My Whole30 results!

candlesnfire

Hi! My name is Amanda, and this is my first time posting but I've been lurking in the forums all month lol! I wanted to report my results on my first Whole30. This is long, so get comfortable. :)

A little background about me first. I am 37 years old. Back in 2007, I weighed over 450 pounds. I was miserable, and I didn't think I'd ever be able to escape that hell.  I did a stint of being vegan for about 3 years, during which I always secretly binged on meat.  In 2010, I went vegetarian, then finally, just allowed myself everything (trying the whole moderation thing).  Through those six years, I lost over 220 pounds, and also began running. Unfortunately, my deep dark secret is that I've always struggled with binge eating, and last December, it got really bad.  I also suffer from seasonal depression and decided to try anti-depressants..and also gained 40 pounds back.  I continued to binge, and my runs turned into walks. It wasn't a good time.

I had read about the Paleo diet in the past and just never thought it would be a fit.  I did stints of low carb out of desperation years ago...only to gain more weight back than I'd lost. I got tired of looking for a quick fix, I wanted something that was sustainable! Unfortunately, moderation in all things just doesn't work for me.

Whole30 was my attempt at grasping at a straw; I didn't think I would succeed.  What it has turned into however, is the way I would like to eat the rest of my life.  I read online through the Happiness Project blog recently, that some people are moderators; they can eat things on occasion, like French fries, and sweets.  Then, there are the abstainers, who prefer things in black & white, with no grey area. And that's how I would describe myself.  If I have a cookie, I want 20.  Same goes with bread. I just cannot seem to control myself around stuff like that.  I crave order, and I need things spelled out for me. Whole30 does that for me easily! I don't have to think about my meals, and analyze things to death.  Can I have this? Can I have that? I don't have to worry, because there's a list! And all of the protein & veggies have kept me full, so full  in fact, that while I look forward to my meals, I am longer starving all of the time.  I feel satisfied, finally!  And meal planning comes naturally to me (see: crave order, etc). so that wasn't a huge challenge.  I just designated a couple hours on Sunday to chop all my veggies and put together a weekly menu so I didn't have to stress during the week.

So where to now? I am continuing on with the Whole30 for now.  I am ok with having occasional Paleo items, but I really don't have any interest in the reintroduction of everything at the moment.  I mean, reintroduction to what exactly? For me, the food that the Whole30 plan restricts are ironically the foods that I consider food without breaks for me, namely sugar (ok with natural like honey or maple syrup), gluten, and dairy. 

It's funny, because during my first week, I kept thinking about everything I would eat when I finished my first 30 days.  And you know what? Now I don't care.  I don't really want to stop, I feel too good!

So, on to my results! I have my photos here.  I don't own a scale anymore(sanity!) so I just went based on my clothing, most of which are ALL fitting better and some are even getting baggy!

So, overall I feel amazing, and I am sleeping like a baby!  I feel so much lighter and energetic!

This has truly made a difference, thank you!

post-32905-0-33412400-1374314316_thumb.j

post-32905-0-15606000-1374314317_thumb.j

Wow you look amazing :) you can see a huge difference! I feel the same, during my first whole 30 I was thinking about what I would treat myself to at the end of it - but when I got there my taste buds had changed? I did have a piece of my daughters birthday cake, and do you know what? It really didn't taste that great! Plus the next day my belly was noticeably more wobbly! I'm doing a second whole 30 now and then just plan to continue - you are so right about the reintroduction.

Congratulations :)

Wow, those results are great. I am on day 14 and already feel my bulges are a bit smaller. Like you, I will continue on the W30 (with maybe some minor lapses) forever. It's just the way I want to eat and be.

Great work, keep it up.

Congrats on your success! Your story is really inspiring, and really quite helpful. I'm on day 16, and not sure what my post Whole30 plans are. I have BED and a sugar addiction and think (know actually) I'm going to have to be an abstainer but I haven't fully accepted it yet even with all the positive results I've experienced thus far. Maybe I will feel differently at the end like you do. Thank you for sharing. :)

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Archived