Anyone else starting July 22nd?

primalamy

Day 11.  Awesome.  I took today off from working out.  I a feeling okay, I guess. Maybe too much coffee and eggs this morning.

Eating was good yesterday-- but went very, very heavy with the olive oil on my salad. And maybe too many walnuts.  I woke up not as hungry as the past mornings.

Going out to lunch for work... already picked out the Ahi tuna salad.

• Replies 322
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Way to go everyone!  I was also dragging a bit yesterday. I took a nap on the couch after work (this has been common since starting Whole30...no more sugar to burn for easy energy, I guess) but I mustered up the spirit to go to CrossFit.

Despite the usual tooth-grinding workout, I have very little soreness today. Before Whole30, I would be cramped up and slow-moving the next day after so many squats but today my legs are fine despite running, wall squats and back squats with a heavy load. In fact, the only soreness I feel is over my shoulder blades where the bar rested. This is a new and extremely positive change for me!!!  Also the tendonitis is my L elbow is getting better and starting to go away, despite a painful previous flare-up. Does anyone else notice better recovery time?

I went to Bible Study last night with friends...hmmm...lots of tempting treats!!  Yipes!  But I ignored them! Yay! I find the best defense is a good offense so I always bring a tasty Whole30 treat and no one notices the difference, other than some awe at homemade almond butter and crunchy carrots from the farmers' market. Another success!  Way to go everyone!

Morning everyone!

Amys - been feeling a bit tired the past two days myself. Sleeping probably 10 hours the past two nights and STILL hitting the snooze every morning. Maybe it's too much sleep? :huh:

Snowflower - understand and yes, I want to know. What did the scale say??? Haven't been tempted to weigh myself, guess I am just letting the whole process take it's course. You betcha I am gonna weigh on day 30!

All in all I am so happy with how I am feeling. Eating one serving at each meal and full/satisfied. Not really very hungry between meals or starving at meal time. Sleeping well (obviously!). And really proud of myself for not slipping up once - except those stupid dreams! (Which haven't really be all that bad.)

Have a GREAT Day 11!

Jen :)

Jen, Thanks for your interest, but I'm not going to share what the scale said. I think it was another poster in another thread who influenced my decision to weigh. She had posted that she lost x number of pounds on Day 10.....and that made me so curious about what I'd lost by day 10. I don't want anyone to fall off that scale wagon, so I won't post it. I'll tell y'all on day 30! I'll give my Day 10 # and my day 30 #.

Who wants to join the "I won't weigh until Day 31" Club?

Snowflower, I'm joining you in the "I won't weigh until day 31" club. The temptation has been there, no doubt, but I've resisted.

I've noticed bloating is gone, especially in my stomach. I can get into the next size down in pants, but I have to lay down to get them on and they aren't very comfortable, but I got them on. That shows me enough progress for now. I am curious what the scale will say in 20 days...

Last night I had my first round of "food dreams". I ate the cheese off a pizza and then had chocolate. I remember saying to myself, "This is not Whole 30 compliant" during my dream. Luckily the food dreams haven't occurred until now. I've had a terrible sore throat and body aches today, and not being able to resort to my favorite cough drops has been tough, but hopefully with a good nights rest I'll feel better tomorrow.

Thanks for the dressing suggestions. I'll have to give some of them a try! I've also found some great recipes in the recipe section of the forum that I'm anxious to try.

Have a good night!

Like many of you I also felt pretty tired the last couple of days.  I even had a couple of moments of contemplating giving up, but stayed the course. Today I've felt better and I'm feeling more optimistic.

I've been doing so much more cooking than I have in a long time.  Tonight I roasted parsnips for the first time. Pretty tastey. The adventure continues...

Like many of you I also felt pretty tired the last couple of days.  I even had a couple of moments of contemplating giving up, but stayed the course. Today I've felt better and I'm feeling more optimistic.

I've been doing so much more cooking than I have in a long time.  Tonight I roasted parsnips for the first time. Pretty tastey. The adventure continues...

i'd only had parsnips once before this whole 30....and didn't particularly like them. we've had them roasted quite a few times, I think they're great now!! (roasting them in ghee and sprinkling with salt may have something to do with that...)

I hope everyone is feeling better!

I was super busy today. I had to take my daughter to the doctor and then to registration for the next school year. Her doctor's appointment ran late so we were late for registration. For breakfast I ate the rest of my pork loin, apples and sweet potatoes. I didn't have a chance to eat lunch because we were running late, so I quickly mashed up an avocado with some lime, salt, pepper and garlic and wolfed that down. It wasn't much, but it got me through the afternoon. Dinner was baked salmon, salad and cauliflower rice. It was my first time making cauliflower rice and it came out really good. I can't wait to make it again.

I picked up some plantains at the store today. I'm going to try and make tostones. Has anyone ever made them? I also took out some organic chicken thighs and a rump roast to cook this weekend. I have been doing so much cooking since I started the Whole 30. I am really enjoying it.

Happy Healthy Day 11!

I was thinking last night about why this regimen has been (relatively) easy for me......my conclusion: It's strict and there's an end date. While the ideal would be that I would continue on with Whole9 guidelines after the Whole30, it isn't written in stone. Now, after only 11 days, it's hard to imagine going back to my old ways. I love the feeling of not relying on sugar. I bought mangosteen (an Indonesian fruit) at the Asian Grocery last night and had 1 piece (once you cut through the rind it's about the size of an apricot) after dinner. I LOVE mangosteen; it tastes like white gummy bears to me. Anyway.....my point in all of this is that 4 bites of a deliciously sweet fruit that tastes like candy didn't mess with my hormones. It was ENOUGH and that was such a wonderful feeling. I would never eat only 4 gummy bears! If I had gummy bears I ate the whole bag (so sad and embarrassing to admit as a 41 year old woman) and would feel sick after. That sick feeling was never enough motivation to stop the candy binges though. I feel like a new woman.

Have a great day!

Hooyah Everyone! 

Snowflower, I am right there with you on the sweet treats! I used to eat so much candy. I had a birthday just before we began the Whole30 and received, among my gifts and cards, six different boxes of movie theater sized candy...and I was thinking, "Does my family think I'm some kind of a candy-hounding sugar monster????" It was a little embarrassing. I was able to offload some candy on family and friends and the rest I just threw out.

The strange part is that I haven't missed candy at all on my Whole30 -- haven't thought about cookies or candy or (my favorite) donuts for more than a passing moment or two! It makes me wonder if I really even liked it to begin with, or if I was just a servant of the Sugar Dragon? That doesn't sound very healthy at all, physically or psychologically. Now I get excited about Whole30 BLTs: Burger, Lettuce and Tomato, with paleo mayo and lettuce for "bread" and I'm feeling so much better over all.  I have not had any GI distress at all due to food since we started, and it used to be an almost daily occurence for me. 

Not sure if I will ever go back to gluten again... 

Day 12. So good so far.

I can stick with W30 because it is finite and strict.  One scoop of ice cream always leads to a second for me.  I am much better off not starting.

I am a little run down yesterday and today.  I am feeling a bit better and want to get home early from work at excercise.

Tomorrow starts a week-long vacation including a 70 mile 2-day bike trail ride.  I am nervous about keeping compliant on the road.  We'll be in Philly for 2 days and in Ohio for a few.  Wish me luck...

Tomorrow starts a week-long vacation including a 70 mile 2-day bike trail ride.  I am nervous about keeping compliant on the road.  We'll be in Philly for 2 days and in Ohio for a few.  Wish me luck...

I'm also leaving for vacation tomorrow and a little nervous.  We'll be renting a condo for a week at the beach on Cape Cod, where I'll have a kitchen - which is good.  There's plenty of good food readily available there, so there won't be a problem with supplies.  After that there will be another couple of days traveling to Philly for a college visit with my son.  The travel days and nights in a motel seem the most challenging, but I'm feeling pretty confident.  Good luck to you, demos88!

Day 12!!! I've never stuck with anything this long!!

Things are still going pretty good for me. I was challenged for a couple days with not being able to eat three meals. I stayed compliant for 2 meals and then when I found myself with little time and being somewhat hungry i had a snack. Well...I chose macadamia nuts and cantaloupe. I know those are compliant foods but mentally it was too "snacky" and sweet. I could feel myself getting caught in the trap to keep eating....I was able to walk away but it was hard! And I ate a little more than I should have.

The next situation was a social one where I skipped all the bad stuff and ate just veggies from the veggie tray. My stomach was hurting a bit afterwards and I'm wondering if it was the carrots?? Maybe too much "sugar"? I had some celery, cauliflower and broccoli (all raw).

Has anyone else been bothered by raw veggies? Just wondering if maybe I'm finding out i can't tolerate something.

As far as sweets and ice cream....my biggest downfalls, I have thought about them but can't say I NEED them like I thought I would. Yes!!! A big victory for me. I'm happy to just keep pushing along and see where I end up on day 30. I'm pretty sure I've lost weight :)

Demos88, you can do it! You may have to be a little creative, but bring a cooler you can fill with compliant food. And don't be afraid to ask lots questions if you go to a restaurant. I find telling them that you have food allergies makes them really pay attention to what you can't eat.

Today I made some ground beef with spinach, kale and mushrooms. I topped it with guacamole and had that for breakfast and dinner. Lunch was salmon with peas and broccoli. I am feeling a lot less blah today, which is nice.

Day 12!!! I've never stuck with anything this long!!

Things are still going pretty good for me. I was challenged for a couple days with not being able to eat three meals. I stayed compliant for 2 meals and then when I found myself with little time and being somewhat hungry i had a snack. Well...I chose macadamia nuts and cantaloupe. I know those are compliant foods but mentally it was too "snacky" and sweet. I could feel myself getting caught in the trap to keep eating....I was able to walk away but it was hard! And I ate a little more than I should have.

The next situation was a social one where I skipped all the bad stuff and ate just veggies from the veggie tray. My stomach was hurting a bit afterwards and I'm wondering if it was the carrots?? Maybe too much "sugar"? I had some celery, cauliflower and broccoli (all raw).

Has anyone else been bothered by raw veggies? Just wondering if maybe I'm finding out i can't tolerate something.

As far as sweets and ice cream....my biggest downfalls, I have thought about them but can't say I NEED them like I thought I would. Yes!!! A big victory for me. I'm happy to just keep pushing along and see where I end up on day 30. I'm pretty sure I've lost weight :)

Jen, the raw cauliflower and broccoli could have caused you stomach issues. I think I've been left really bloated and gassy from both before (before whole 30, so it could have been other things but I didn't really eat processed foods or added sugar, or things we can't have, at the same time as the broccoli/cauli!)

Doesn't Chipotle use soybean oil?

Actually at Chipotle only the Carnitas are made in sunflower oil which is ok when dining out (this is the only place I have found to dine out at). All other meats use soybean oil. But we asked the specific chipotle in advance to make sure this was true as I've read it may vary at different restaurants. 

http://www.chipotle.com/en-us/menu/ingredients_statement/ingredients_statement.aspx

The start of day 13! We are volunteering at a carnival today for my job. Hopefully we can avoid the carnival food! 

This week has been rough at work! So much food has been brought in and everywhere I turn there is something looking delicious that I can't eat! But I'm hanging in there and avoiding it!

Working out-- I do crossfit and I have just felt sluggish ever since I started the whole30 during my workouts. I'm not tired more of the day  but when I get into a workout I just don't feel energized. I feel like I eat plenty! Any thoughts? For pre workout snacks I eat 2 slices of prosciutto and some nuts which I believe fits what they suggest.

Good morning everyone! Strange food dream last night! I went to visit someone at their office...and then I housed the company stash of Fritos. In the dream, I was yelling at myself: "Why did you do that?? Now you have to start the Whole30 all over again!"

I went to BJs and dismayed that I found ZERO lunch meat. It all had sugar or dextrose or cane syrup....in turkey!! I guess I could believe it for the "honey ham" (no honey, mind you, but def some variety of sugar in the ingredients) but now I will have to expand my search for quality deli meats.

Talking to Mom last night about my Whole30 -- what a blessing to have an intelligent & supportive family!! I am feeling mournful about things that can no longer be a part of my life, mainly gluten and dairy. I have had chronic GI distress since maybe 6-7th grade and they even did various tests at that time but all negative. Docs said I was probably lactose intolerant, so my "lacky tic tacs" became a constant companion. Um...why did I never consider giving up dairy if it was so irritating?? Right up until my Whole30, I had to carry a stash of lactase and digestive enzymes to help me eat lunch and avoid an emergency trip to the bathroom right after! Why did I never think to stop eating these damaging foods?? Lactose intolerance is widely-known and accepted among adults! Considering our family history of ulcerative colitis and Crohn's disease and my personal history of psoriasis, I surely have gluten intolerance.

I dumped my lactase and digestive enzymes (none of mine were Whole30-friendly) but have not had a single episode of GI distress since starting my Whole30. This is incredible. I am still mourning for pancakes and bagels and pasta...but now I am wondering are they any good for me at all? Are they like the toxic boyfriend or "frenemy" that wreak havoc on my life but I just can't break up with them for good? What about me, and my health, and my life? I deserve all of these good things. I just don't think gluten and dairy are a part of it. Deep thoughts today...thanks for listening and I hope everyone has a great, insightful day as well!

"All things are lawful for me, but not all things are profitable."

Great day 13.  Bikes are loaded and the vacation starts now.  I might not be posting until a week from Monday, but will do my best on the road and at family's houses.

Mostly it is hard to explain to people why I am 'dieting'  It is just to see how I feel with super clean food and restore gut health.  i think you need good digestive bacteria that sugar messes with.

The fun thing is seeing how your taste buds change.  i ate the most amazing blueberries last night.

Lat time I did W30 I lost 13 lbs.  I only want to trim down 4-5 this time to be at my best weight.  I might already be there, but won't know till I weigh in 16 days....

Keep it going!!!

Godspeed, Demos!

Happy Lucky Day 13, all!

Yesterday was the first day I wasn't dragging in the afternoon.  I was filled with energy and got so much done!  I hope that continues today, bc I'm without my kids this weekend and would love to get some housework done and clean my garage. 

Have a fabulous day.

We're almost halfway there!

Breakfast was leftover ground beef with kale, spinach, mushrooms and guacamole. I am currently enjoying take out sashimi for dinner. I threw away the wasabi and pickled ginger, and am eating it with coconut aminos and some avocado.

I went to Whole Foods today to buy a few things and ended up spending $130.

Well we are ending day 13!!

I've been doing great at meals but am worried I've failed in some little ways - we made smoothies at least 2-3 times so far with about a cup if fruit, coconut milk , and I also added whey protein-- found out afterwards it has small amounts or traces of wheat and soY in it. We have also had Lara bars pretty regularly which it seems are supposed to be just N emergency food even tho they're compliant.... I've made sure to be compliant to the plan in Ll other ways . Have I failed the program? Do I need to start over?? isit crazy I Am feeling so guilty about this?!

Well we are ending day 13!!

I've been doing great at meals but am worried I've failed in some little ways - we made smoothies at least 2-3 times so far with about a cup if fruit, coconut milk , and I also added whey protein-- found out afterwards it has small amounts or traces of wheat and soY in it. We have also had Lara bars pretty regularly which it seems are supposed to be just N emergency food even tho they're compliant.... I've made sure to be compliant to the plan in Ll other ways . Have I failed the program? Do I need to start over?? isit crazy I Am feeling so guilty about this?!

While its really up to you what you think considers a restart, to get the full health benefits, i think you'd need to be wheat/soy free for 30 days - could you add on however many days you need to to the end of your whole 30? In the rest of your time, make sure you stick to the template and ditch the larabars and smoothies :)

Archived