completed the whole30...hubby can't wait to go back to old ways! wth

imacheesehead4

my husband and i just completed the whole30. today is day31. i lost 13lbs, he lost 23. he has high blood pressure, which has come down while on the diet. we both have more energy & feel great.

he was all for the whole30, but for the last week of it all he talked about was all the old foods he cannot wait to eat again. i told him repeatedly he if focusing on the WRONG thing, and we even got into tiffs about it b/c i am sick of hearing about all the old crap food we used to eat & put in our bodies when we feel so much better now!

i worry that he is going to gain the weight back (he had a big belly w/ family history of heart issues) and go back to his old ways in no time. i find myself being judgemental of him when he makes these comments about food and feel like i am waiting for him to fail b/c of the stuff he says. even his family has told me they don't see him sticking with this long term.

anyone else in a similar situation? any thoughts on how to be motivating w/o NAGGING?!

i thought if he made it through the whole30 it would be an easy transition for both of us, but i guess not....

I was the same towards the end of my first Whole30 - i planned all my reintros around chocolate & biscuits :-P Too late i found out this was a form of extinction burst cravings, when your old brain takes one last desperate attempt to get its sugar/wheat/whatever fix back. So after 6 months i did another Whole30 (it took me that long to convince my brain unfortunately!). Forewarned is forearmed as they say, i felt the same cravings but was ready to see them for what they were, & added an as-yet-undetermined number of days (i started June 10 & still going). You may not be able to make your husband listen to any of this, but you may be able to steer him towards another Whole30 at a later date? Trying to force him will only make him dig his heels in. Lead by quiet example & wait for him to come round. Good luck!

Congratulations on the results you both achieved!!

Out of curiosity, why did your husband agree to go on the Whole30 to begin with?  It sounds like he's hasn't bought into this way of eating as a lifestyle for his long-term health.

At the end of the day, he needs to make his own decisions and live with the consequences.

Maybe you can at least encourage him to do a controlled reintroduction, so he can see what foods most bother him and how.  After that, it's his bike to ride.  If you want to stay on the Whole30 way of eating, keep cooking the Whole30 way and if he doesn't like it, he can cook his own meals, no nagging or judgment involved.  :)

I agree with GFChris. You are both adults. You can't force him to make the change. You can encourage it but you can't force it. My husband eats a completely SAD diet even though he has a lot of digestive issues. I would love to have him try this but at the end of the day all I can be is a good example and hope he will get sick of feeling crappy some day and learn to love veggies more and pizza less. 

I wouldn't say anything about his garbage-food-fest and let the side effects of it speak for themselves. You could encourage him to follow the reintro schedule and view it as learning how things do affect you. Chances are he won't like the weight creeping back and whatever other nasty symptoms crop up and you will be right there with healthy food waiting.

I had the same thing with my hubby. Growing up, his mother hated to cook and would just throw things together like rice/hotdogs/ketchup and mixed veggies and bake it as a casserole, and even now she hates to cook. Personally, if she learned how to cook she might like it better, but anyway hubby and his mom are like it is a hole to be filled and it doesn't matter what it is or what it tastes like. When hubby and I got married, he lived on spaghetti, pizza and (gulp) am/pm/ 7-11 burgers. ugh! I managed to change his eating habits at home but when he was on the road and away, he reverted back to junk. I read Nourishing Traditions and started preparing foods that way and eventually found primal and on over to paleo/whole 30. He did do my first whole 30 with me, but only in a support mode--as soon as the 30 days were over, he jumped right back into the way he had been eating before, even though he lost inches, weight felt better, slept better and I think he did his whole re-intro in 4 days. I have been 90 percent paleo since my whole 30, but he likes to hit taco bell and such, but at home, it is paleo (I have cream or greek yogurt so that's why I am not pure W30).WELL, the bells went off this past weekend. He wanted pizza and I told him to go ahead and get it. He ordered a family size Cowboy pizza from Papa Murphys and ate half Thursday night. Well, the wheat demon hit him Friday at work and he has finally agreed with me that this is the way to be. He was in horrible pain Friday and ended up tossing what was left of the pizza.

Point to my oh so long story is, perhaps your hubby will feel so craptastic after he gloms onto his old favorites that he will realize that this is the better way to be.  

Archived