Cucumber salad

GFChris

Made this cucumber salad yesterday, adapting a non-compliant recipe posted by one of my FB friends. (Original recipe had sugar and canola oil.) Ate it chilled: very refreshing and delicious! Added a nice healthy crunch to my dinner last night. (I halved the recipe outlined below, since it's just me and my husband at home.)

Makes 6-8 servings.

Ingredients:
- 6 medium cucumbers
- 2 small Vidalia or other sweet onions, thinly sliced (I used scallions)
- 1 tbsp sea salt
- Zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 1/4 c apple-cider vinegar
- 1/4 c extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 bunch dill, picked and roughly chopped (about 1 cup)

Directions:
1. Cut the cucumbers into 1/8-inch thick half-moons. In a large bowl, toss the cucumbers with the onions. Sprinkle with sea salt and toss again to combine. Let the vegetables sit at room temperature for 30 minutes. (The salt will begin to break down the vegetables.) After 30 minutes, drain any water that accumulates in the bowl.

2. In a separate bowl, whisk the lemon zest, lemon juice, apple-cider vinegar and olive oil until combined. Set aside.

3. Add the dill to the cucumbers and onions and toss to combine. Dress the salad with the vinaigrette and let rest at room temperature for 1 hour longer before serving. Serve the salad at room temperature or chill before serving.

Archived