Been on Whole30 for two weeks.. still no energy to work out!

I can't remember what I ate in the days prior to my Monday run. I haven't been keeping a food diary.... Oh well.

Okay; went for a run today and still feeling sluggish. Here's what I ate the last 3 days (and this morning). I will put it out there that I am a police officer/shift worker and so finding a schedule for my meals is a huge challenge. Often, I eat when I can so though some days I have good intentions if I am busy I can't always sit down to eat the lunch I prepare and have to run with hand held foods like boiled eggs, nuts, tuna, fruit etc that I can keep in my bag or scoff on the run. I also don't get to eat dinner with my husband as much as I'd like, so I try to schedule my meals with him when I can which means if I go for a workout before he comes home from work, I'm just going to eat dinner - not a post workout meal and THEN dinner because it means I don't eat with him and it's something that is important to me and our relationship. These aren't excuses, I'm just putting it into context. Completely open to suggestions and criticism. Looking over this I know it is far from perfect and I'm still snacking and not eating solid enough meals. Also, I drink around 2-3 litres of water every day not including herbal teas and black coffee 

Tues - rest day

M1: 3 eggs scrambled with roasted butternut squash and pine-nuts and a drizzle of olive oil

M2: Banana and a tin of tuna

M3: Roasted potatoes, parsnips and carrots in duck fat and a tin of tuna (planned on going and getting some chicken but work got hectic so I ate what I had)

M4: Ground lamb with onions and pine nuts in lettuce wraps (hungry after the lacklustre lunch)

M5: two crispy skinned chicken thighs with steamed broccoli and carrots and half an avocado

Snack: 2 handfuls mixed nuts (macadamias, almonds, walnuts and cashews) and a handful of dates 

Weds - 20 mins light weights and stretching and 30 min spin class

M1: 3 eggs smashed with half an avocado and about 1/3 of a half roasted butternut squash

M2: banana

M3: Ground lamb with onion and pine nuts wrapped in lettuce wraps and half an avocado

M4/pre-workout: Apple (I know, it's not the best choice - it's all I had

Gym

M5: Grilled salmon steak with steamed brocoli, carrots and roasted butternut squash (I ate this pretty much as soon as I got home from my workout. It was dinner time and I didn't see the point having 2 meals. I struggle when it comes to times I workout around meal times)

Thurs - rest day:

M1: 3 eggs and a banana

M2: Apple and tin of tuna (M1 and 2 were a result of severe lack of preparation and are not typical!)

M3: Mixing bowl full of mixed green salad, cucumber, capsicum, ground lamb cooked with onions and pine-nuts and then leftover chicken thigh including skin 

M4: 350gm pork chop grilled with sauteed red cabbage

Friday - 5km run (struggle!)

M1: 1 medium sweet potato hashed with 3 fried eggs

No pre-workout meal as I was still full from M1 when I went for the run

PWO: tuna (no oil) and roasted beetroot.

NazzaB-

In general, I think you need to try to stick to three meals (plus pre- and post- workout meals).  And in order to do that you probably need more protein and fat.  Also, if you do feel that you need a snack, you should always have fat and protein in your snacks.  I've made some comments on your eating below.  Not trying to nitpick; definitely just trying to help you.

If you slow down your paces, can you still get through your runs?  There is a huge gap for me between training paces and race paces.  Don't sweat it.  I pretty much follow the "train low; race high" way of eating with regards to carb intake.  You will have finished your W30 by the time the race comes, right?  It's not a bad idea to carbo load leading up to the race to give you a boost.  Build your endurance at slow paces and fewer carbs, then you will be able to race faster.  For example, my normal training paces can be up to 2 minutes per mile slower than my half marathon (21km) race pace.  You don't need to run your training paces fast to build endurance.  

For now, I would really focus on eating more (more fat especially) at each meal so that you can feel satisifed with three meals (plus pre- and post- WO mini meals ).

Best wishes to you!

Tues - rest day

M1: 3 eggs scrambled with roasted butternut squash and pine-nuts and a drizzle of olive oil - Not bad, but if you needed another meal before lunch, maybe you could have eaten another egg with your breakfast.

M2: Banana and a tin of tuna - It would have been better to have some fat instead of the banana.  Maybe half an avocado or some olives with the tuna

M3: Roasted potatoes, parsnips and carrots in duck fat and a tin of tuna (planned on going and getting some chicken but work got hectic so I ate what I had) - Looks pretty good, as long as the duck fat was 1-2 'thumb sized' portions.

M4: Ground lamb with onions and pine nuts in lettuce wraps (hungry after the lacklustre lunch) - This is a pretty good snack

M5: two crispy skinned chicken thighs with steamed broccoli and carrots and half an avocado - If you needed the subsequent snack, maybe try this meal but eat the whole avocado, or add some additional fat (olives or something)

Snack: 2 handfuls mixed nuts (macadamias, almonds, walnuts and cashews) and a handful of dates 

Weds - 20 mins light weights and stretching and 30 min spin class

M1: 3 eggs smashed with half an avocado and about 1/3 of a half roasted butternut squash - Ok

M2: banana - We are discouraged from eating fruit by itself.  Any meal/snack should have some protein and fat (with the exception of the post workout snack which should just be starchy veg and protein)

M3: Ground lamb with onion and pine nuts wrapped in lettuce wraps and half an avocado

M4/pre-workout: Apple (I know, it's not the best choice - it's all I had At least you know.  Try to do better next time.  A handful of nuts would have been a better choice.

Gym

M5: Grilled salmon steak with steamed brocoli, carrots and roasted butternut squash (I ate this pretty much as soon as I got home from my workout. It was dinner time and I didn't see the point having 2 meals. I struggle when it comes to times I workout around meal times) This works pretty well as your post WO meal.

Thurs - rest day:

M1: 3 eggs and a banana - Fat?  I see your note below so you know..

M2: Apple and tin of tuna (M1 and 2 were a result of severe lack of preparation and are not typical!)

M3: Mixing bowl full of mixed green salad, cucumber, capsicum, ground lamb cooked with onions and pine-nuts and then leftover chicken thigh including skin Good

M4: 350gm pork chop grilled with sauteed red cabbage  Maybe some more fat?

Friday - 5km run (struggle!)

M1: 1 medium sweet potato hashed with 3 fried eggs Not bad, as long as you had adequate fat and felt full till your next meal

No pre-workout meal as I was still full from M1 when I went for the run

PWO: tuna (no oil) and roasted beetroot. Good

You have gotten some good feedback from Derek and I concur that eating more in general will help a lot. Remember that the servings on the template are minimums and you should play with them until you are satiated. This might take a bit more preparation and planning on your days off but it will be well worth it. Because you are specifically concerned about energy levels you might want to play with the timings of your starchy vegetables. I've found for me that having fruit or starchy vegetables in the morning often doesn't help my energy levels but I usually include starchy vegetables (and my rare fruits) in meals 2 and 3. I understand how hard it is to time good meals when your schedule is all over the place. You mention that you are a police officer, does this indicate a fairly active job? 

Thanks Derek for your really good advice. I have a question about fat and eggs... if I'm eating 3 or 4 eggs, are the yolks not considered fat? I'm not adverse to eating extra fat I was just wondering.

Physibeth - being a police officer is actually quite a sedentary job; patrolling around in a car or sitting at a desk doing paper work all day is what it mostly entails. BUT, I need to be able to be active at a moment's notice (ie: foot chase or a wrestle with an aggressive offender). I wouldn't say my work requires any extra food but shift work definitely affects my energy levels so the type of food I eat is really important. 

I am on day 24 so will use the rest of the time to play around with the meal template and try to eat 3 larger meals instead of 4 or 5 smaller ones. I'm considering doing a W45 but I will see how I feel on day 30. I'm definitely not going all back to my old ways straight away regardless.

• 3 years later...

I’m on day 3 and really really tired. At work this morning a colleague asked me twice if  I was ok because  I seemed down. I guess the lethargy showed in my face. I’m downing some coffee now hoping for a boost but don’t want to start depending on caffeine for a pick me up. I’ve been eating homemade sasauges with 2 eggs and, fresh squeezed OJ for breakfast. A banana for morning snack. Chicken salad with homemade mayo over lettuce with tomatoes for lunch. Almonds for a snack. Seared chicken with mixed veggies (broccoli, cauliflower, carrot) for dinner. And a strawberry banana smoothie for desert. With Working 40 hours a week then home to an infant and pre teen I need all the energy I can get.  Any suggestions for foods to help increase energy? I’m only 3 days in and for health reasons really need to be successful on the Whole 30. 

• Administrators
15 minutes ago, Intentional said:

I’m on day 3 and really really tired. At work this morning a colleague asked me twice if  I was ok because  I seemed down. I guess the lethargy showed in my face. I’m downing some coffee now hoping for a boost but don’t want to start depending on caffeine for a pick me up. I’ve been eating homemade sasauges with 2 eggs and, fresh squeezed OJ for breakfast. A banana for morning snack. Chicken salad with homemade mayo over lettuce with tomatoes for lunch. Almonds for a snack. Seared chicken with mixed veggies (broccoli, cauliflower, carrot) for dinner. And a strawberry banana smoothie for desert. With Working 40 hours a week then home to an infant and pre teen I need all the energy I can get.  Any suggestions for foods to help increase energy? I’m only 3 days in and for health reasons really need to be successful on the Whole 30. 

I don't really have any suggestions on what you can add for energy, just what you can remove. We solidly frown on drinking juice during your Whole30. It's a sugar hit with no fibre and will cause a blood sugar spike. Put that aside to begin with. Add veggies and fat to your breakfast. If you need a morning snack, have protein and fat, not just a banana. That is another big sugar hit that will keep your blood sugar unstable and really not do much for you otherwise. Try to make your lunch large enough that you don't need the almonds as a snack. Our recommendation is to build your meals so that you can get 4-5 hours in between and thus not need to snack. This is better for your digestion and for hormone balancing and energy.

The strawberry banana smoothie is yet another big hit of liquid sugar. Smoothies are highly discouraged, especially fruit heavy ones and especially when using them as "dessert". 

Think big picture for the energy. Eat protein, fat and veggies. Limited fruits. No liquid sugars. The "tiger blood" energy comes from hormone balancing which comes from eating to the template and turning away from the quick to burn energy sources like juice and smoothies. You want your body to become fat adapted so that it can easily switch to burning fat for fuel which is where the big energy comes from. You won't get there eating this much sugar and this often, unfortunately.

1 hour ago, Intentional said:

Thank you! I will adjust now! I  clearly need to get my book back out and reread it. 

You suggest fat. What are some examples of fat? Maybe avocado?

Olives are great, make a mayo and then turn it into other sauces (tons of different ideas out there, google w30 mayo sauce), salad dressings with olive oil, coconut shreds, guacamole.

• Administrators
25 minutes ago, BettYoung said:

I noticed several responses note that almond butter is not good for energy. I have never heard this. Can anyone explain why? I'm eating quite a bit of it at this point (day 11).

Nuts are recommended to be limited (think: closed handful every other day). For a nut product like almond butter you're looking at a tbsp every other day at most.

Nuts are misbalanced in their Omega ratios (too much 6 which we are all overloaded on) and can be distressing to your gut. They are also hard to stop once you start for so many people so we really recommend you branch out to other fat sources.

I'm kind of in the same boat. I'm on day 12. My workouts seem fine (that's the kind of part), but after I feel like I have been hit by a bus. This happened yesterday and today. Yesterday it was a after a 4 mile run, and today after a 45 minute spin class. I never recovered yesterday and it did ruin the Saturday night I had planned with my husband as I couldn't stay awake, so  I made sure I ate a Lara Bar before my spin class (I only eat these before I workout and only if I am on the run), and after I had sweet potato benedict with 2 eggs. I've not read the down side of almond butter, and I ate it in my breakfast this morning, so can someone explain that to me.   Yesterday, I had brussel sprouts, bacon and 2 eggs for breakfast, 2 cups of coffee in between. As soon as I finished my run I had a mixture of apple sauce, pumpkin, nuts and seeds.  I am eating more food than I ever eat: three solid/big meals plus 2 heft snacks of fruit and nuts in between, but if you tell me to eat more, I'll give it a shot. Other than these post workout days I feel great.

Archived