Silicon Dioxide in my smoked paprika, dang it!

Lyn1

Not off hand but it's worth trying to see if there's a spice shop near you. I have one in San Francisco where most bags of 1lb herbs are just a couple dollars...cheaper than tiny bottles at the grocery store...and fresher! You could try ordering online too. I think http://www.penzeys.com/ is good. Somewhere like wholefoods might have some organic stuff with good ingredients but it will be somewhat pricey.

Silicon dioxide (aka silica)is essentially very finely ground quartz sand. It can be a big health problem when breathed in, but is no problem when eaten. It's used to make spices and other powders flow more freely rather than clump. There are indications that orally consumed silica is actually beneficial. Not to worry about this additive unless you snort your paprika*.

*This method of consumption is not recommended. ;)

Hahaha! No snorting here. ;-) Thanks for the info. Good to know. I guess I won't throw it out then. (...but I will eat the additive-free stuff I got at the Spice Shop for the rest of my Whole 30.)

• 2 years later...
  • 2 months later...

•  

Per Tom Denham Posted 24 April 2013 - 08:03 AM on another blog:

It is okay, although, when I read the Wikipedia entry about it, I am not enthusiastic about it...

Silicon dioxide, also known as silica (from the Latin silex), is a chemical compound that is an oxide of silicon with the chemical formula SiO2. It has been known since ancient times. Silica is most commonly found in nature as sand or quartz, as well as in the cell walls of diatoms.[2]

Silica is manufactured in several forms including fused quartz, crystal, fumed silica (or pyrogenic silica), colloidal silica, silica gel, and aerogel.

Silica is used primarily in the production of glass for windows, drinking glasses, beverage bottles, and many other uses. The majority of optical fibers for telecommunications are also made from silica. It is a primary raw material for many ceramics such as earthenware, stoneware, and porcelain.

Silica is a common additive in the production of foods, where it is used primarily as a flow agent in powdered foods, or to absorb water in hygroscopic applications. It is the primary component of diatomaceous earth, which has many uses ranging from filtration to insect control. It is also the primary component of rice husk ash, which is used, for example, in filtration and cement manufacturing....

Archived