weekend after this one to interview. Will be interesting, but I am sure I can do it!

Have you checked with your local Chipotle to find out about the oils that they use.  In the past, all meats had soy, except carnitas.  At mine, carnitas has it now, too.  :(  Now, I think they are transitioning to rice bran oil.  Either way is not good so make sure to ask before you eat there again.  You're way too committed and working too hard to have these unknown ingredients sneak in.

Have you checked with your local Chipotle to find out about the oils that they use.  In the past, all meats had soy, except carnitas.  At mine, carnitas has it now, too.  :(  Now, I think they are transitioning to rice bran oil.  Either way is not good so make sure to ask before you eat there again.  You're way too committed and working too hard to have these unknown ingredients sneak in.

SH*T!!! I didn't even think of that, well no more eating there unless its lettuce and guac LOL

Thanks for the heads up!

DAY 3

Info: Feeling more energy now as well as feeling healthier and slimmer over all, wierd dreams still lol, this time I was swimming in a pool that was filled with chili, and had to eat it or I would drown. I'm pretty sure there is a demon haunting my dreams lol. I am really riding high though on this challenge, thanks for the support as well as the tips as I go along, it truly does help keep me accountable, knowing someone else somewhere is reading this.

Food Log:

Breakfast: none (bad bad was too busy running around)

Lunch: Chipotle Salad, chicken, no rice or beans, add guac

Dinner: Sausages, pickled egg, organic black olives (sea salt and olives, thats it!)

Exercise log: Dry fire practice for 54 minutes (I am a competitive shooter, and do a pretty intense practice routine without live ammunition, works up a nice sweat beleive it or not!)

DAY 3 COMPLETE

DAY 4

Info: Gaining steam on this, makes you feel good to turn down the garbage foods, and helps build momentum. I haven't really had a craving yet on anything, even soda which is a rare one for me!

Food Log:

Breakfast: none- gotta make sure I eat something!

Lunch: Chicken salad with guac, and hot sauce for dressing

Dinner: Taco salad with ground beef, and homemade habanero salsa

Exercise log: None today unless XBOX is exercise lol

DAY 4 COMPLETE

DAY 5

Info: Easiest 1st week of a whole anything ever for me so far. I think the larger challenge of a complete year of this is helping me stay focused.

Food Log:

Breakfast: Taco salad with ground beef, and homemade habanero salsa

Lunch: Taco salad with ground beef, and homemade habanero salsa

Dinner: Sausages, broccoli and organic black olives

Snack: frozen fruit (organic)

Exercise log: none

DAY 5 COMPLETE

DAY 6

Info: today was shooting comp day, which usually afterwards we go to the local tavern that is near the range and have a beer or 5 and shoot the breeze about the match, scores or whatever else is out there. Then we head next door to a place called the burger barn, and stuff ourselves with a 4 patty "challenege" burger and then try to not go comatose on the ride home. Today I knew that would be an issue, so I took pre-emptive action. I car pooled with a guy that I knew doesn't hang around after the matches, so I was forced to just go home. It was tough even when all the other guys were offering to buy beers etc etc, but I stuck to it and took the ride home with the guy I rode out with and all went well. Had to skip lunch because I overlooked that fact when I packed my range bag. I have to mention also I placed 7th overall out of 44th which is NOT good for me, so I will keep working to improve that too! (dorry for the sidetrack there, but it happens as you will see if you follow this log for any amount of time....wait whats that? a shiny quarter?)

Food Log:

Breakfast: raw almonds and dried apricots (no additives)

Lunch: raw almonds and dried apricots

Dinner: Steak taco salad with lime/cilantro marinated steak, and black olives, with habanero salsa

Snack: frozen fruit (organic)

Exercise log: shooting competition - some sprinting, kneeling, and a LOT of walking around the range

DAY 6 COMPLETE

Archived