Does ONE DAY really make a difference? Day 29

All I want is milk in my coffee!!! 

I'm on Day 29 of my first Whole 30 and have been using coconut milk or drinking it black. Before my Whole 30 I only had 1-1/2 mugs of coffee in the morning and used about 1/4-1/2 cup milk. Nothing, nothing, nothing takes the place of that bovine juice, and I've even tried ghee (That was totally unacceptable in my coffee!) I am longing, absolutely looooooonging for that first sip of morning coffee...you know, the one where you sigh with pleasure and just know that all is right with the world.  (OK, so I'm a coffee junkie, but I really CAN stop after a mug.  Lol) 

So it's the weekend.  I'm not planning on reintroducing anything for another week or so, because my brain still hasn't quite gotten the no sugar message (cravings for sugar continue.)  But tomorrow, my Day 30, is Sunday morning and I would love, love, LOVE to have milk in my morning coffee. 

Bottom line question... If I have coffee with milk on Day 30 instead of Day 31, will it really make any difference in my results?

Have you tried almond milk? I'm with you on the bullet proof coffee - it made me feel nauseous, but I have a little almond milk in my coffee and I think it's lovely. I'm not keen on coconut milk in my coffee and before my whole 30 is used to drink soy milk (as I'm breastfeeding and my daughter is allergic to dairy) but almond milk does the trick.

Personally I would just want to complete the 30 days? If you have done 29 it seems a shame to cheat on the last day?

I remember this feeling on day 29 of both my Whole30s. It's a personal decision - but you did commit to a Whole30 not a Whole29. Have you experienced some benefits? Maybe write up your success story and your plan for reintroduction ... then make your decision on whether or not to begin your reintro plan on day 30 rather than day 31.

Nice work on sticking it out for more than 4 whole weeks!

Sounds like this is a huge craving for you. Wouldn't it be great if you could hold off until Monday (what's one more day) so you can complete your Whole30 intact and say you were able to hold off that craving for the complete 30 day commitment? Who wants to do a Whole29 when they're so close to completing a Whole30? 

Don't let the milk win! 

I'm with the others.  They all said it really well.

I make hazelnut milk once or twice during a Whole30.  I prefer it to bulletproof coffee.  It is NOT milk, but it is really nice as hazelnut milk.

Give yourself your last day and try to focus on positives.  Look back to the tools and strengths that got you here.  Maybe you will find something in there that surpasses that morning cup.  I mean, I'm sure there are other amazing moments in your days.

• Moderators

You would have to go around saying you did a Whole29 if you add milk to your coffee on day 30. Come on! Hang in there one more day so you can be an honest-to-goodness, full-fledged member of the club.

DAY 31!  I had coffee with with whole milk.  I enjoyed it, but it's not the euphoric rush I had anticipated. (amberino21!)  OK...the thrill is gone.  Why is that? 

I felt kind of grossed out after I had it, thinking about drinking cow's milk. It didn't help to see a picture of big ole cow plastered right there on the front of my carton or organic milk.  Hmmm. WHAT HAS HAPPENED TO ME???????  :o

I'm noticing some swelling in my fingers, just an hour after drinking it.  Is this a coincidence, or does the body react that quickly?

Hey Eileen - from what I've read on doing re-introductions - I think you'll want to have a LOT of dairy today to get a real sense of how your body reacts to it - maybe have milk with lunch and some cottage cheese with dinner. I have immediate reactions to wheat (sinus pressure and headache within seconds of eating it) - so, yes, the body can react that quickly.

Nice work! You made it through your whole Whole30!

I am giggling at your reaction to drinking 'cows milk' - I can't stand the stuff after giving it up for years at a time. Each of my three babies had major troubles digesting cows milk until they were around 2 years old. And nursing my own babies made me really question drinking another species milk. ;) but...post whole30, once I had determined that dairy doesn't bother me, I tried bulletproof style coffee. That is coffee blended (blending is key) with grassfed butter. And I have had it every morning since. All this is to say, many of us like our coffee just so, and those tastes will change over time!

What Jillian said. To do a proper dairy re-intro, have dairy at lunch and dinner today too, and see how your body reacts.

In my dairy reintro, I had organic half and half in my coffee. I decided it was too much creaminess/milkiness for me, and I now prefer the taste of my coffee blended with coconut oil and ghee.  Our taste buds apparently can change in 30 days.

Congrats on completing your Whole30!  :)

Thanks, all, for the encouragement and helpful tips.   I tried ghee in my coffee but didn't blend it.  Just melted it and mixed it in.  Ugh.  I nearly spit it out. By the way, why is it called "bulletproof coffee"? 

So to blend your coffee with whatever...is there any trick to this or do you just use a regular old blender?  I really want to hit on something I love.  Do you blend it hot or cold or does it really matter?

I'm considering trying to make hazelnut or almond milk. 

Chris, when you blend coconut oil and ghee into your coffee, how much of each do you use?  Doesn't the coffee get oily? 

Thanks, all, for the encouragement and helpful tips.   I tried ghee in my coffee but didn't blend it.  Just melted it and mixed it in.  Ugh.  I nearly spit it out. By the way, why is it called "bulletproof coffee"? 

So to blend your coffee with whatever...is there any trick to this or do you just use a regular old blender?  I really want to hit on something I love.  Do you blend it hot or cold or does it really matter?

Chris, when you blend coconut oil and ghee into your coffee, how much of each do you use?  Doesn't the coffee get oily? 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It's called Bulletproof Coffee because it originated from the creator of a coffee brand called Bulletproof. http://www.bulletproofexec.com/how-to-make-your-coffee-bulletproof-and-your-morning-too/

I use a hand blender (worth every penny). I put about 1 tbsp each of coconut oil and ghee (cold/solid) in the mixing container that came with my hand blender.  Then I pour in hot coffee, and blend it using my hand blender's low setting. Creates a nice slight foam on the top (so no, it doesn't get oily): yum! To me, it tastes like an international coffee.

I use a dash of Silk brand almond milk in my morning coffee. Tastes pretty darn good once you get used to it. The first few times I had it were just "meh," however. So give it a try for a few days to see how it tastes to you. I recommend it! 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I'm not an everyday coffee person, or I would go broke.  I do enjoy it, though, although I have always been a milk fan and prefer my coffee with dairy.  On my first Whole30, I started doing hazelnut milk with part of a vanilla bean.  It isn't as oily as the coconut milk I had tried, from what I remember, but my tastes may have changed.  It does look a touch oily, although I have found the full fat dairy to have some of that effect now too.  It is really nice and a bit international as Chris said about Bulletproof.

I prefer hazelnuts, but I have added a few almonds to stretch it and I think they make it a touch creamier.  Just got  but milk bag recently and it has been fun to use.  Fun to crust fish or chicken with the nut meal.

Congrats on finishing!  The book describes the reintros and I don't think it said to have a lot, but it did say a little at each meal.  Since then, I have seen recommendations to try things you would want to add back.  I found it hard figuring out how those foods fit with my otherwise W30 meals.

I use a dash of Silk brand almond milk in my morning coffee. Tastes pretty darn good once you get used to it. The first few times I had it were just "meh," however. So give it a try for a few days to see how it tastes to you. I recommend it! 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Is this post-W30?

I have checked out the Silk brands and they aren't Whole 30 compliant.  I think I'll try coconut oil and ghee blended with a hand mixer (I happen to have one.)  If I like it, it will be easier and less expensive than trying to make my own nut milk.

Thank you again, everyone!

Archived