Cauliflower Tortillas

Randy R

Ok I know the recipe I have for these are W30 compliant but it is a bad thing to have? Am I just giving my brain the idea that it is having a grain filled tortilla without all the bad or is this actually a good option?

Cauliflower Tortillas (Paleo, Grain Free, Gluten free)
4.8 from 33 reviews

Prep time: 10 mins
Cook time: 17 mins
Total time: 27 mins
Serves: 6-7
Ingredients
  • ¾ a head of cauliflower riced or 2 cups riced and packed
  • 2 eggs
  • salt and pepper to taste
Instructions
  1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees and line a baking tray with parchment paper.
  2. For these I actually rice my cauliflower slightly more fine that cauliflower rice. Toss ¾ a head of cauliflower cut up and most of the stem removed and pulse until you get a texture slightly finer than rice. (Once it's riced measure it to make sure you have 2 cups packed.)
  3. Place riced cauliflower in bowl and microwave for 2 minutes and stir, then another two minutes and stir again then place in a dish towel and squeeze excess water out as hard as you can. (You're going to want to get out as much water as you can and be careful not to burn yourself because it's going to be very hot.)
  4. Place drained cauliflower back in bowl and add two eggs, salt and pepper and mix until well combined.
  5. As a note it will be a little bit runny but shouldn't be pure liquid either. Spread mixture onto a baking sheet into 6 small fairly flat circles.
  6. Place in the oven for 10 minutes then pull out of the oven and carefully peel them off the parchment and flip them and place back in the oven for 5-7 more minutes.
  7. Once they're done place them on a wire rack to cool slightly.
  8. Heat a medium sized pan over medium heat and place the tortillas into the pan pressing down slightly and brown them to your liking. (Don't skip this step because it gives them slightly crispy on the edges and gives them a wonderfully nutty taste)

• Moderators

Update in 2015: An official ruling now exists that cauliflower tortillas are not okay during a Whole30. Cauliflower is good, but we really don't want you maintaining your relationship to tortillas during a Whole30. 

Original comment: I am not enthusiastic about the concept, but if you are willing to work that hard to produce a wrapper, knock yourself out.

I agree- just stick with lettuce as wrappers. My first Whole30 attempt, I paleo-lized a lot of foods, like blending frozen mango with coconut milk (which is delicious, by the way). But I was still eating "ice cream" so it had to go.

We tried them and it was the first time I really liked anything cauliflower.  I liked the texture and the taste and would make them again to eat with a meal, but as a wrap, they were too much effort, not solid enough and distracted from enjoying the tastes of them on their own or the tastes of the meat and salsa.  

I've made them a couple of times and I'm going to assume that they're in the grey area of approval. They're not junk food (like banana pancakes, banana ice cream, coconut ice cream, etc.), they don't taste anything like bread/tortillas (although they are tasty), and I usually pile lettuce on top of them for extra veggies. I really like making cauliflower foods.

They're also incredibly easy and quick to make. You got the recipe from Slim Palate, right? Some people double the recipe to make larger tortillas rather than the six tiny ones, or just make three large ones with the original recipe (I don't mind the tiny ones, myself).

• 3 years later...
43 minutes ago, simmie said:

So let me throw a bit of a wrench into the works here.  

Tom, what about using the cauliflower+egg and fry like a pancake to use instead of a bun?

Would that come under the same No ruling as a wrap of sorts?

I wouldn't. It's too close to the banana egg pancakes that, while compliant ingredient wise, is not in the spirit of w30

50 minutes ago, simmie said:

So let me throw a bit of a wrench into the works here.  

Tom, what about using the cauliflower+egg and fry like a pancake to use instead of a bun?

Would that come under the same No ruling as a wrap of sorts?

Yeah, I'd say no to this. The very fact that you used the word 'pancake'...... The word 'pancake' made with compliant ingredients comes up MANY times as a no in the 'Can I Have...?' guide.

Always good to have these things to try after your Whole30 though to keep you on the straight & narrow!!

So if you mix eggs with cauliflower and call it cauliflower hash, it's okay, but if you call it toast and put guacamole and an egg on top, it's bad? Is it calling it toast that causes the uproar? Seems like you can call it rice and it's fine. I don't get it. 

20 hours ago, ShanPink said:

So if you mix eggs with cauliflower and call it cauliflower hash, it's okay, but if you call it toast and put guacamole and an egg on top, it's bad? Is it calling it toast that causes the uproar? Seems like you can call it rice and it's fine. I don't get it. 

19 hours ago, Kpax331 said:

I think this is the recipe in question... Personally, I wouldn't call it a "pancake"... 

http://www.delish.com/cooking/recipe-ideas/videos/a48921/avocado-cauliflower-toast-video/

Looking at the recipe I'd agree - this is absolutely fine. And no, I wouldn't call it a pancake either.

Often it's about the proportions of ingredients and how it's served - without a recipe (which we now have) we can only guess, and without a recipe it's better to err on the side of caution.

Enjoy!

This isn't hash. The way this was initially described on the FB group by the person who made it, it didn't sound much different than the cauli tortilla shell which is not allowed -- which is why I asked about it here.  They said they fried it up like a pancake, which is what I said above. 

Archived