Anyone else starting July 22nd?

primalamy

Happy Day 5!

I do not like the breakfast hash I made yesterday , but I have another 2 meals worth. Ugh! I hate to waste all those good ingredients. I had it for breakfast again today. Though I didn't like it, it kept me satisfied for a solid 5 hours. And I do like that! I'd make it again, but leave out the apples and deglaze the pan with something other than cider (maybe broth). The taste is too apple-y.

I loved the no-fuss salmon cakes from the book. I made those with the tartar sauce from the book....that tartar sauce is heavenly!

No food dreams last night and I haven't felt like killing anyone yet today. :) It's still early.

Have a great one!

• Replies 322
  • Created
  • Last Reply

TGIF and Happy Day 5!

Some lessons learned this first week - pre-cooking everything makes WAY too much. Freezer is gonna get stocked tonight with leftover left overs. I am normally one who can eat the same thing every day and not care...but this has been a bit much. Have about had my fill of hard boiled eggs and chicken! : )

Question - anyone else here feel like they have been hit by a bus? Honest to goodness I am so physically exhausted and tired I can't wait for this day to be over. Today is really my first day feeling like this. At least the headache seems to be gone!

Jen

Had a victory last night.  My Home Church always serves dinner when we meet and lots of sweets.  It was pizza and krispy cream and cookies galore!!!  I ate before I went and took a sliced apple with me in the event I was tempted....which I was.  I ate my apple and did not eat anything else.  This is hugh for me as suger is my crack!!!  I have my prayer warriors keeping tabs on me as well.  Accountability is good!!!

38flamingo

I know what you mean.  I actually put my scale in a closet so I wouldn't see it in the bathroom everyday.  I know it has just been 5 days but clothes seem to be fitting a little better.  Not as tight.   Therefore, it makes me curious to see what the change is.  But I really want to wait until after my 30 days so I will bite the bullet and not go near the scale.

Way to go team - we are all doing so well!  I had a breakfast meeting this moring and had two eggs with tomato slices - I ate more when I got home since that was not enough.   I did not have a single bite of toast or grits, which is amazing for me.  Today I am feeling much better than I did last night when I went to bed with an almond butter headache.

Salemister - I hear you, eating the same thing is not fun.  I was dying yesterday and thankfully had a pack of Applegate roast beef, it saved me and gave me that sandwich feeling.  I mashed up some avocado, spices and mayo put that in a lettuce leave with roast beef and it was great.  Was a good change from all of the "dinner" type food I have been eating.  Eveyrone keeps saying that you can leftovers for breakfast, lunch and dinner.  Although that sounds convenient...that means I am eating the same thing all of the time.  The "old" me ate very different things for B L and D...so I need to work on coming up with my own Whole30 ideas vs just having sauteed veggies with meat all the time. 

Dandid - good to know I am not alone with the sweets and almond butter obsession.  I am happy that I have nixed it now...otherwise it would haunt me for the next 25 days.

GF - thank you for sharing your story, very helpful info.

taylortubbie - way 2 go!  That is a huge victory, your planning paid off big time.  I keep telling myself that - Only you can keep things in control...and if you slip you only have yourself to blame.

Have a great day everyone - this weekend only has one dinner party invovled, but it is at my  house, so I can control what is served. yeah!

taylor tubbie - I am hoping that from this whole30 I can rid the scale from my life for good.  It has never done me any good!  Previously if I would weigh less than I expected I would feel good and naturally allow myself more to eat.  If I weighed more than I expected I would immediately feel terrible about myself...just terrible and then feel so bad that I would want to eat to make myself feel better.  Weighing myself daily did nothing over the last 5 years to help me lose very much weight - it only hurt my self esteem and body image.  I am going to go off of jeans and dresses and how those fit...that is what really matters anyway!

stay strong....it is only a piece of plastic and metal, it has no power

Good morning all!  I also started 7/22 but found the forum later on! Yesterday I felt horrible and tired...must have been that "carb flu" but I won't feed the Sugar Monkey!!  Today I felt much better. We had a breakfast meeting at work and I brought Whole30-friendly deviled eggs, my own veggies and coconut milk for my cup of coffee.  Hooray!

Day 5, so good.  I feel really good today.  I Went to spin class this morning and pooped out, no gas.  But I feel elated. A nice egg breakfast with avocados and I am good to go.  Remember to eat a lot of the right stuff and it pays off.  I work hard to avoid fruit and nuts-- but always have some everyday.

This weekend will be the test.  I am ready.

Keep it up!!!

Whole Amy -  Yes, agreed about the desire to have 3 different meals!  Breakfast is the biggest challenge and the place where in the past I have eventually wandered the most from paleo.  I'm thinking of it as the thing I'll really work with for these 30 days, and if after the 30 I want to add some things back, it just might be some almond flour bread and similar products, and yoghurt.  Also, having some seedy or almond flour crackers used to make a huge difference for lunch.  But that all remains to be seen.  For lunch I have also done lettuce wraps with great success - also wrapping things in Nori seaweed as Nori rolls.  Will keep working on breakfast variety for now.  Don't know what I'll think or feel in 30 days!

Jen, yes! I am exhausted. Not a bit hungry, but so tired.

I hid my scale under my shoe rack in my closet on Sunday (Day 0) hoping it would lead to out of site out of mind, but I had a getting on the scale dream!! Not a food dream, but a scale dream! Shows how whacked my priorities are. :)

I'm not cooking at all today. It's an all leftover day.

I had my leftover chicken, sweet potato, arugula, apple hash for breakfast.

Leftover Salmon cakes with heavenly tartar sauce and green beans for lunch.

Leftover grassfed ribeye, asparagus and baked sweet potato for dinner. (+ a pluot or peach or cherries if desired)

I haven't snacked at all since day 2! I do the thinking of steamed fish and broccoli trick......if I wouldn't eat that then I'm not hungry. So I have a glass of water and get busy with something else.

I broiled a peach slathered in coconut oil and then sprinkled with cinnamon and some sliced almonds on Day 3! That was amazing.

Forgive my disjointed message.....I'll blame my tiredness.

Wanted to put a shout out on here - almost to the end of my work day and my anxiety of getting through the weekend just kicked in for some reason. It's so much easier to stay on target during the week when I am at work and have a schedule, admit I am a little nervous about getting through this first Whole30 weekend. The weekend glass of wine will be missed more than anything, lol.

Hope everyone has a great weekend! Am really glad I found our "team" - y'all and the comments on here have helped so much already!

Jen :)

Happy Day 5 and TGIF   :)

I hear you about missing the glass of wine!  Tonight will be a good test to stay on track.  I am also feeling very run down and tired today, which is strange because this morning I had plenty of energy.  It is so much easier to stay on track during the week then the week-end.  

Food has been great this week and I have been doing all the cooking which has been hard for my Husband, who loves to cook.  He just forgets all the details about no soy sauce and no bottled sauce at all.  But a minor adjustment and I am staying on plan.

Good luck to everyone this weekend.  Remember to plan and then plan some more.

Day 5 has been great for me. I worked out this morning and just have been feeling good and energized all day. I'm cautious to see how long the feeling will last. Wondering if I'll crash this weekend.

Demos88- thanks for helping me describe how I feel. "Elated". I've been telling my husband how good I feel and how good my body feels but just couldn't put my finger on how to describe my feeling.

And for all those talking about the scale.....yeah, it's been a bit of a temptation for me. I'm used to weighing every day and thought i could get through without stepping on it. I was feeling really good yesterday and just couldn't resist checking out my progress :). I had lost 1.4 lbs!! Now im feeling that I don't want to jinx myself and may need to just have my husband hide it.

Good luck to everyone this weekend!!

I felt really good this morning. I had left over chicken soup with avocados for breakfast and finally finished my pork chop for lunch. But then I had to run some errands and take my cat to the vet, and when I got home I didn't feel like cooking at all. But I also didn't want chicken soup again, so I sucked it up and made some ground pork and veggies. The pork is from my organic meat share, and it's soooo good. Good meat really does make a difference.

I'm glad I didn't give in to the temptation of eating out.

Primal Amy- yes, good meat tastes totally different. I had a grass fed organic flank steak a few weeks ago that was like eating candy! Honestly, the meat was sweet and so tender. Happy you finally finished off the pork chops!

Today I woke up at 5am and realized that I'd not moved all night, usually I am a restless sleeper and change positions a good bit. I went back to bed until almost 7 and woke up refreshed. I am really feeling different, I am sure my husband is tired of hearing me talk about meat and fat already. It is such a change from the vegan way I was eating a few months ago.

Late yesterday I was sitting on the couch thinking, I want sugar, bread and sweets now just as much as I did when I regularly ate them. I ate them but never felt satisfied, and knew they were not good for me, so I felt bad when eating them.

Lastly, my mood is sooooo much more positive! My husband noted that I am not getting as frustrated with the kids, and I just feel happier - I can't wait to see how happy I will be on day 30. I am not turning back now!

WOO HOO! Day 6! it's almost been a week and I am so excited to say I've been 100% compliant.

I'm sleeping very poorly though. I'm hoping that'll pass.

I'm heading away for the weekend today and have talked with my family about my food restrictions. They are serving stuffed grilled trout tonight (I'll have mine unstuffed) and grilled flank steak tomorrow night (I'll bring my own compliant seasoning). They are very accommodating and are accustomed to having multiple options. My mother-in-law has been eating Atkins style for 6 years so meals are never carb focused when she is eating. I'll be on my own for breakfast and lunch so I'll bring my leftover chicken hash (yup still eating that!) and warm that in the microwave for breakfast and I've got 2 salmon cakes left. I'll bring a can of compliant tuna just in case.

Just an FYI....I read on another thread that some canned tuna has soy in in! I checked and the Bumblebee mini cans do have soy!! The 365 Tuna I have does not!

Have a wonderful Whole30 weekend.

Day 6!  Woke up with a little carb hangover.  Not a big deal.

When I did the Whole30 in January, I told everyone I was doing a 30 day challenge to see how I felt without sugar, bread and pasta.  It was easier than trying to explain why I was so vain to try to lose a few extra pounds.

Good luck today...

Well due to a family emergency and staying at the hospital I was unable to stay compliant 3 days of this week. I was planing on going till the end of August so even though its a set back I'm not going to let it get me to down. I started fresh yesterday and today I feel like a weight was lifted off my shoulders. Yesterday I had an avocado with some nuts for breakfast, a bananna for lunch and some carne asada from Paleo slow cooking with onions and avocado in a lettuce wrap with cabbage on the side.

Today is leftover day and farmers market day :)

Giving up cheese is the hardest thing for me, I have always relied on cheese as a snack, served it on salads, ate a slice here and there just cause and so on.

I hate that I'm starting over but kinda glad it happend this week, and not on day 25.

Here's to a wonderful w30 weekend

Whole Amy, grass fed steaks are seriously the best! I'm so glad we found the meat share.

I had chicken soup for breakfast and am eating the last of my ground pork/veggie mix for lunch.

This morning I went to the farmer's market and got a bunch of veggies. Most of it was organic, and it was all from local farms. I am going to make a big veggie curry tonight for dinner and roast a piece of chicken.

I think I am going to make a crock pot pork loin tomorrow.

GeauxKristie -  Congratulations on your committment to keep going, although the going has obviously been rough!  Glad you're back - but looking at your menu for yesterday, it seems like you skipped the protein for both breakfast and lunch??  Just sayin...

Hope all is going well with the health crisis in the family.

Welcome to day 7 fellow 7/22'ers!! How's everyone feeling today??

I woke up and totally did NOT want eggs again!! What's everyone's best breakfast so far?

Yesterday I made an amazing hash with sweet potatoes, green peppers, onions, chicken sausage, garlic, and seasoning- nutmeg and cayenne pepper. It was actually a recipe by the neely's that was whole 30 compliant to begin with! I ran out of sweet potatoes so I couldn't make it again this morning, but plan to make a big batch today to last the rest of the week.

Curious to hear what else everyone has been doing.

I didn't work out at all this week, between starting this and having a few hungover feeling days, so I will get back in the routine this week

Yesterday was at a festival with my in laws and surrounded by lots of non compliant food but totally hung in there and waited until we got home to eat!!

Katie - way to go, staying on plan is tough with all that yummy food around!

Day 7 for me and I am pumped to keep going. I am really feeling good, I just need to keep fruit in check. I am also going to start looking into new meals today that I can make this week.

Well due to a family emergency and staying at the hospital I was unable to stay compliant 3 days of this week. I was planing on going till the end of August so even though its a set back I'm not going to let it get me to down. I started fresh yesterday and today I feel like a weight was lifted off my shoulders. Yesterday I had an avocado with some nuts for breakfast, a bananna for lunch and some carne asada from Paleo slow cooking with onions and avocado in a lettuce wrap with cabbage on the side.

Today is leftover day and farmers market day :)

Giving up cheese is the hardest thing for me, I have always relied on cheese as a snack, served it on salads, ate a slice here and there just cause and so on.

I hate that I'm starting over but kinda glad it happend this week, and not on day 25.

Here's to a wonderful w30 weekend

Make sure your meals fit the template!! An avo/nut breakfast and banana lunch doesn't fit the protein/fat/vegetable plan

Archived