Strongly dislike eggs - breakfast ideas?

Emily T

Hello - 

I'm new here and on Day 2 of my first Whole30. I thought I could stomach eating eggs in the morning but after two breakfasts I just cannot do it! I mixed them with red peppers, avocados, onions, and spices and they looked delicious - but I just really do not like eggs! Yesterday I suffered through it - today, I just couldn't eat them. I guess I used to cover up their taste with a lot of cheese and bacon. 

I would love some suggestions for egg-less breakfasts!

Time to accept that breakfast is just another meal...eggs are not required! You can eat the same things in the morning that you eat for lunch or dinner. In fact, it will make your life much easier if you do that...just heat up some leftovers and you're good to go.

Thanks for the advice! Its so strange to think that we are almost conditioned to have to eat certain things at breakfast - I can eat whatever. 

Also, while on my quest to find compliant breakfast meat I came across Aidells sausages - looks like the only one that works for Whole30 is the Artichoke and Garlic Chicken sausage, but I suppose after the 30 is done I can try some of the others. I am now revising my meal plan for the week so that I can build meals around leftovers and incorporate this sausage. 

Thanks all!

I can't eat eggs either! Yuk! I tend to marinate some chicken overnight and fry it in the morning with avocado and tomato salad - my staple breakfast, or salmon and sweet potato fish cakes are yummy and you can have them all ready in the fridge the night before and fry them in the morning - or as everyone says leftovers :)

Ground meat (beef, pork, turkey, lamb) scrambles with lots of veggies. Sweet potato hash (just shred them with a cheese grater and fry up) with added veggies (spinach, kale, mushrooms, onions, zucchini...) and leftover meat (pulled pork or pulled chicken, for example).

I love eggs, but those are eggless breakfasts that still feel "breakfasty" to me. I know it's just another meal, but I find I like things simpler flavour/spice-wise first thing in the morning. :)

ISWF has lots of eggless breaky solutions.

Also, while on my quest to find compliant breakfast meat I came across Aidells sausages - looks like the only one that works for Whole30 is the Artichoke and Garlic Chicken sausage,

Oh that sounds good! The only one of that brand I've seen here that's OK is Chicken Apple. I have also found one brand of Italian breakfast sausage that is fantastic. Can't remember the name... Isellio's maybe? it's raw, chicken, in a 1-lb chub. So there are options out there.

Not that I don't believe you, but were you using high-quality eggs?  I'm at my parents' house (dog sitting) and using their regular supermarket eggs and olive oil.  At home I use high-quality eggs and clarified butter, and my eggs at home are SO MUCH BETTER.

Also, do you like deviled eggs or anything like that?  You could make them with homemade mayo or compliant dijon mustard.

But obviously if you genuinely don't like them, then I would say don't force it if you've given them a fair shot.

• Moderators

Aidells chicken apple sausages, diced and fried up with onions and any other veggie you feel like. My favorite way to eat them is atop sweet potatoes.

My current breakfast favorite is rutabaga hash. Chopped onion, shredded rutabaga, cook up in coconut oil. Serve with other veggies and any protein you like. Chicken is good, or ground meat like lamb or beef.

Finally, theVelvety Butternut Squash from Well Fed cookbook is a weekend favorite. Cook up a casserole dish full and eat it all week, if it lasts!

I have never been able to tolerate eggs very well, and I'm doing a W90 with no eggs at all. Today I made a big pot of lamb & sweet potato stew, and that's what I"m going to have for breakfast this week, along with a serving of fruit and a big glob of coconut cream in my tea. I really need to precook breakfast because I don't have time in the morning to be cooking.

My husband and I are on day 13 of our first W30 and while he loves eggs I just cannot stomach them. This week I have been having asparagus wrapped in prosciutto with half a banana with cashew butter on the side. I make 3-4 of these little wraps with fresh asparagus, although you could saute the asparagus in ghee if you prefer, too. My stomach has been much happier and the prosciutto wrap is less work than a sweet potato hash, which I've also found to a pleasant alternative. I just don't want to have sweet potatoes every day. While I know a lot of people say breakfast should just be viewed as another meal, it doesn't work for me to have leftovers for breakfast (although they are great for lunch!).

My husband and I are on day 13 of our first W30 and while he loves eggs I just cannot stomach them. This week I have been having asparagus wrapped in prosciutto with half a banana with cashew butter on the side. I make 3-4 of these little wraps with fresh asparagus, although you could saute the asparagus in ghee if you prefer, too. My stomach has been much happier and the prosciutto wrap is less work than a sweet potato hash, which I've also found to a pleasant alternative. I just don't want to have sweet potatoes every day. While I know a lot of people say breakfast should just be viewed as another meal, it doesn't work for me to have leftovers for breakfast (although they are great for lunch!).

What are you having for protein? I don't eat cured meat, but guessing that prosciutto would be viewed the same as bacon - more of a fat source than protein?

I've been making breakfast patties, ground pork with shredded sweet potatoes. You can flavor with spices you like. I make them on Sunday and freeze them and have 2 each morning with a bunch of cooked spinich. I am on the AI so can't have eggs and this is a great substitute.

You have to think outside the box here.

I've been making breakfast patties, ground pork with shredded sweet potatoes. You can flavor with spices you like. I make them on Sunday and freeze them and have 2 each morning with a bunch of cooked spinich. I am on the AI so can't have eggs and this is a great substitute.

You have to think outside the box here.

Bet, what seasonings have worked for you?  Not sure if I can find pastured ground pork right now and don't have a grinder yet, but this sounds fun.  I would have no idea how to season them.

I like tuna or chicken salad for breakfast, too, when I'm sick of eggs.  It's easy to make a big batch and have several days of breakfasts ready and waiting in the fridge.  Tom has a great recipe on his website.

What are you having for protein? I don't eat cured meat, but guessing that prosciutto would be viewed the same as bacon - more of a fat source than protein?

I thought that the prosciutto qualified as a protein. I didn't see it listed as a qualifying fat source. The only ingredients are clean pork and sea salt.

Bet, what seasonings have worked for you?  Not sure if I can find pastured ground pork right now and don't have a grinder yet, but this sounds fun.  I would have no idea how to season them.

Nico, I use salt/pepper sage and a bit of cinnamon and nutmeg. I'm on AI so I can't do any paprika or other red pepper or seed spice (I think fennel would be great). The original recipie called for sausage meat, which I didn't want to use because I would not know what spices were in it. I get my pork ground from WF. I don't know if it's pastured, but it is a lot better than the supermarket stuff.

Honestly the sweet potato really makes the dish, It gets nice and carmelized and even frozen and reheated it tastes great.

I thought that the prosciutto qualified as a protein. I didn't see it listed as a qualifying fat source. The only ingredients are clean pork and sea salt.

Prosciutto doesn't have as much fat as bacon. I've been using bacon as a protein source in my weekend breakfast. 4 slices has plenty of protein. I also love applewood uncured salami with melon. YUM!!!

Same here, amberino.  I'd need several packages of it at like $6 each.  Breakfast would get expensive fast!

A side note to those who have access to Applegate prosciutto or other meats.  I learned on Facebook that their website has a coupon.  Breakfast got a little cheaper when I bought my Chicken Apple sausages this time.  (The larger ones are compliant; not the breakfast ones.)

I just bought some Applewood Farms uncured bacon. Dying to try it. I've been eating their uncured Salami, and that is also very good.

Bet, do you have product info on these.  I'm not sure if we have this brand.  We have Applegate and I swear I have read their labels a million times.  If it is a different company I can do a search of nearby stores.

I can only take so many omelettes, so I feel your pain. I was checking out the Found these at http://onceamonthmom.com/ site and discovered two delicious options that feature sweet potato. Not something I'd have thought of for breakfast, but turns out it is awesome.  I made a huge batch of each to have breakfasts for ~10 days.

only 1 egg to "bind" stuff together

http://paleomg.com/blueberry-breakfast-stuffed-sweet-potatoes/

more eggs, but def not the dominant flavor/texture

http://onceamonthmom.com/paleo-sweet-potato-and-sausage-egg-scramble/

You can make your own breakfast sausage with ground pork (or ground whatever I presume). I followed Alton Brown's recipe and just ditched the sugar:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/breakfast-sausage-recipe/

Archived