Anyone else starting July 22nd?

primalamy

Well we are ending day 13!!

I've been doing great at meals but am worried I've failed in some little ways - we made smoothies at least 2-3 times so far with about a cup if fruit, coconut milk , and I also added whey protein-- found out afterwards it has small amounts or traces of wheat and soY in it. We have also had Lara bars pretty regularly which it seems are supposed to be just N emergency food even tho they're compliant.... I've made sure to be compliant to the plan in Ll other ways . Have I failed the program? Do I need to start over?? isit crazy I Am feeling so guilty about this?!

The other thing to consider is that whey is one of the two proteins found in dairy products (the other is casein), which means whey itself is non-Whole30 compliant. (I've been living dairy-free for about 9 months, so I've got a little more practice reading labels and scanning for dairy products. The rest of it is still taking a lot of concentration - was standing in Whole Foods yesterday, causing a traffic jam as I was trying to decifer labels on the chicken sausages.)

But back to the whey... if you haven't noticed any detrimental side effects, maybe you now know you're not sensitive to whey. I don't think you need to feel guilty or like you've failed!  You just have to decide will you be ok with the results knowing you accidently stepped off-plan? Or will you always wonder what the results would have been if you hadn't? 

I'm doing my best to stick 100% to the guidelines, but acknowledging that I probably haven't been perfect - especially on the rare occassions when I'm eating out.... while I'm picking Whole30 compliant foods and careful about sugar, I don't know that I've asked all the important questions about cooking oils, etc. This is my first Whole30. I'm pretty sure there will be another one in my future at some point and that the second time round I'll be able to do even better, having learned from the first. 

Even if I haven't been perfect, I've eaten more fresh produce in the past two weeks than I probably did in the 2 months before this. That's sad to say, but true. So I know this has been beneficial regardless.  I am experiencing much more consistant energy levels, and I'm hardly ever hungry between meals now (unless I didn't get quite enough to eat)... fewer cravings each day.  I really like that I'm not hungry between meals, as I used to feel the need to snack every couple of hours because my energy level would start falling and I'd reach for something that would give me a quick boost.

What changes are others noticing?

• Replies 322
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Happy Day 14! I had my first truly fabulous night of sleep last night. I made it to 5am without getting up. I'm usually up 2-3 times before that, so that was remarkable for me.

Elizabeth......changes I've noticed:

My blood pressure has dropped from 120/80 (on medication) to 100/65 (on medication). My goal is to be able to decrease my dosage or to eliminate the need for this medication. I'm working with my doctor on decreasing now.

My skin is not itching and burning at 3 pm every day. I was diagnosed with dermographism 20 years ago and doctors always have told me "take benedryl and get used to it". I have taken benedryl before bed for all this time, but the breakthrough itching always starts the next day late afternoon. If it's really bad, I'll take 1/2 then and then another before bed. No doctor ever told me it could be food related! That makes me angry! My goal with the Whole30 was to see if the regular program helped and if not, I planned to do the low histamine or AI plans for another 30. I'm only on Day 2 with no need for benedryl so I've still got a ways to go. I am still considering adding another 30 after this one depending on how I'm doing.

My PMS was mild! Really mild! I did spot for 9 days before my cycle was supposed to start, so that's outta whack, but my mood was relatively stable and I had NO physical symptoms.

I feel great and had soup for breakfast! I made sweet potato coconut milk soup from Jan's Sushi Bar Website (I found the link on the Whole9 site somewhere) . It was good last night, but even better this morning (with 2 poached eggs over wilted spinach).

Tomorrow is Day 15.....looking forward to my Tiger Blood (though I think that may have already started for me:))

Thanks Elizabeth and amberino for making me feel better! I would agree I have eaten more produce in the past two weeks I have in the past two months and aside from these minor things I did which were really out of ignorance and not deliberate missteps I should be proud of what I've done so far!! I'm going to say no more smoothies and larabars are emergency food only from here on out. I may try to tack on a few more days at the end of the 30 to make up for it, we will see. I think because I've focused so much on this, I felt like I did something horrible when I ate these things and in the grand scheme of things the amount of whey protein I actually had was only about a tablespoon or two!! Back to focusing!

Made some great sautéed veggies last night and stirred in chili garlic sauce - it was delish!! This week I have a whole bunch of slow cooker recipes lined up- today is buffalo wings!

Happy day 14! We are half way there. It is just me, or does it feel so awesome to be eating like this every day?

For breakfast I fried up some plantains in coconut oil. I was going to make tostones, but I didn't realize you could only do it while the plantains are still really green. So I just fried them once and made 3 batches. One with just salt, one with cinnamon and one with salt and cinnamon. I had them with left over baked salmon, broccoli, peas and guacamole. It was a big meal so I wasn't hungry again until dinner time.

Dinner was baked chicken thighs marinated in olive oil, lime, garlic, salt and pepper. I also roasted some zucchini, yellow squash and onions. It's delish! It's amazing how good food tastes to me now.

I put a rump roast in my crock pot with mushrooms, onions, zucchini and squash. Can't wait to have that tomorrow.

Good day all! Still waiting for my tiger blood, too!! I have not had much of an appetite these last two days and I have woken up 2-3 times in the middle of the night, which is unusual for me. On the good side, I have been feeling tired and falling asleep much easier and my energy levels have been more moderate throughout the day.

Today I made a wonderful frittata for breakfast with onions, garlic, peppers and spinach. Yesterday I had "bulletproof coffee" -- more like Whole30 bulletproof coffee with ghee and coconut oil, then a quick buzz with the hand mixer. Frothy and nice and not greasy or oily at all. Today I tried the "Mark's Daily Apple" version of bulletproof coffee...that is, coffee with a raw egg, then a quick buzz with the hand mixer. Rich and creamy and not eggy or slimy at all. I was scared but it was pretty good. Who needs dairy??

This evening we ate out at a restaurant, that I pre-scouted for Whole30 options. I had the gluten-free dry grilled tenderloin with steamed asparagus and they server was extremely thoughtful and careful about my requests. Even the salt and pepper were delicious on the steak, and before Whole30, I never cared for asparagus (let alone any steamed veggie really) but it was very good! And kept me right on track!

This evening I am trying my hand at bone broth in the pressure cooker, with the recipe from NomNom Paleo. Can't wait to try it!

HI Everyone -

sorry for going missing for the last three days, I had a friend in town so I was not on the computer.  I was scared to death to be entertaining someone at my home while on Whole30 and not drinking...but she was totally cool with it!  She had heard of the paleo way of eating and was supportive.  I stayed compliant ALL friday, saturday and sunday!!   My friend loved all of the home cooked meals, we only had one meal out - and that was at a middle eastern place where I got a lamb and chicken kabob over a salad.

I feel like I have so much in common with the folks here - a few thoughts on the posts I read through this morning:

Snowflower - my sleep has been way better as well.  Last night I went from 11-5:45 without waking, which is huge.  I also notice that I can go longer without going to use the bathroom.  I used to wake up at least once for that...I also used to go more in the day as well.   Glad you have kicked the sugar binging - I have too - I have realized it did it out of habit and because it was just what I did - and people expected it?  Sounds weird now that I saw it.

--Navygirl - I too was a servant of the sugar dragon - but I won't be anymore!  I honestly want to start wearing a sign that says....I am not going to be baking cakes, cookies or brownies all the time...I won't have sweets at my desk! 

--PrimalAmy - I am loving all this cooking as well!   It feels so good to cook this way and know you are eating things that are 100% good for you.  In the past I tried not to eat too much of any "real" foods, because I wanted to leave calories for trash/ sweets.  It is so awesome to allow myself to eat all I want of real food!

--SunnyJen - cauliflower cooked or raw has always caused me trouble....so do brussel sprouts.  I am ok with broccoli and regular cabbage which is interesting.

Keep it up everyone - we are half way there!!!  Just imagine how awesome we will all feel in another 2 weeks!!

Hello and Happy Day 15!

Traveled over the weekend to get my girls from their summer excursions - planned and took food with me. Should have planned a little better and taken more food. For some silly reason (D'oh!) I figured my mother would at least have some raw veggies at her house I could snack on yesterday for the drive home. Nope. Breakfast was on track - but the rest of the day I was compliant but didn't eat food as I should have. Had some olives and cashews (few too many) as my snack - skipped dinner because had nothing at Subway that I could eat on target and then was doing food prep at 9:30 last night! Did have some chicken and sweet potatoes as I was cooking them. All in all I am just glad I made it through the couple of days.

My two daughters and I are doing this together now - hope it goes well!

Here's to the half-way mark!

Jen

Today was another high energy day. Lots of jumping jacks today.

Breakfast was crock pot rump roast and veggies with sauerkraut. You may have noticed that I love sauerkraut. Lunch was chicken thighs with spinach, kale and avocado. Dinner was chicken thighs with broccoli and avocado. You may have also noticed that I love avocados too. :)

Good morning all!  We're over the halfway mark now!  I was off yesterday and went to the beach, which was wonderful. My mom, my sister and my nephew met me there after work : )  Today for breakfast a leftover turkey burger with homemade mayo & ketchup and for lunch mixed greens salad with two big slices of veggie frittata.

My energy has been moderate and my mood very calm and relaxed, and I am usually an upbeat, mellow person to begin with. I am still having trouble falling asleep and staying asleep over these past few days and I can't really figure it out. I had another strange/hilarious food dream on Sunday night: this time I ate TWO SunChips and then berated myself in the dream. lol...Maybe it's all the toxins clearing out of my system? Right before Whole30, I was pretty much living on Doritos and diet soda...

Good morning everyone!  I am  happy that there are still so many people still on the journey!   I am not sure if all of you signed up to get the daily emails from Whole30 but they are spot on for me!  The one I read today I wish I had read yesterday, that was when temptation kept coming up and my self control was not as quick as it had been.  I did not slip up, but boy did I have a few close calls while making my kids dinner!

Today I woke up feeling awesome (like NavyGirl I am also still not sleeping too great) and ready to go.  My body felt tighter for sure....I think I have lost a few pounds but not sure.  I had more fat and protein at breakfast than usual, I have had a hard time making it to lunch without snacking.  So today I had 3 whole eggs, 1 whole avocado and tomato slices.  It was the most I think I have ever eaten for breakfast!  

PrimalAmy - do you make your own sauerkraut?  I don't mind it but I never feel like it really "goes" with anything I am making.   Isn't it a topping and very salty?   Do you eat it as a side dish?

Jen, ugh! Subway. I didn't like it pre-whole30! Good for you for staying compliant!

Navygirl, I've been so tempted to try the bulletproof coffee. Coffee has sorta lost its magic with me. I still have a cup every morning after I eat breakfast, but I don't get that immediate buzz from it any more.

Day 16! Woohoo!

I've decreased my HBP meds with the support of my doctor. My systolic was dipping below 100 and I was feeling light-headed.

I've got my first local foods shipment coming today. I found a company that delivers pasture raised cage free chicken eggs and boxes of local produce. You don't get to pick exactly what is in the box; they send whatever is the freshest. I thought that'd be a great way to try new things. I've got beets, fennel, romaine, onions, green beans, kale, corn, turnips, eggplant and cilantro coming this week. I'll give my kids and my bf the corn. :)

Any beet ideas? I've never eaten or prepared beets.

I haven't seen my bf since I started Whole30! In some ways it's been easier bc I've been able to focus 100% on me. I'm ready now though. He loves my cooking and I'm excited to make him some of the new things I've tried this weekend.. I'm making him the mock peanut sauce for sure!! We are going out in Chciago on Wednesday night so I'm going to look for a good whole30 compliant restaurant. It's Chicago; that'll be easy. I think.

Have a great day!

NavyGirl - I'm with you on the strange food dreams.  I had a really intense one last night about eating half a pint of Haagen Dazs ice cream. And I haven't had ice cream in 9 months and I've only had Haagen Dazs a couple of times in my life!  The strangest thing is how guilty I felt in the dream.  Of course, I tend to have intense dreams anyway, so of course now they're going to be about food.

Did you all see the revised Whole30 Timeline they posted yesterday?   I like that they've added a little more detail for the second half of the 30 days, gives me a little more idea of what to expect. 

I have the afternoon off from work today, so it will be my meal planning, grocery shopping & cooking afternoon.  I'll be making my second batch of paleo egg muffins - it's been nice to not HAVE to cook before work in the mornings.

Jen, ugh! Subway. I didn't like it pre-whole30! Good for you for staying compliant!

Navygirl, I've been so tempted to try the bulletproof coffee. Coffee has sorta lost its magic with me. I still have a cup every morning after I eat breakfast, but I don't get that immediate buzz from it any more.

Day 16! Woohoo!

I've decreased my HBP meds with the support of my doctor. My systolic was dipping below 100 and I was feeling light-headed.

I've got my first local foods shipment coming today. I found a company that delivers pasture raised cage free chicken eggs and boxes of local produce. You don't get to pick exactly what is in the box; they send whatever is the freshest. I thought that'd be a great way to try new things. I've got beets, fennel, romaine, onions, green beans, kale, corn, turnips, eggplant and cilantro coming this week. I'll give my kids and my bf the corn. :)

Any beet ideas? I've never eaten or prepared beets.

I haven't seen my bf since I started Whole30! In some ways it's been easier bc I've been able to focus 100% on me. I'm ready now though. He loves my cooking and I'm excited to make him some of the new things I've tried this weekend.. I'm making him the mock peanut sauce for sure!! We are going out in Chciago on Wednesday night so I'm going to look for a good whole30 compliant restaurant. It's Chicago; that'll be easy. I think.

Have a great day!

I <3 beetroot raw (grated or thinly sliced) or roasted. I either roast them whole, wrapped in foil with a little water in the package - if they aren't organic this is good because you can peel the skin off easily. If they're organic I roast them whole and not worry about the skin, or just chop in chunks to roast.

You can regrow beetroots from the scraps - cut the top off and put it in a dish of water. The leaves will start to sprout/grow and you can plant it in the garden :)

I am on day 10/17 - had a slip up on day 7 and started over but I am going to compare days 30 with day 37 to see how much of  a difference it really made.  Hopefully none.

I was finally able to make mayonaise and it came out wonderful!  My first attempt was a huge FAIL!!!  LOL

Todays breakfast was 3 eggs and a sweet potato with clarified butter.  YUM!  The sweet potato really stopped my craving for bread.

Todays lunch is diced chicken, homemade mayo, diced celery, grapes and sliced almonds all mixed together. 

Am having issues with sleep but I don't think it is diet related.  Appears I don't breath deep enough when I sleep so I don't get enough oxygen and I wake up multiple times a night.  I am consulting with a sleep clinic.  This has been going on for some time and it appears to have been somewhat of the cause for some weight gain over the past year.  (I can't blame it all on that though)  I am hoping that once I get set up (prolly on a CPAP) that my sleep will get better and it will help with my weight loss

NOTE:  - If you do not sleep through the night for a long period of time it upsets your metobolic system and can lead to weight gain.  Wish I had found this out a few years back! 

Anyway, keep up the good work folks!  Love reading your posts and your food ideas!  (except for the saurkraut  - YUCK!!  ROFL)

Sauerkraut...yeah!!!  I lived in Germany last year and they liked many different veggies sour and/or pickled.  Gonna try some scrambled eggs with sauerkraut for breakfast one day.  My grandma used to like to make pickled beets but I never liked them since you were likely to crunch down on some hunk of whole spice, like peppercorn or star anise : )

Snowflower, I too like roasted beets: sprinkle with olive oil & salt/pepper and wrap in foil to roast in the oven. I think they can take some getting used to, as they often cause me extra trips to the bathroom if I eat too many. For some people, it's less of an issue.  I thought the bulletproof coffee would be slimy but not at all, as long you hit with the hand blender for a moment.  For me, my father and my sister coffee has the opposite effect -- calm and relaxed feeling, not amped up and ready to go. So I find the bulletproof coffee has more of that effect for me, which puts me in a good state of mind to start my day.

I am reassured to hear that others are having difficulties sleeping...sometimes you feel like the only one.  I will keep on keepin' on with the rest of our crew!

Whole Amy, I don't make my own sauerkraut, but it's definitely on my bucket list along with kombucha (just bought a scoby). I do make my own pickles though. Yum! I don't find sauerkraut too salty, but I love salty things anyways. I usually just throw it on top/mix it into whatever I am adding it to. I buy Cortland Valley organic sauerkraut from Whole Foods.

I also roast my beets in the oven with olive oil and some salt. Wrap them in tinfoil and you can save the left over beet infused olive oil to make a salad dressing with. After you roast them you can use a wet paper towel to rub the skin off if you want. If they are cooked right, it should come off pretty easily.

I had my first food related dream last night. I was eating a burger with friends, and I forgot to tell the waitress no bun. I took a couple of bites before I realized I was eating bread. So I went to the bathroom to throw it up. :/ Not a good dream for sure.

So far I have only eaten breakfast, so I will post my food list later. Everyone keep up the good work!

Hi Everyone!

A few thoughts for day 16!!!

I am still feeling so good. In fact, this morning I noticed that the hip that bothers me once in a while hasn't hurt at all. Guess it was inflammation that's now gone!! I am loving all the cooking that I'm doing and trying new foods.

I love sauerkraut but just haven't worked it in yet. I desperately need to go to the grocery store so I'm thinking sauerkraut and beets will be on my list. The only memory I have of beets are pickled and know I didn't like them as a child. Roasting them sounds much better. Thanks for the tips primalamy & navygirl. Amberino21, I'll have to try them raw. sounds interesting.

I think I am sleeping better but haven't had any crazy food dreams. Guess I'm lucky.

I'm not sure that I'm having cravings but sometimes it's still pretty difficult seeing and smelling all those tempting foods. I did make it through a birthday party without one bite of cake or ice cream. That's quite an accomplishment in our "dessert family". Sometimes the desserts outnumber the dishes in the main meal. Wonder where my sweet tooth comes from? :)

Keep up the great work everyone and thank you all for sharing! It's nice to have others with me on this journey.

Hi everyone!

LOVE reading all the posts and conversations from y'all. This is so helpful and like has been said, so nice to know we are not doing this solo and have others going through the same things.

The past couple of days I have been dragging a little - headachy and tired. Maybe it is from all the hours behind the wheel Sat/Sun but am ready for it to pass. Hoping I can get to bed a little early tonight and tomorrow will be a brighter day!

Oh yea - and I am hungrier today that I have been in a while!

Keep up the good work and keep sharing!

Jen

Hello all! I'm on vacation in Provincetown on Cape Cod. The weather and ocean are perfect, and food is going extremely well. In a way it has been even easier than at home because instead of the normal stress and time constraints of everyday life, I have nothing I have to do except get the food I want, prepare meals, and hangout at the beach. I have been keeping the cooking simple. For example, today's breakfast was sauteed veggies with leftover fish. Lunch at the beach was hard boiled eggs, a tomato, cashews, and an apple. Dinner was turkey burgers, kale dressed with olive oil, balsamic, and coconut aminos, and salad with avocado dressing, which I made to use up a couple of overripe avocados.

I turned down an invitation from friends to join them out for dinner at an upscale Italian restaurant. I looked at the menu online and it would have been really challenging to order a meal there. And truly, I preferred to make a nice meal for my son and I, and eat good food without excessive negotiation with wait staff. We do have plans to go out to dinner later in the week with the same friends and their son at a restaurant I know will have food I can eat!

Time on the road is the most difficult. That will begin when we leave our condo (and kitchen!) Saturday morning and have a couple of nights in motels and a college visit before returning home. I know that one way or another I will remain within W30 guidelines - at that point we will be considerably more than halfway there.

By the way - I make sauerkraut with friends every fall, and with refrigeration it keeps all year. The only ingredients are cabbage and salt. It's a bit of a project - usually we do about 75 lbs of cabbage in an old fashioned ceramic crock, and share it many ways. It takes some tending, but is well worth the effort when 3-6 weeks later, there it is, sauerkraut!

As many others have said, it is encouraging and sustaining ti read each of your posts. Here's to good weather and good food!

Good morning everyone!  I have to say, this is getting easier now.  My desire to "fill" up my feelings of boredom, tiredness, anger or frustration that come during the day with food have just about vanished!  Also, I noticed that when I finished meals yesterday I wanted to just brush my teeth - not have a sweet treat like I have done after every meal for the past 20 years.

This morning I went for a run and I was able to run up more hills than usual which was interesting.  My body does feel more sore after work outs still, so I am hoping that goes away.  Another improvement I am noticing is my skin tone - my legs and arms just look healthier - I am waiting for the improvements to come to my face!

Last night I spent time cooking and made the "Best Chicken Ever" once again, it is very good. Also with sauteed red cabbage and apples, and stir fried eggplant.   I also made whole wheat zucchini muffins for the kids....and did not taste them, that was also a success ;)

Keep up the good work!  I do have two questions -

1) I am reading about pork and the reviews are mixed on if it is a healthy choice.  I can get pork from a place where the pigs roam free in the woods, is that ok?  what about pork from whole foods?

2) I want to use my crockpot to make something good, any recommendations?

Happy Day 17!

I had so much food in my fridge I had to pack a bunch up and put it in the freezer. I went a little crazy in the kitchen. I made the sweet potato coconut milk soup, and from the free preview of Well Fed made Scotch Eggs and Chocolate Chili.

I also made a ginger, cabbage, salmon, macadamia nut, sesame oil salad that was just okay on Day 1, but was delicious on Days 2 & 3.

Amberino, Do you count beets and turnips as a starchy vegetable like sweet potatoes and squashes? I roasted beets this morning and then wasn't hungry for them. (I tried a bit and was surprised by how mild they were.) I thought I'd save them for my mini post workout meal today with a bit of chicken.

I have been so strict about not eating unless hungry, but last night before bed I was so tempted by the fresh blackberries in my fridge. I had a small handful with some coconut flakes. I feel a little guilty. :o

Good morning all! Ugh, still having trouble falling asleep and waking up in the middle of the night, and now I am stressing about it!!  Oh well, tonight is my Bible study and tomorrow our "late day" at work so I don't have to be in until 1000, so that usually helps me relax.

Whole Amy, I too have read various reviews of pork but I can only speak for my own preferences: I LOVE IT!  Supermarket pork is bred much leaner these days, so they will get to market and not have as much time to put on fat.  Like us, pigs eat just about anything and I think a happy pig from a happy farm would have much more nutrition than some factory-farmed pork.  Really my greatest love is breakfast sausage (is there anything better???) and I was so happy to find some Whole30-approved at US Wellness Meats. You can also google "Eat Wild" to find some locally-pastured meat, eggs and poultry in your area. That is my next project -- to get some Jersey Fresh eggs!

I am planning to try some recipes from "Practical Paleo" but I too would be interested in any good crock pot recipes. I do enjoy cooking but I feel like Laura Ingalls Wilder making everything from scratch : )

Archived