Anyone else starting July 22nd?

primalamy

Not much time right now because I'm about to leave to meet a friend for breakfast - which will surely be eggs!  But I wanted to respond to the post about what to make for breakfast.  I don't have any great answers, but yesterday after appreciating the recipes on the NomNomPaleo website I bought the NomNomPaleo app for ipad and wow!  She has amazing recipes and a whole30 compliant 30 day meal plan, with recipes.  Lots of the breakfasts are dinner leftovers, as is the paleo way...

Good day to all-this is the close of the first week!

• Replies 322
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welcome to day 7 fellow 7/22'ers!! How's everyone feeling today??

I woke up and totally did NOT want eggs again!! What's everyone's best breakfast so far?

Yesterday I made an amazing hash with sweet potatoes, green peppers, onions, chicken sausage, garlic, and seasoning- nutmeg and cayenne pepper. It was actually a recipe by the neely's that was whole 30 compliant to begin with! I ran out of sweet potatoes so I couldn't make it again this morning, but plan to make a big batch today to last the rest of the week.

Curious to hear what else everyone has been doing.

I didn't work out at all this week, between starting this and having a few hungover feeling days, so I will get back in the routine this week

Yesterday was at a festival with my in laws and surrounded by lots of non compliant food but totally hung in there and waited until we got home to eat!!

Sometimes the best breakfasts are dinner leftovers :) think of it as meal 1, not breakfast, and you can have anything you like!

I hope everyone had a good week!!

My goal for next week is to try some new breakfasts. This past week my breakfasts consisted of eggs, chopped veggies and leftover chicken or beef. I'm getting bored with eggs but they really are so quick and easy. (Sigh)

I'm very proud that I made it through some pretty tough temptations this week....like wanting to snack when I opened the pantry. I just keep telling myself things like " I can do this" "it'll all be worth it" and "think about how good you are feeling". And....I just have to get myself out of the kitchen!!

I've had pretty good energy but wow, last night i couldn't keep my eyes open past 9 pm. Could be a combination of spending much of the day outside in beautiful weather and that Day 6-7 tiredness.

Still feeling positive and excited to start week 2. Good luck to everyone!!

Moving on from breakfast to lunch - I just discovered online and found in a local store, "Paleo Wraps" made by Julian Bakery.  Coconut is the only ingredient.  I'm going to the beach for a week vacation beginning 8/3, and now I think I actually will be able to have a way to make and carry some easy beach lunches...The wraps are expensive ($9.99 for 7), but hopefully a worthwhile investment.

Hey everyone, way to hang in there over the weekend!! I went kayaking with friends and we went out for lunch afterwards...gut check moment!! I had an awesome grilled steak with lots of broccoli (no sauce on either) while my friend guzzled margaritas and chips & salsa. I gave up chips & salsa a few years ago when I had a gastric ulcer...but a friend's icy cold Coke looked luscious!! Haha, I never drink Coke so that must be the Sugar Monkey. The menu was filled with tempting junk food and processed garbage. My only regret? That I got the 6oz steak instead of the 10oz! I was hungry later in the day, which is unusual for me.

Got some fresh fruits and veggies at the farmers' market but trying to buy tea was a minefield! Who knew that such a simple beverage is often laden with soy lecithin as some type of flavoring additive?? I must have looked at 15-20 boxes of tea before I found two flavors suitable for Whole30.

Yay we made it to day 7!

For breakfast I made some ground beef with cauliflower and topped it with guacamole and sauerkraut. I woke up late, so I didn't have that until around noon. I made enough so I will have leftovers tomorrow. For dinner I just roasted some chicken and sweet potatoes and made a big salad with romaine, spinach, kale and shaved brussel sprouts. I'm adding carrots and celery for some crunch.

I was going to make crock pot pork loin, but forgot to take it out to defrost, so I'll make that tomorrow with some apples and maybe more sweet potatoes. Instead I am using my crock pot to make some beef bone broth right now. It's my first time making it, so I am hoping that comes out ok.

Great day 7... ready for day 8.

Rode my bike 22 miles yesterday and 20 today.  I could sense the lack of carbs.  I went about 15% slower than usual.  I will have to bike less or eat more fruit, I think.

Steak for dinner tonight... kale, salad, walnuts, cherries. Steak salad for lunch tomorrow.

Keep it up... we can do it.

Hi all.  I started my Whole30 on July 23, so I'm on Day 7 today.  Have been reading this forum all week but just decided to jump in.  It's been helpful to read all of your comments.

Had a dream last night that I ate a Clif Bar (my former go-to for a quick snack) and then panicked that I'd gone off plan. :)  Was exhausted on days 4-5 but energy level picked up yesterday.  While I'm eating a lot of veggies, I'm at the point where I'm tired of meat and would just like a bowl of cereal for breakfast!  But, I'm hanging in there.

Good morning everyone to Day 8!!!!  I cannot believe that I have made it this far - it is the longest I have been without sugar in my life I think.  I am already having so many improvements that I don't want to go back to the old way.

Yesterday I had to turn down chips and a cheese/ cracker tray.  I brought some olives to the gathering and scacked on those.  I got home and chowed down because we were late having dinner.

This morning for breakfast I sauteed some pork sausage with onions and had that over mashed butternut sqash/ pumpkin mixture that has cinnamon in it.  I loved it and the cinnamon gave it more of a breakfast feel.  Lunch: Salad with veggie, eggs, avocado and a good helping olive oil.  Dinner: stri fried green beans with ground meat, ground nuts on top.

I read some Whole 30 blogs over the weekend and the portions some people are eating are enormous.  I am still hungry between meals so I think I need to up the quantity a little more.  I ate a big breakfast today, so I will see how that goes.   Also, I used to be a HEAVY user of sugar free gums and mints.  I have not had a single piece of it in a week now, instead I am brushing my teeth more often.  It is working surprisingly well!

-- SunnyJen - stay in the mindset....when I look in the pantry now I realize I am looking for calm or a distraction....not food!  Instead I try to think, why am I annoyed right now? 

-- Demos - that is some major biking!  I agree with primal amy - sweet potatoes are great, I started having them on the days I run or swim, it is helpful...particularly after for me to refuel.

-- Welcome Elizabeth - I had one day a bowl of sweet potato/ pumpkin with come crushed almonds on top and poured coconut milk over it.  Could help fill the cereal void.

Well today is Day 1 again for me.  Fell off the wagon yesterday, although did not eat as badly as I would have prior to just doing a week on Whole30.  Was at a birthday party and even ate before I went to be sure that I did not eat junk because I was hungry but fell anyway.  That's ok. Today is a new day!!!

Me too Whole Amy! my longest stretch ever without sugar and I'm feeling fabulous.

Yesterday (day 7) was the toughest for me yet. I walked to a little touristy town with my kids. I hadn't been in a restaurant or store other than Whole Foods since before Day 1! Every shop seemed to sell candy and every other shop was selling ice cream or popcorn or fudge. The smell of waffle cones gave me an ache, but then thought that the smell is better than the taste in most ice cream shops. I planned ahead and managed it by having a mini lunch before the walk and then another mini lunch when we returned.

After breakfast this morning (an amazingly delicious egg scramble with grilled zucchini and leftover grilled tri tip on top of spinach) I had a handful of cherries with my coffee. I actually moaned when I ate the first cherry it was so delicious. I have been limiting my fruit to 2 serving a day and only with meals. That cherry was worth it! My taste buds are alive!

Have a great Monday. Here's to Day 8!! :)

Me too Whole Amy! my longest stretch ever without sugar and I'm feeling fabulous.

Yesterday (day 7) was the toughest for me yet. I walked to a little touristy town with my kids. I hadn't been in a restaurant or store other than Whole Foods since before Day 1! Every shop seemed to sell candy and every other shop was selling ice cream or popcorn or fudge. The smell of waffle cones gave me an ache, but then thought that the smell is better than the taste in most ice cream shops. I planned ahead and managed it by having a mini lunch before the walk and then another mini lunch when we returned.

After breakfast this morning (an amazingly delicious egg scramble with grilled zucchini and leftover grilled tri tip on top of spinach) I had a handful of cherries with my coffee. I actually moaned when I ate the first cherry it was so delicious. I have been limiting my fruit to 2 serving a day and only with meals. That cherry was worth it! My taste buds are alive!

Have a great Monday. Here's to Day 8!! :)

It's amazing how delicious fruit is when it's the sweetest thing you have, and when you let go of all the added sugar/preservatives/additives/flavours.

We've started buying only organic fruit, and maybe that adds to the more enhanced flavour?

Good morning!

Taylortubbie- I like your positive outlook! you fell but you are getting right back up.....you can do this!

WholeAmy- I like your idea about the pantry and trying to find a peace or calm. Thanks!

So I have a question about olives. I'm not accustomed to eating olives but will give it a try.....what kind of olives does everyone eat? Black, green, canned,????? Do you prefer a particular brand?

Good morning all and Happy Day 7!!  Scotch eggs and sweet potato for breakfast...I have been eating SP most mornings and it seems to stave off the afternoon sleepiness. For lunch, a big salad with pineapple and grilled chicken and probably juicy grilled hamburgers with homemade mayo for dinner.  Gonna see if it works to eat them with lettuce as the "bun" and use up that last juicy tomato. Hopefully my Whole30 bacon will arrive in the mail, soon! I don't eat a whole lot for breakfast and I'm still usually not hungry in the mornings but I no longer feel like I have to choke something down in the mornings; I can eat breakfast without feeling uncomfortable or completely disinterested.

Oddly, I have not missed sugar near as much as I thought but I am really missing SODA. Maybe some nice breakfast cereal and a glass of Coke for breakfast, lol. And then some gum. Die Sugar Monkey, die!!!

--WholeAmy: I'm right there with you missing gum. Now I find that I want to brush my teeth more often than usual and it does work out. I ditched my chemical-laden commerical toothpaste when I was living in Germany and never looked back. I love the chemical-free and homemade toothpastes on etsy. Way better for you and the environment, I think.

--ElizabethP: I also miss cereal and other comforting, familiar and yet ultimately unhealthy and less-than-optimal grains. I have psoriasis and should probably have gone gluten-free a long time ago.

--TaylorTubbie: Hang in there and start over clean!!!

Happy Day 8, everyone!

Between staying busy around the house and food prep this weekend - had no problem staying on plan! And man did I get the sleepies - slept in until 11am both Sat AND Sunday! Last weekend to do that as this weekend I travel to WV to pick up my two daughters and bring them back home.

Agree with the comments on eggs - tired of them but have a hard time eating chicken for meal 1. And I am not a pork eater so bacon/sausage is not my thing.

Feeling good today - here's to a great week!

Jen

Day 8. Going great.

I eat eggs every morning.  They are great with avocado. Or habanero olive oil. Or smoked salmon. Or mushrooms. Endless ways to eat the same thing every day.

My clothes feel a little loose.

Keep it up....

Demos - nice that your clothes are looser!  I "think" mine might be looser, but I used to think that before and then jump on the scale.  I am trying to stay out of the weight loss mindset - I think I was additcted to losing weight.  No matter what weight I was I always wanted to be less for some reason, just in case I gained a few lbs overnight I wanted to have some wiggle room.  I can tell I am getting rid of that obsession - I never want to see a scale again.

Someone asked about olives - I have to say that I was never that much of an olive person, but I have become one.  If you are new to olives I would go with canned black olives first - they are the most mild.  Next would be the green jarred ones in brine.  Real olive people like the ones in oil, but those are much stronger.  This weekend I got a mix from the olive bar at WF....I also put some caperberrys in it for a nice twist...love those.

My mood is so positive...I feel so much happier!  Does anyone know why cutting out bad food makes you feel better?

Way to go everyone!!  Keep up the good work :)

Hi Everyone! I thought I should check-in on day 8. Things are going well, we went to Chipotle on Saturday night and had a Carnitas Salad (even called in advance to see what kind of oil they cook in) I have to say I missed eating at home. Nothing that I have had at a restaurant comes close to what we can make at home! Which is amazing considering neither my husband or I consider ourselves good cooks (or even cooks at all!). Anyone else finding yourself wanting to stay home more?

Tonight for dinner we are having coconut shrimp and spaghetti squash and I'm excited! I think a challenge with my husband is keeping him committed and willing to do the prep required for the Whole30. But I'm committed!

One of the main things I miss is gum-- I keep noticing it in people's mouths  (kind of gross) and feeling jealous! Its crazy what I miss!

I just have to share, I just went almost 6 hours without eating between lunch and dinner! This is a HUGE breakthrough for me! Lunch was a salad with avocado, 3 eggs and olive oil - definitely proves that I need fat to stay satisfied!

Doesn't Chipotle use soybean oil?

All leftovers for me today. I had chicken soup again for breakfast with avocado and sauerkraut. I still have more leftover because I find myself eating smaller portions now. Lunch was ground beef with guacamole and cauliflower. Dinner was roasted chicken and sweet potatoes.

I felt really restless today, and finally realized that I have all this extra energy that I'm not use to having. Not sure what to do with it. :)

Good morning all!  Over the last two nights, I have been feeling really sleepy (in a good way) before bed. Nice change for me!  I'm still waiting for the "tiger blood" but it is getting easier to get up in the morning. I did not feel like a zombie this morning and even had time to cook myself breakfast: eggs over easy and sweet potatoes. For lunch, some tuna salad with homemade mayo in romaine lettuce cups. My work friends are showing some positive interest in my lunch -- "Oh, what is that? It looks good! You made that?" -- and I don't feel so tired after lunch anymore. Definitely no PRs in CrossFit this week but at least I feel like I have the drive and energy to make it through class!

Awesome day 9.  It should start to feel like a groove soon.  Still a bummer when my family is eating desert and bread, but I am hanging in there.

I think the lack of sugars really help our gut health.  Better poops, I mean...

Morning all!

Feeling good this week! Went to bodypump class at the Y last night and held my own! Felt strong and motivated! My energy level has improved (after last week's draggin I would hope so!) and I am finding that I am having trouble getting to sleep at night at what would be my "normal" bedtime. Don't know if it is because my brain is not shutting down and chattering away or if I just am not ready to sleep. Not hopping out of bed when the alarm goes off at 6:30 but hoping to get it shifted a bit so that I am.

Navygirl - right there with ya on energy for workout. It's not quite 100% but sure feel good overall!

demos - Have noticed the gut difference too. In that respect and less gas.

Have a great Day 9 y'all!

Jen

We are all doing so great - day 9!  I am past the cravings now which is amazing, I don't think about sweets after meals like I used to which is nice.  Last night I had the ultimate temptation, I had to make cookies for a party!  I was measuring out the brown sugar and I started to take a spoonful and put it in my mouth - completely out of habit, not that I conciously wanted to eat it - and stopped myself.  I thought about the many times I would eat the sugar and eat the batter just because it was there, and that was what I always did.  There are so many little bits here and there that I usually take during the day that have just stopped cold turkey because it is usually making foods for my kids there is wheat or dairy invovled.

salemister - i did not sleep too hot last night either, I think tv and computer are my cause though.  I need to turn that stuff off earlier - it is keeping my mind wound up.

dernos - stomach was was better for me on day 1, it is flatter than it has ever been.....i no longer look 4 months pregnant all the time!

Archived