Anyone else starting July 22nd?

primalamy

I had 3 eggs (bc that's what fit in my hand, but I couldn't finish), roasted Brussels sprouts (leftover from last night's dinner), avocado, jalapeño and followed it up with coffee with coconut milk and a pluot.

I've never had coffee after breakfast before; it's always the reverse. it's wasn't as tough as I thought.

• Replies 322
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am in! There's another July 22 thread floating around that I also checked in on.

I'm heather, and my husband and I and three kids (21 mos, 5, 7) are starting today. We did our first whole30 in Feb and I fell off halfway through due to getting the flu & a sinus infection and not having the ability/desire to keep up with the food prep in that state. My husband finished and since then, we have kept many of our whole30 habits. Mainly a nice brunch and compliant dinner. But overall we have drifted to paleo with occasional cheats. We have both been working out regularly at home too. We want to fine tune our diet again and head into the new school year feeling at the top of our game.

Hi everyone! I started my Whole 30 today! I would like to join this group as well. This will be my second Whole30 and the first time I made it to day 28 but gave in on Mothers Day to some treats. Then slowly have gotten way off track! I have PCOS and Hashimoto's. Those are my two main motivations for doing this. This time I dont want to fall back into my old habits. Having a support group last time was key to my success! We started a facebook group and I loved it! If anyone would be interested in doing that let me know. Good Luck to you all!

Welcome everyone!  I am doing ok, I brought my lunch to work today and then around 10am I realized I had a work lunch planned!  I went to a restaurant and had plain chicken and a romaine lettuce with olive oil and vinegar.   I ate some pecans when I got back to work because I knew it was not enough.   Tonight I am going to get the salmon and veggies I missed out on at lunch.

Wendoger - maybe hardboiled eggs, jerkey, sugar snap peas, nuts?

Thanks for the tips! I think prepping veggies has been the most time comsuming and I just need to cook more at a time which is what I will do. Good luck today, everyone!

Lisa - a few more ideas for you. I have three little ones and am fortunate to be able to stay at home with them all the time...but man, I do spend a LOT of time in the kitchen (and also planning meals/shopping!) in order for us to eat this way.

First, if you have a slow cooker/crock pot, there are endless great recipes out there, and they couldn't be easier. There are a lot you can find on blogs for free (and there was even a free e-book out there on Amazon on this topic). There are also a couple of Paleo slow cooker books out there, I even found two at my library so didn't have to buy them.

Next, there are a couple go-to snacks for the kids (like when they are about to have a meltdown from hunger) that I prepare. One is homemade Larabars...not everyone here is cool with dates, although I think officially they are compliant. They are VERY sweet. Dates are the basis for most larabars. BUT you can make them in about 10 minutes and have a quick snack ready in the fridge for a few days afterward. Again you can google recipes for this, my favorites are 'apple pie' made with salted cashews, raw almonds, dates, nutmeg, cinnamon and apple sauce; and 'chocolate brownie' made with walnuts, cacao powder (pure, unsweetened), dates and vanilla.

Another quick snack - I buy a lot of bananas when they are on sale for a good price, and slice them up and freeze them. They are so yummy frozen and my kids love them. We eat them as is, with a little almond butter, and even blended in the food processor with coconut milk and vanilla to make paleo 'ice cream'. Again, these pack a lot of sugar but are good as occasional treats.

Oh - another idea, esp for breakfast and lunch, is a 'plate' of different whole/raw foods, really whatever you have on hand. For breakfast I will give all of them fruit (fresh or frozen), nuts, a few raisins, raw baby carrots, avocado and bits of leftover dinner or maybe hard boiled egg. Same idea for lunch. I put it on those partitioned kid plates and they look really lovely and enticing. ;)

Hope that helps some. Bottom line is that yes, it is a lot of work and there's no way around it really. BUT in my experience it is totally worth the benefits. I have seen great changes in my kids and love that they are thriving on eating REAL food. :)

I'm so glad that we have a lot of people who started today!

For some reason I am not very hungry today. I always have green tea in the morning and today I added some gelatin to it. I ate some blueberries while I drank my tea.

I made a huge veggie stir fry and added some organic ground beef, and then topped it off with sauerkraut. I had that for breaksfat and lunch, but my portions were not very big. I have plenty of leftovers for tomorrow. I also made some pork chops that I will be having for dinner tonight with some broccoli and a salad.

So far ok today, had eggs and sausage for breakfast/lunch around 1pm. Had to be out way earlier than normal this morning so didnt have time to eat till I got back. Haven't been hungry this afternoon, mostly cause I have a major headache thanks to my pre w30 binge, I know better and somehow I just couldn't help myself. O well fresh start today.

Hey all! So glad to see so many of you and all the support and updates.

This is a first for me so it's going to be a lot of trial and error to figure out how much I should eat each day.

Breakfast; two over-easy eggs and 4 sautéed zucchini slices.

Lunch; salad with leftover roast beef and homemade balsamic vinegar dressing. I worked all morning and afternoon (construction, constant movement) and was feeling a bit hungry upon arrival home so I split a banana with my dog to tie me over until dinner.

Dinner is looking like baked cod, roasted sweet potatoes with rosemary and sea salt, green beans with toasted almonds, and some side salad (romaine, kale, chard, and baby spinach.)

I'm going to make a big something or other to take for breakfast for the next few days, something a little more substantial, and so I don't have to wake up even earlier to cook.

Overall I feel good so far, bar hungrier than usual, and hope everyone else is doing good too!

Sounds like everyone is having a good first day. I had 2 eggs & spinach for breakfast. Lunch was salad mix with spinach, tuna & a hard boiled egg. Dinner was grilled chicken, zucchini, baked sweet potato fries and a few blackberries... Which were sour :(. I'm feeling good and excited there are so many experienced people on this thread! I need to get my meals planned out for the week but know I have a big challenge for Wednesday.

I am going to the baseball game on Wednesday...what should I eat?? I can bring food in with me. I just know the beer and brats will be so tempting but I will not give in!

Good day with food - but a huge reminder of how I did it when I first started Paleo almost 2 years ago.  Cook, make sure there are enough veggies, plan ahead, shop, cook... Worth it to clean up my act!  Hope all are doing reasonably well on this first day. 

Ellen of course you can join us!

Thank you!

So far so good - just felt very sluggish and tired in my workout today. I can't figure out if it was simply HARDER or if my diet is making me more tired! Granted, I do think I need to eat more - breakfast is a toughie for me (time, no appetite, etc)

Sounds like everyone is having a good first day. I had 2 eggs & spinach for breakfast. Lunch was salad mix with spinach, tuna & a hard boiled egg. Dinner was grilled chicken, zucchini, baked sweet potato fries and a few blackberries... Which were sour :(. I'm feeling good and excited there are so many experienced people on this thread! I need to get my meals planned out for the week but know I have a big challenge for Wednesday.

I am going to the baseball game on Wednesday...what should I eat?? I can bring food in with me. I just know the beer and brats will be so tempting but I will not give in!

Ooo maybe grill some chicken tenderloins ahead of time so they could be like grilled chicken fingers? Easy to eat! Then you could dip in guacamole or homemade mayo if its not too messy. Then there are always easy to eat veggies/fruit - baby carrots, sliced peppers, apples, grapes. I used to nosh on whole tomatoes - delicious with some salt sprinkled on!

Hope that's helpful!

Sounds like everyone had a great Day 1!  We have a big group, I hope that everyone can make it to the end.  

Just take one day at a time and make sure to plan out all your meals ahead of time and dont forget to think of all the stumbling blocks and events that will be put in your way.

Together we can do this.  On to Day 2!!!

Happy Twos Day, all! I hope day 2 goes well for all of you.

I woke up HUNGRY!! I started my day with a spicy grass fed ground beef Mexican mix with jalapeños, bell peppers and tomatoes served on top of wilted spinach with an over easy egg and avocado. I had no trouble finishing my breakfast today! Now I'm sitting with my coffee.

Having my coffee AFTER breakfast seems to be the hardest habit to break thus far.

Have a great day.

P.S. I make my own Taco Seasoning (that's what I used to season my ground beef). I love it and have been using it for years. One batch seasons 4-5 lbs of ground beef for me, but you can adjust per your taste.

1 T chili powder

1/4 tsp garlic powder

1/4 tsp onion powder

1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes

1/4 tsp oregano

1/2 tsp paprika

1 1/2 tsp cumin

1 tsp sea salt

1 tsp black pepper

Store in a glass jar with lid.

I'm in.

I did a whole 45 in December/January and loved it.  I tried again in April and late May and fell off after 10 days each time.  I want to make it work this time.

Monday was a great day...  so far so good....

Snowflower - thank you for the taco seasoning recipe!!!  I am going to use that to make chili soon :)

I did good yesterday, I did end the day with fruit and nuts that were not planned.  I finished dinner and did not feel satisfied so I had that....looking back I should have gotten an avocado or something like that.   I am finding that eating enough fat is key, yesterday I did not have dinner until 6:30 and I was ok....usually I would have eaten a whole bag of chips at 5pm if I had to wait for dinner that long.

Today's menu:

eggs, pumpkin, pecans and coconut milk

lunch: roasted veg with burger patty

dinner: pulled chicken and broccoli

I made homemade mayo last night, using the recipe linked to in the website section which clarifies questions about what you can and can't have on the whole30.  As promised, it was both easy and delicious.  The world of tuna, egg, salmon salad is now open - protein and fat nicely combined.

A more challenging day today for me, leaving the house after breakfast (a fried egg and a sweet potato) - with food for both lunch and dinner (after staying up way, way, way too late to pick my son up at the airport - flight delayed, etc...).  BUT!  mission accomplished.  I have leftovers from last night's dinner of veggie and chicken stew, and some tuna with mayo, lettuce leaves to put it on, and an apple and some cashews just in case more is needed.  

Good day to all!

Snowflower, your breakfast sounds sooooo good. I wish I wasn't doing the autoimmune protocol.

My meals today are the same as yesterday. I had lots of leftovers. Ground beef stir fry for breakfast and lunch and pork chops with broccoli for dinner.

I spent the morning defrosting, cleaning and organizing our extra freezer. My husband and I get a meat share from a local farm and we get another 20 pounds of meat on Thursday. I am excited to see what we get this time.

Archived