Teens

birder

I'm working through my 2nd Whole30 and am so happy to be eating right.  My 17 yo daughter decided to join me this time but I'm struggling to get her to understand how it works.  We are on day 3.  I have tons of food prepped and ready to eat but she is not eating well at all.  She has been eating celery and almond butter for lunches, and carrots and cherries for breakfast.  Any ideas on how I can get her to understand how important it is to eat following the template for this to work without sounding like a nagging mother?    

I hung the template with visuals on the fridge and I've talked to her about it several times.  I have told her she will really crash if she keeps that up.  I've even checked with her multiple times that she is doing this for herself and not because I suggested she do it.  I just don't want to see her crash and burn and then decide this was not for her but I don't want to nag her about what to eat.    She is not a big reader so she read the basics but will not read the book.  Any other ideas for resources?  

I don't have much to add--although I applaud your efforts! I tried to get my 17 year old dd to do this along with us last summer when we did our first whole 30 and it was a battle and I gave up  :unsure:  trying to get her to understand how important it is to eat right. It was a battle for every meal and when I did get her to sit down with us, it was YUCK! I am not going to eat this! She was influenced by friends at school who said that not eating was the way to stay thin and that is what she did. 

Good luck! 

What your daughter is doing is not a Whole30 - she's starving herself (and from your post, it sounds like you know that already).

Why did she want to do a Whole30 in the first place? Does she want to eat more healthy or does just she want to lose weight at any cost?

If it's more of the former, she needs protein AND healthy fat AND vegetables at every meal. (and eating that way, there's a good chance she'll lose weight and/or inches too)

Does she like vegetables and protein? Maybe start with the 1 palm size of protein and 1 c of vegetables she likes at each meal?

I know it's hard for many teens to get it (especially with the misinformation on healthy eating in the general populace), but Whole30 isn't a temporary quick fix diet. It's a lifestyle way of eating for long term health. Maybe she needs to crash to find out that her current way of eating is not healthy/sustainable?

Thank you for the feedback so far.  She wants to do it because she has food sensitives and already avoids some processed foods but she still has a lot of trouble with allergies, dry skin, and attention so her goal was to figure that out.  She does not need to lose weight and is very comfortable with her body.  As she has gained independence her diet has gotten worse, she eats out more and buys herself candy and chips and we have seen a huge change in attitude and focus (yes part of that is just being 17).  I was thrilled she wanted to do it and was really hoping it would influence her as she becomes an adult and makes even more of her own choices.  

She along with the rest of my family love veggies and since I am the person who brings food into the house for the most part they eat like me and they like it.  I don't know why she is eating like she is.  I had a long talk with her today about it.  She ate a decent lunch.  Hopefully she will figure it out.  

17 is a really hard age. They basically have one foot in adulthood and one foot in childhood and move back and forth between these as it suits them because they're transitioning into a really scary period of their lives :) 

Maybe emphasizing the adult nature of committing to doing the W30 program as written will remind her that she made the decision to do the W30 for her own reasons. Whatever those reasons are, she's more likely to achieve her goals if she's fully informed of the benefits; hence reading ISWF is fundamental to success.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived