Need help with snacking

I'm on day 12 of my Whole30 and am doing a good job with compliant meals, but I'm worried that I'm messing something up when I have an afternoon snack or after dinner snack.

My afternoon snack is usually between 3pm and 4pm and consists of an apple with almond butter, veggies with sweet potato hummus, or a few olives. 

My after dinner snack is usually between 9pm and 12am and consists of a piece of fruit or a handful of mixed nuts (cashews and almonds) depending on whether I'm craving sweet or salty.

I don't have both of these snacks everyday, but often enough that I'm starting to worry that I'm not following the rules properly since I recall that I should just have 3 meals, period.

Snacks are ok, but you should have them only when you're truly hungry (the test is asking yourself could you eat steamed fish and broccoli)  and they should be a mini-meal including at least a protein and fat. Also, you want to avoid eating at least 2-3 hours before you go to bed.

The bigger the breakfast the better the day!  For me, if I don't include a lot of veggies, kale and brusells sprouts are my go tos, then I will feel snackish all day. 

The word that jumped out at me in your post though was "craving" for your after dinner snack.  That one sounds like it's habitual and not nutritional.  Try a cup of tea in its place or a hot bath, or honestly just go to bed earlier!  I was an early to bed girl during my W30, not only because I felt like I needed the extra sleep but because I wouldn't have to deal with the late night cravings. 

I'm having the same problem. Idk if it's sugar cravings or exhaustion or what. (My 2 yr old is suddenly nursing like a 2 month old all night and I have to get up at 6am and I usually can't get to bed before 11 or 1am. This is pretty much life as I know it and normally I'm not dragging like I have been this week.)

Usually I have one cup of bullet coffee in the morning, but since I switched to coconut cream instead of butter in it, I seem to feel a need for a second cup around 3ish?

I'm would eat a bigger meal, but often don't have time so I grab some fresh fruit or a Lara bar. (Those Lara Bars are now banned from the house bc they are just too tempting! :( )

What kind of mini- meals are others eating? Anything quick?

I generally don't snack but if I find myself truly hungry between meals I have a palm sized (or less serving) of chicken and a 1/4-1/2 avocado. I find that the protein fat combo usually does the trick. I work out a lot so if I feel exhausted like I really need a carb I will do the chicken with 1/2 cup sweet potatoe. I never eat fruit or nuts by themselves as a snack because you'll just be hungry for more in an hour, if not immediately after.

Oh and I usually by a whole organic cooked chicken every few days and pull it apart and store it in a Tupperware in the fridge so I always have a go to emergency protein source, aside from leftovers or uncooked meat I'm planning on eating.

Also Occupy Monsanto put out a list of GMO foods which included Lara Bars. That has kept me away from those. Like everything else, better to make your own.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Per this article, it doesn't appear that Lara Bars are GMO. http://zenbellyblog.com/2012/09/14/on-the-go-bars/ 

It's their parent company, General Mills, that opposes GMO labeling. 

In any case, if you decide to make your own, the link also includes the recipe for several varieties.

I'm having the same problem. Idk if it's sugar cravings or exhaustion or what. (My 2 yr old is suddenly nursing like a 2 month old all night and I have to get up at 6am and I usually can't get to bed before 11 or 1am. This is pretty much life as I know it and normally I'm not dragging like I have been this week.)

Usually I have one cup of bullet coffee in the morning, but since I switched to coconut cream instead of butter in it, I seem to feel a need for a second cup around 3ish?

I'm would eat a bigger meal, but often don't have time so I grab some fresh fruit or a Lara bar. (Those Lara Bars are now banned from the house bc they are just too tempting! :( )

What kind of mini- meals are others eating? Anything quick?

BF mums are supposed to eat more - I'd say you should eat a mini meal as opposed to having a coffee. Perhaps make bigger meals, but put a small portion aside to have later on?

Butter (ghee? considering we cant have butter) is a lot more calorie dense than coconut cream so you'd need a lot more cream to get the same amount of fat as a smaller amount of butter...there might be other reasons why ghee would keep you feeling full longer...

Thanks for all the input!!! I'm not much of a morning person so I'm not very hungry at breakfast, but today I forced myself to eat some more than I normally would hoping that will stave off my afternoon snack. I also have to start figuring out how to get more veggies into my breakfast since I'm not used to eating veggies at breakfast other than the occasional lettuce leaf with my smoked salmon or a few radishes. Roasted brussel sprouts might be a good option.

I did end up getting hungry in the afternoon yesterday and had an apple with almond butter. I need more go to proteins like you guys suggested.

But I made sure to feel really full from dinner last night and took a shower and brushed my teeth when I was putting my son to bed. I still was up 'til midnight but wasn't hungry at all after dinner and felt more relaxed. I just drank a couple of big glasses of water.

• 4 years later...

Archived