Before my Whole30 I never thought I'd...

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Eat breakfast. And actually wake up hungry instead of being nauseated. 

NOT drink coffee all day.  I used to make myself 3-4 shots of espresso before work, then drink coffee ALL DAY.  Now I just have the espresso and don't need any more coffee then that. 

Quit diet coke (I still miss it)

• 2 weeks later...

I love NOT POSTING!!!!  Having to weigh, measure, consider and THINK about every single calorie I consume has been a way of life for me since my daughter was born nearly 18 years ago.  The freedom of not having to think about my food (beyond a big Sunday cook up) is just so liberating! 

Like the taste the following together:

-Carrots with compliant sunflower seed butter 

-Sweet potatoes in my tuna salad with homemade mayo dill pickles

Still getting used to the taste of ghee.... Not really liking it so I lean more towards the coconut oil..

...wonder how many times a person can reasonably eat cabbage in a week. (thank you, nomnompaleo!)

...not be bothered by being surrounded by people eating pizza and ice cream sandwiches.

...go through olive and coconut oil at such an alarming rate!

I'm on day 9 of my first Whole 30. I never thought I would be able to eat this much and still feel great!! I never thought I would be able to eat 3 meals a day without snacking in between and so far it really hasn't been hard because I am making sure I eat enough at each of my 3 meals. 

I NEVER ate this much on Weight Watchers and I never thought I would be ok without counting my points. I definitely don't miss tracking and I never realized until now how stressful it was always worrying about how many points I was consuming, how many I had left for the day, and how many I would use up if I ate things like avocado and coconut milk which I LOVE but are high in points because of the fat content.

True, this way of eating takes planning, just like anything else, but I am having so much fun trying new recipes that both me and my husband (who is a picky eater) love! Thank you Melissa and Dallas for putting this program out there and making it free to anyone who wants to live a healthier (and tastier in my opinion) lifestyle! I'm sure as I progress on this journey, I will find many more "I nevers" and I can't wait!

... like olives!

I have always wanted to like olives. I have tried them whenever they've been offered, but I've never liked them. Being Italian American,and having lived in Spain and Italy, I've almost felt like an olive outcast!

On Wednesday evening (day17) we had dinner on the beach. My chopped salad with grilled chicken and balsamic vinaigrette from the local greek.restaurant had 3 calamata olives in it. I took a bite expecting my normal reaction of dissapointment after not liking them again but this time, something had changed. I don't know if it was the late afternoon sun or the sound of the waves and the seagulls, but I thoroughly enjoyed my olives and I can now confidently say to olives "O-live you!"

How have YOUR tastebuds changed?

Not feel guilty about eating HUGE portions at every meal!

...wonder how many times a person can reasonably eat cabbage in a week. (thank you, nomnompaleo!)

...not be bothered by being surrounded by people eating pizza and ice cream sandwiches.

...go through olive and coconut oil at such an alarming rate!

YES! To all three of these!!! I actually googled something like "Is it ok to eat cabbage everyday?" or something. HAHA. I love it for breakfast sauteed with bacon and bacon fat. Also love combining it with broccoli slaw and making an asian slaw or mexican slaw. YUM.

I did my W30 last July when we were "down the shore" at the beach for 2 weeks! I brought compliant deli meat or grilled chicken, sliced veggies and guac to the beach as my lunch and at the boardwalk actually wiped off my son's dripping ice cream cone with napkins instead of "cleaning" it up with my mouth! haha. 

My mom goes to Costco for me since she has a membership and I just had her buy me two big jugs of coconut oil and I'm sending my husband to Restaurant Depot for our 6 pack of huge olive oil tins. Still buy mini ghees from Trader Joe's.  I'm a bigger fan of coconut oil and olive oil.

Also... I know I've said this before, but I CAN'T BELIEVE THIS THREAD IS STILL GOING!!! I STARTED IT LAST JULY! LOVE SEEING WHAT PEOPLE ADD TO IT AS THEY GO THROUGH THEIR WHOLE 30.  I'm down 50 lbs since last July and still going all thanks to W30/W9/Paleo.

like spaghetti squash, sweet potatoes, ghee...AND never knew I would NOT miss cheese!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

I was super surprised by the whole not missing cheese thing. Occasionally now in my Paleo life off the W30 I'll have goat cheese b/c it doesn't bug my stomach, but that's about it!

Sweet potatoes ... Still a work on progress but I am now enjoying them done like oven fries, maybe someday I'll graduated to whole baked :D

Depending on which coast you live on sweet potatoes are called yams and yams are called sweet potatos. Are you using the sweet potatoes with darker skin and orange inside--yummm moist and sweet? Or yams with the lighter skin dry and ick. Have you tried baking the sweet potatoes until they're totally soft? I wrap up a large, peeled sweet potatoe in parchment paper folded so the juices don't leak out, place it on a Pyrex dish and bake at 375 for 1h30min.

Depending on which coast you live on sweet potatoes are called yams and yams are called sweet potatos. Are you using the sweet potatoes with darker skin and orange inside--yummm moist and sweet? Or yams with the lighter skin dry and ick. Have you tried baking the sweet potatoes until they're totally soft? I wrap up a large, peeled sweet potatoe in parchment paper folded so the juices don't leak out, place it on a Pyrex dish and bake at 375 for 1h30min.

What kind you buy makes a big difference.  The ones you get in conventional grocery stores are the worst.  Once I discovered my other options at Whole Foods and my local all-organic store, I couldn't get enough.  My favorite are Garnet yams, but I also like Sweet Hannahs, Jewels, and the purple Japanese one with the white flesh.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Like kipper snacks...I tried some the other day and they are tasty! Wild caught smoked herring with nothing but sea salt. I broke the fillets up onto cucumber slices and topped with a little dollop of guacamole.

touch an avocado

eat so many sweet potatoes

have meat for breakfast!

eat so much cauliflower (blended instead of mashed potato, yum yum)

• 1 month later...

Archived