Paleo Beginner

Ann

I am the definition of a newbie - I'm new to paleo, and this is my first Whole30. I started on Monday (7/9-8/8). I did the South Beach Diet several years ago, which seems somewhat similar (in SBD phase 1), and I do remember completely losing my sugar craving and heathier eating habits sticking for a long time. But the junk slowly crept back in, and as of a couple of weeks ago, I was eating burgers at McDonalds. *blush* I bought a copy of ISWF a couple weeks ago, and decided to give this a shot. I must admit, I'm a little skeptical about the amount of fat I'm consuming (156g on day 1!), but I'm going to stick with it and see what happens. (and I'm going to stop counting fat/calories/carbs :o )

I'm doing pretty good - the closest thing to a cheat so far is the Advil I took this morning because I'm having mild headaches and my lower back is hurting (caffeine withdrawal?) I think my biggest hurdles will be giving up my nightly glass(es) of wine, and staying on track on the weekends when I don't have a full day at the office to keep me distracted/away from the fridge. And social things – I'm meeting friends for a “drink†after work tomorrow, and am trying to plan a strategy – San Pellegrino with a slice of lime, and maybe I can get a plate of fresh veggies? (and look AWAY from the bread and cheese plate!)

I'm a single mom, and my youngest graduated from high school a month ago. Now I have two in college (one at home, one away), and I feel like it's time for me to focus on ME for awhile. I'd like to shed some pounds, sleep better, have more energy, and just feel better in general. Feeling optimistic that this will get me there!

Ann

I can so relate to what you said, have two who recently graduated from college. For so long worried about everyone but myself so now am so focused. I am on day 17 first few days were hard but seemed so much easier as you go, plan to stick very close to this after the 30 days, might make a banana bread from Paleo Comfort Foods but other than that will stay on this.

Is taking Advil a cheat because I have arthritis and usually don't take it but am also going to Physical Therapy and have needed it to deal with some pain. Haven't had any for months but since starting PT have had to take it a couple of times.

Hope someone will answer because other than that everything has been strict Whole 30.

Thanks, Tom! I guess I thought it was a no-no because someone on another topic posted this quote from the Success Guide:

NSAIDs: It has long been demonstrated that non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs like Advil, Tylenol and Aleve disrupt the lining of the gut, leading to intestinal permeability, a contributing factor in autoimmune disease. Avoid all NSAIDs while on your Whole30. If you've got a headache, feel free to take plain old aspirin... or just tough it out.

Archived