July 19 - do I have any friends starting with me? :)

howswelegant

Or will I be talking to myself in this thread? I know it's not typical to start on a Friday. I am getting my body composition tested every 12 weeks through the end of the (year 2 to go). I started at 39% and am working to get down to 25%. I'm a little behind pace at the 1/3 mark at 36%, so I'm going all in with a whole30!

Hi there.  I started yesterday, too.  I really noticed all the pop-up food I would've normally eaten on a Friday but didn't...peanut butter right from the container in the five minutes in-between appointments, chickpeas that a friend offered me ("Want some of these chickpeas..they're awesome!"  "No, thank you, they're not paleo."  "They're not paleo?  Why not?"  "They're legumes.") Let the explaining begin.  I would've normally done gelato because it was Friday and I was walking near all these shops and I was sweating like crazy.  I have been gluten-free, grain-free and wheat-free for some time, so Whole30 for me is about eliminating sugar and dairy and peanut butter and too many bananas, and blah, blah, blah.  I look forward to buddying up with people just starting yesterday, today and in July and hearing your stories.  deeNICE   

Good Morning,

My hubby and I are starting this morning.  I just had my first cup of coffee without stevia or creamer. It wasn't pleasant. We are excited to start off this new change of lifestyle today.  The recipes look easy and buying the food wasn't expensive to us because we were already eating healthy, just had a few unhealthy choices each week. I believe that we will be ok. 

Last year we participated in Medifast and we both lost over 35 pounds. I gained back 10 but my hubby gained back all of it. So, here we are again working towards another goal of healthy living. 

Currently we are training for the San Diego 3 Day Breast Cancer walk so I will be using any advice about the Pre workout and post workout meals. 

Looking forwarding to getting to know our new friends starting this week.  It is a long journey but one that can be accomplished if you take one day at a time. 

Have a wonderful first day! 

Carol N Dave

Cool! I'm glad we have a little group here :) I meant to start with Day 1 on 7/19, but I found out after I had a smoothie that smoothies are verboten. Then I signed up for the emails, and it made me start on Day 0. So, I figured I would listen to the signs :) I've been paleo for the most part for about  months now, but like deeNICE, my issue is sugar. I tend to push the limits with "treats" and it doesn't work out well. The longest I've gone really strict is 2 weeks, so this will be a challenge, but will also be awesome.

Today (Day 1, technically) was pretty good. I got a mid afternoon headache, not sure if it was because of food changes or because I'm getting too old for the mall. 

I'm keeping a blog, so if you are interested in way too much information about what I'm eating, feel free to check it out: howswelegant.wordpress.com

Cool! I'm glad we have a little group here :) I meant to start with Day 1 on 7/19, but I found out after I had a smoothie that smoothies are verboten. Then I signed up for the emails, and it made me start on Day 0. So, I figured I would listen to the signs :) I've been paleo for the most part for about  months now, but like deeNICE, my issue is sugar. I tend to push the limits with "treats" and it doesn't work out well. The longest I've gone really strict is 2 weeks, so this will be a challenge, but will also be awesome.

Today (Day 1, technically) was pretty good. I got a mid afternoon headache, not sure if it was because of food changes or because I'm getting too old for the mall. 

I'm keeping a blog, so if you are interested in way too much information about what I'm eating, feel free to check it out: howswelegant.wordpress.com

i'd say you got a headache from not eating enough!! your meals look really small, and don't look like they hit the template in terms of protein or fat size, and you don't eat many veggies. your lunch looks like a mini meal!!

you will feel a lot better if you bump up your meals, and also incorporate some starchy carbs. if your meals are the right sizes, you should find that you don't need the snacks (which are discouraged anyway!). if you DO need a snack...because you're about to gnaw your arm off....go for a mini meal of protein/fat/veggies instead of fruit and nuts :)

Good Morning,

My hubby and I are starting this morning.  I just had my first cup of coffee without stevia or creamer. It wasn't pleasant. We are excited to start off this new change of lifestyle today.  The recipes look easy and buying the food wasn't expensive to us because we were already eating healthy, just had a few unhealthy choices each week. I believe that we will be ok. 

Last year we participated in Medifast and we both lost over 35 pounds. I gained back 10 but my hubby gained back all of it. So, here we are again working towards another goal of healthy living. 

Currently we are training for the San Diego 3 Day Breast Cancer walk so I will be using any advice about the Pre workout and post workout meals. 

Looking forwarding to getting to know our new friends starting this week.  It is a long journey but one that can be accomplished if you take one day at a time. 

Have a wonderful first day! 

Carol N Dave

I don't like black coffee either!! try it with a bit of coconut oil, or coconut milk :) so much nicer!!

if you're only walking, you may not need a pre/postWO - unless you're going flat out for extended periods. if you do feel like you need one, go for fat/protein preWO (HB egg is great and easy), and postWO should be carb/protein, no or limited fat.

i'd say you got a headache from not eating enough!! your meals look really small, and don't look like they hit the template in terms of protein or fat size, and you don't eat many veggies. your lunch looks like a mini meal!!

you will feel a lot better if you bump up your meals, and also incorporate some starchy carbs. if your meals are the right sizes, you should find that you don't need the snacks (which are discouraged anyway!). if you DO need a snack...because you're about to gnaw your arm off....go for a mini meal of protein/fat/veggies instead of fruit and nuts :)

Maybe the photos aren't doing them justice. The plates are pretty big. I do find that I need less food to fill me up when I'm eating actual food and no pasta/bread. I probably didn't NEED the snack, but I was nervous about having a big block of time between breakfast and lunch. I probably should have let it ride and just had some almonds in my purse if I was desperate. I promise I am not starving...or even hungry!

I don't like black coffee either!! try it with a bit of coconut oil, or coconut milk :) so much nicer!!

if you're only walking, you may not need a pre/postWO - unless you're going flat out for extended periods. if you do feel like you need one, go for fat/protein preWO (HB egg is great and easy), and postWO should be carb/protein, no or limited fat.

Thanks for the info on the coffee. 

We "power walk" for hours and miles. We are up to 6-8 miles walks now on the weekends. We chose not to walk this weekend to conserve our energy. But next weekend we will get back to walking. 

My hubby likes Gatorade after he works out, is that acceptable? He is also a High School referee two nights a week. 

Thank you 

We "power walk" for hours and miles. We are up to 6-8 miles walks now on the weekends. We chose not to walk this weekend to conserve our energy. But next weekend we will get back to walking. 

My hubby likes Gatorade after he works out, is that acceptable? He is also a High School referee two nights a week. 

Thank you 

Thank you 

Gatorade isn't ok on a whole 30, I wouldn't even say he should have it at anytime!! so much sugar!!

if you want something  to replace electrolytes, coconut water is a great natural alternative. make sure to find one that's 100% coconut water - many have additives. a post work out meal would be a bit of protein (I go for lean meat or egg white) and starchy carbs like sweet potato or pumpkin

Thank you!  I'll search for some coconut water for him at the store.  I'll also pass along the information about his post workout meal. He will be happy to hear that he will be allowed to eat again. 

I also read in the book that because he is over 200 pounds that I should be doubling his protein so that he doesn't feel like he is hungry all the time.  That was a big problem with a past diet that we were on together. He was not happy at all. I want to be sure that I'm providing him with all the food that he can have each meal. I want this to work for him this time. 

Thanks for your time responding to my questions.

i'd imagine he'd have pretty big hands? and thicker palms than you? his portion sizes will differ in that way, and he can always stick to the higher limit of the template - I started my first couple of days by overestimating meals for my husband and myself as I didn't want us to be hungry and need to snack, and we were coming from having 6 meals a day so eating frequently was what we were  used to.

If you make  your meals a bit bigger, but can't finish it, you can save the rest for later in case you get hungry - this will be a perfect "snack" as it'll just be a mini meal like the whole 30 recommends :)

*waving hand wildly* I started on 7-20 too. It's my 3rd attempt.

the first time, I didn't give up soda. So, it was a failure from the get-go.

The 2nd time, I was doing it with a group of IGers. They all quit the 2nd week and I fell into the trap when stress at work drove me to a soda.

THIS time, I am soda free - day 3. Of course, I'd like to whack anybody who comes within 20 feet of me and my raging headache. (Which is annoying as I was down to less than 6 ounces of soda a day. Sigh.)  It's truly the SUGAR that has a grip on me. It's sneaky and it's what I want to eliminate most from my life.

I already eat fairly well. I tried doing the 80% paleo diet, but found myself slipping, easily.

So, here I am. I'm divorced with no family other than my 6 kids - 5 still at home. I'm hoping by joining the forum, I'll be able to make it the entire time (and beyond).

Wishing you all a great day!

Melissa

I already eat fairly well. I tried doing the 80% paleo diet, but found myself slipping, easily.

So, here I am. I'm divorced with no family other than my 6 kids - 5 still at home. I'm hoping by joining the forum, I'll be able to make it the entire time (and beyond).

Hello melicot :) um 5 kids is a whole lot of family! lol!!!

I'm the same, I was "mostly" paleo, except for Fro Yo runs that became just too frequent...it's a slippery slope! You can totally do this.

Day One for me! My husband and I have honestly tried "a little of this" and "a little of that" as far as healthy eating "plans". I think I've got him so confused! He just said this morning "Last week you said 6 small meals a day, and now this week you cut out snacks"!! 

We are pretty healthy eaters, but we need to eliminate the eating out and the little processed treats that make their way into our house. We also have an 8 year old who needs to eat healthier. 

I do boot camp classes at three local gyms (gym hopper right here!) and walk 3 miles a day with my daycare kids in a triple stroller.

I'm ready to take on this 30 day challenge! I have so many symptoms of thyroid issues (doc appt on Aug 2 to check it out) and I'm hoping that the whole30 will clear some of that up naturally. Great to find a group to go through this with!!

OK so day 3 was sucky, at best. Day 4 is SO much better. No headache!  YAY!!!  I still don't have a ton of energy, but I'm not demanding my body to do too much either. I slept like a rock last night. And the food today tastes so much more intense. And, smells SO GOOD!

I'm still stressing a little over "my next meal". It's weird because normally, I rarely think about eating. It's just something I do. But, during Whole30 (or any type of eating plan) I get a wee bit focused on the food. I need to relax. LOL  Yes, I have meals planned and prepped, but I also have 5 kids at home - 2 teen boys - and I fondly refer to them as the locusts. We're still on summer break and if it's not nailed down (or labeled as MOM'S) they'll eat it.

Hope everybody else is doing great!

• 2 weeks later...

Day 12 for me - still going strong. Sleeping better.

today, I've REALLY wanted a soda. Like, I've been eyeballing them in the work fridge (my job provides free soda and ice cream bars. UGH!!) 

It was the same yesterday, so I had a plum. Then another. today, the skin rash that was *almost* gone has flared back up again. I definitely think there's a sugar/yeast die off going on and the fruit just reawakened it.

today, there will be no fruit.

• 2 weeks later...

Day 26 - seems this thread has been abandoned. I was so hoping to have more interactions. Oh well. :huh:

As I'm nearing the 30th day, I'm definitely going to keep going. Still not sleeping well, still haven't gotten to that amazing energy that people rave about. I think it's just going to take my body longer to get to the other side of all I had going on.

I can say that I'm THRILLED to have gotten this far. Everyday it does get easier - it's nearly effortless now. What to eat isn't a monumental decision - it's easy: protein, veggies, good fats. I like the mix-n-match system.

Off to the recipe threads. Have a great day!

Archived