Before my Whole30 I never thought I'd...

If you have a dehydrator, try the kale chip recipe I recommended. I need to look up the one on Nom Nom Paleo. The one I recommended uses such low temps in the dehydrator, that the nutrients don't get broken down by the high heat of the oven. Plus......I have to say......the kale chips are A-Maaaaaaaaz-Innnnnnggggggg

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Never thought I'd make my own mayo.

Never thought I'd think that eating red meat was healthy.

Never thought I could give up cheese or grains for good.

Never thought I'd try my favorite junk foods again and they would taste like chemicals.

Never thought I could break my sweet tooth.

Never thought I could eat as many eggs in a week as I used to eat in a year.

Never thought I'd make my own mayo.

Never thought I'd think that eating red meat was healthy.

Never thought I could give up cheese or grains for good.

Never thought I'd try my favorite junk foods again and they would taste like chemicals.

Never thought I could break my sweet tooth.

Never thought I could eat as many eggs in a week as I used to eat in a year.

@Xandra, I'm amazed by these too!!! Sweet things are SO sweet now, and veggies taste sweet to me!!  haha.  Am really surprised that I'm totally ok without cheese and grains.  Almost grossed out by them now.  I'm Post W30, but besides reintroduction and eating out where I eat compliant (except perhaps for the cooking oils they use) and occasional zucchini almond meal paleo muffins, I'm completely still Paleo/W30 eating and I LOVE IT.

Make my own mayo.

Stop eating bread of any type. I'm post W30 and forever gluten free now (hooray, stabby gluten stomachaches!) but, really, the last week I've been making "wraps" instead of my hubby's sandwich for myself. Iceberg lettuce leaf with my sandwich toppings, rolled, and dip the end into condiment of choice (I've been craving fat lately, partly because hubby is insisting on cereal for breakfast...ugg...), usually mayo mixed with mustard or my MIL's zucchini relish.

Convince hubby to 1. go into a health food store, 2. buy stuff from said health food store, 3. buy $1000 worth of beef at once (hooray, half cow!), 4. convince him that we will eat the liver...somehow...even if it is just grated and cooked in small amounts into taco beef.

Seriously. He's to the point that he wants me to make mayo (which is awesome) because it's so delicious, and he's asking if I'm going to make fridge pickles once the rest of our stuff from our move arrives. I'm going to try making a ginger bug too (http://holisticsquid.com/how-to-make-a-ginger-bug/) mostly because I don't have to buy a starter for it, whereas the water kefir I had going actually, you know, cost money.

...I'd enjoy just coconut milk in my coffee.  During my first Whole30 I would daily curse my coffee.  I was used to sugar in it, too.  This time I drank coffee for a few months with only cream and no sugar.  Coconut milk tastes almost exactly like plain cream.  I have to admit that is one of the main reasons I avoided Whole30...because of my ridiculous creaming habits. LOL. So glad it's not bringing me down this time.  :D

Let myself eat so much fat! If someone told me I'd make myself bullet proof coffee with coconut oil and ghee, I would have said they were nuts. I was a fat-phobic for many years, eating low-fat counterfeits in exchange for real food. I was the carb queen of chronic cardioville. Shot block anyone?

So grateful those days are behind me :)

I never thought I'd be completely passionate about Whole30.  I'm really astonished at myself.  I'm in an online conversation with some friends about dieting/exercise/healthy eating right now - and I'm so disheartened that the nurse is saying, with authority, that calories in/calories out is the way to go.  I'm so unhappy when people keep talking about "restrictive diets" as if eating junk filled with toxins is liberating.  It makes me so unhappy.  I never thought I would get to the point where I believed enough in Whole30 to actually want everyone to do it.  Now I wish I could be like a Whole30 Ambassador or something.  It makes me so sad when people are reaching out for answers and hearing, from experts, exactly the things that are going to make them even less healthy. 

I never thought I'd be completely passionate about Whole30.  I'm really astonished at myself.  I'm in an online conversation with some friends about dieting/exercise/healthy eating right now - and I'm so disheartened that the nurse is saying, with authority, that calories in/calories out is the way to go.  I'm so unhappy when people keep talking about "restrictive diets" as if eating junk filled with toxins is liberating.  It makes me so unhappy.  I never thought I would get to the point where I believed enough in Whole30 to actually want everyone to do it.  Now I wish I could be like a Whole30 Ambassador or something.  It makes me so sad when people are reaching out for answers and hearing, from experts, exactly the things that are going to make them even less healthy.

Amy, it is a lack of education in the medical community. I am a nurse, and I am constantly teaching fellow nurses how to eat healthy. Nurses receive very little education in nutrition, and doctors even less. What they spew out is conventional wisdom that has nothing to do with the reality of how our bodies are designed to operate. They are focused on disease and how to treat symptoms. It's a whole different mindset.

The key is for people to stop looking to the conventional medical community for answers to health and to start educating themselves. Just because a doctor or a nurse "says it's so," does not mean that they are right. They are spewing forth old news that has nothing to do with real health.

Amy, it is a lack of education in the medical community. I am a nurse, and I am constantly teaching fellow nurses how to eat healthy. Nurses receive very little education in nutrition, and doctors even less. What they spew out is conventional wisdom that has nothing to do with the reality of how our bodies are designed to operate. They are focused on disease and how to treat symptoms. It's a whole different mindset.

The key is for people to stop looking to the conventional medical community for answers to health and to start educating themselves. Just because a doctor or a nurse "says it's so," does not mean that they are right. They are spewing forth old news that has nothing to do with real health.

I agree.  I have experienced the life-saving (literally) benefits of having excellent medical care.  But when it comes to establishing and maintaining excellent health, I haven't found that medical folks know much more than I do.  (And I am not sayin' I know a whole lot!)

• 3 weeks later...

Ooh - I've only ever roasted it in a mixture of starchy veg. I'll have to try that. I even got a friend into rutabagas - the one who's heard of W30 before. She had hernia surgery a week ago, and when we brought her dinner, she was OBSESSED with the roasted veggies (sweet potatoes, mushrooms, rutabagas, carrots with olive oil, chipotle pepper, salt, pepper, and oregano). I was slightly taken aback, since they're our normal veggie side pretty regularly, but it was cool she enjoyed them so much. She isn't 100% strict Paleo, but tries to be (she's a CrossFit junkie) and she really appreciated the compliant food (and that I understood what she wanted...she expected it to be canned soup casseroles the whole time people brought her stuff).

Archived