2nd Whole30, 5 days in with 5 nights of bad sleep.

As suggested by the title, I've begun another Whole30 but this time I'm having a new problem.  It seems like every night since I've started I've had trouble both getting to sleep and staying happily asleep -- tossing and turning, frequently waking up, awake ten minutes before my alarm goes off..  Since I obviously expected the opposite to happen, I'm not sure how to troubleshoot.  But I'm so tired!

I've been keeping my food real simple this time.  For example, yesterday I had:

Brekky: eggs with broccoli, onions, and a small portion of leftover chicken, coffee with a bit of coconut milk

Lunch: 5oz of leftover pork and collard greens in olive oil, and a handful of nuts

Dinner:  Brussels sprouts, an egg, and salmon.  Spoon of coconut butter.

Does anyone have any ideas about why I can't sleep this time?  Any similar experiences?  

Thanks,

Jenn

How close are you eating dinner to when you try to go to bed?  You want to make sure you have 2-3 hours between when you stop eating and bedtime.

I wonder if you could try eating a bit more?  Shoot for 1-2 cups of vegetables per meal.

Do you have a lot of stress in your life right now? That could also cause trouble with getting to sleep and having a restful sleep.

Thanks for the suggestions.

I don't eat too close to bed, if anything I'm a bit hungry by then.  I'll try eating more/something with starch and maybe that will help.  Maybe my body's in "get up and hunt something!" mode haha.  

No unusual stress and since this sleep problem began with the whole30 I'm sure they're connected.  I keep the bedroom quiet and dark, wear an eyemask to further block light, and have been making an effort to not use backlit screens before bed.  Which makes it further frustrating that sleeps been an issue!

Glad to hear it's not just me, hopefully as my body adjusts again I'll be able to sleep better!

If you're a bit hungry at bedtime that might explain some of it.  You might try increasing size of meals a smidge (starting with breakfast, which, oddly, has more impact than increasing size of dinner) and see if that gets you to bedtime without hunger.

Also, I've done six Whole30s and each one has had its own challenges, so it may just be that.  Each one is different.  This go-round, for instance, I felt exactly no difference from how I felt on my vacation food free-for-all that preceded it - NONE - until week 2.5.  Then overnight (literally) every single bit of inflammation dropped off my body and I felt like a human being again.  It was shocking.  I'm just saying that to point out that your adjustment to this Whole30 is going to be different from your last one, and so feel free to tweak (like increasing meal size a bit, for instance, plus all the suggestions above) even if you didn't have to the last time around.  Good luck!

So what was your eating like before you embarked on your 2nd whole 30? What specifically changed? 

I 2nd trying more starchy carbs. You may also need some added magnesium. I know natural calm is a big favorite around here but I've read magnesium is better absorbed through skin so epson salt bath or a couple of sprays of magnesium oil could help.

Archived