Pasta = headache?

birgit

Hi!

I finished my whole30 yesterday and reintroduced pasta tonight for dinner.

First: I stopped eating after about half my plate - the pasta didn't appeal anymore. and second: I got a headache about 30-40 minutes after dinner. Is it as possible reaction to the pasta? I really am not sure as it has been hot outside and we are waiting for the rain to start.

Other then the pasta, I stayed "clean" today. Bread for breakfast (without butter or cheese) didn't sound appealling nor did anything else with gluten.

I guess I will try pasta again tomorrow (there's enough leftover sauce from today!) and see if it happens again.

Bye, 

Birgit

Yes I would give some credit to the pasta for the headaches....

I have a little story to tell:

11 years ago I met my partner, and 9 years ago I moved in with him. He happens to be italian.  So we used  to eat a lot of pasta. I was eating a lot more pasta than I ever did in my life before.  (3 times a week)  But what also happened coinciding with the pasta eating(besides the weight gain) were migraines.  I would get headaches before every now and again, but these were shut me in a dark room in bed, turn off the phone, and don't talk to me for 3 days. And would get these 2 times a month. I blamed everything but the actual pasta.  It wasn't until after my first whole 30 that the whole migriane/pasta thing made sense. 

I did re-intro and besides feeling doughy in in my mouth it left a huge lump in my stomach that felt like a 10lb weight.  Within days I had another migraine. (only for 6 hours but still I did get one)

Dairy is a culprit too for me I find I do best when I stay away from both.  So your headache reaction is probably real.  The only true way to really know is to eat clean for a few days and then try again.

From my experience, if you don't eat pasta for awhile (or anything for that matter) then reintroduce it to your diet and you have a reaction, it may not mean you are allergic to it.  It could take your body awhile to get used to it again.

I went on Medifast a couple years ago to lose weight which is a pre-packaged meal plan.  It worked for me but I didn't eat dairy or bread/pasta for 7 months.  On one occassion, I had 2 fajita tortillas and 1/2 cup of strawberry daquiry.  I obviously went off plan but it was a big mistake.  It was probably the sugar from the daiquiry more than the tortillas but the next day I swear I felt like I had a hangover from hell. This is how it was explained to me....Medifast put my body in a state of keytosis which if I understand it correctly, paleo does too if its strict and when you consume sugar (or bread since it turns into sugar), it throws you out of keytosis and your body has to "detox" the sugar again.  This detox period is what causes the headaches (much like when you first began paleo).

On another occassion, when I was transisitoning off of Medifast, I began introducing dairy back into my diet.  I had went on a business trip, stayed at a hotel and came back home and began itching intensely all over but there were no bumps or anything.  I scratched so hard, I bruised myself. I thought I was going crazy or that I had gotten something from the hotel room.  I went to the dermatologist and he said I had dermotographism wihich are basically hives that should last a couple years ( a couple years??!!).  I began noticing that when I ate dairy (ice cream in particular) I would double over in pain and then I would begin itching and getting the hives.  This reaction has decreased over time but every now and then I will have a breakout when I have certain kinds of ice cream ( I dunno why one ice cream is different than another?) I think it has just taken my body awhile to get used to processing dairy again.  I try to stay away from it for the most part though. 

So, what I'm trying to say is that it may not be that you are "allergic" to it per se, but you may have an intolerance to it that will take time for your body to get used to or the headaches could be from the "detoxing" period. Or maybe you will decide that it's just not worth it and stay away. Good Luck. 

From my experience, if you don't eat pasta for awhile (or anything for that matter) then reintroduce it to your diet and you have a reaction, it may not mean you are allergic to it.  It could take your body awhile to get used to it again.

Just because your body can get used to something doesn't mean it is good for you. There is a difference between having and allergy and a sensitivity. When people question me about this I like to use this example. If I poke you in the arm consistently over and over after a while you stop feeling it. It becomes "normal" but that doesn't mean I stopped poking you in the arm and whether you feel it or not it will probably cause some bruising after a while. I think foods that make us less healthy because they are not properly prepared or we have sensitivities are the same way. Eventually you feel like that is normal, but that doesn't mean you are not hurting your body.

Just because your body can get used to something doesn't mean it is good for you. There is a difference between having and allergy and a sensitivity. When people question me about this I like to use this example. If I poke you in the arm consistently over and over after a while you stop feeling it. It becomes "normal" but that doesn't mean I stopped poking you in the arm and whether you feel it or not it will probably cause some bruising after a while. I think foods that make us less healthy because they are not properly prepared or we have sensitivities are the same way. Eventually you feel like that is normal, but that doesn't mean you are not hurting your body.

You are totally right but I think it's up to the person and the degree of reaction whether they want to cut the culprit out of their diet wholly and completely or enjoy it every once in awhile even though they know what the consequences will be.  I like your analogy. :)

• Moderators

Someone who is sensitive to grains might get a headache from eating pasta, but not everyone would. Several years ago, I took a Northern Italian cooking class and made pumpkin ravioli. I had not eaten grains in maybe a year. I ate my share of the ravioli and it did not cause me any problems. On the other hand, I had lunch at a nice Italian place with a friend about one month ago. I ate bread with olive oil, blue crab ravioli, and a salad with some gorgonzola cheese. I had no immediate problems, but within a day or two I was feeling painful gastrointestinal distress that kept me going to the bathroom 5 or 6 times per day and feeling painful with gas. The issue continued for almost 10 days and then one morning I was fine again. Maybe it was something I ate or maybe I just caught a bug that took time to run its course. I don't know, but I am not likely to go for Italian again even though everything tasted wonderful.

My husband and I did our first whole 30 nearly a year ago, and before that we had been pretty much 100% primal with some dairy and 'wheat cheats' for hubby when he was away from home. Since doing our whole 30, we have been pretty much wheat free at home, other than a few items over the holidays. Last week, hubby wanted a pizza and I told him to go ahead and have it. He got a family size 'cowboy' pizza that was lots of dough with pepperoni, sausage, mushrooms and olives and by the next morning he was in serious pain and he finally believed me about wheat not being his friend. And this is a guy who lived on beer bread and peanut butter/honey sandwiches the whole time I knew him in high school and beyond. Bread and wheat products were the one main staple in his life and he has sworn off of them. 

Thanks for all your input!!

I haven't tried pasta again, but tried bread and butter and had no reaction (other than feeling really tired after the bread).

The only strange thing after the pasta was: the whole next day I was thirsty (way more than normal), like hungover thirsty.

I think I will reintroduce dairy next and then try pasta again (maybe when the weather is cooler).

Hi!

I finished my whole30 yesterday and reintroduced pasta tonight for dinner.

First: I stopped eating after about half my plate - the pasta didn't appeal anymore. and second: I got a headache about 30-40 minutes after dinner. Is it as possible reaction to the pasta? I really am not sure as it has been hot outside and we are waiting for the rain to start.

Other then the pasta, I stayed "clean" today. Bread for breakfast (without butter or cheese) didn't sound appealling nor did anything else with gluten.

I guess I will try pasta again tomorrow (there's enough leftover sauce from today!) and see if it happens again.

Bye, 

Birgit

My friends and I went to dinner during my first week of Whole30. I ordered as compliantly as I could (steak with vegetables) but when it arrived it was drenched in sauce of unknown origin. I ate it after scraping off all the sauce I could manage.

What occured can only be described as odd. My neck started to hurt and my temples felt "tight" and it was sort of an almost queasy feeling. It went away after about 20 minutes but it almost felt like I was drunk!

If anything that tells me something in the sauce was very bad for me. If pasta makes you feel like that, you shouldn't eat it. 

Is it worth it to feel miserable just because everyone else is eating it?

I haven't eaten pasta since and don't have any desire for it.

On Saturday was my little sisters wedding and they only had 2 lunch choices (think: rock and hard place). 

I didn't notice anything strange until the next day. I felt sluggish in the morning and without energy the whole day.

I still haven't tried milk yet...

Things you learn about yourself after a whole30 :)

Archived