Starting August 1!

Foodrehaul

Hi!  I'm new to this group as well and am planning to start on August 1st!  I've been making some changes (cutting out sugar is the biggest so far) over the last 6 weeks and think I'm ready to go all in.  Hoping that this helps with my fibromyalgia pain and helps increase my energy!

• Replies 794
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm in for August 1st! Just finished my first on July 22nd and although I am doing ok for now it is easy to slip back into old habits. I worry about that. My husband is supportive but does not participate and I have an 8 year old, 3 year old and 17 month old and although they eat pretty healthy we do have food in the house that is not compliant so sometimes it is hard.

I thought the book really helped me personally.

I'm more the party like a rockstar type myself LOL -- although this past week I've been eating about 90% W30 compliant due to a weekend where The Dreaded Pizza made an appearance.

I love pizza.  LOVE it.  Which would be why we don't get it very often because my self-control around it is, like... uhm... zero.

I swear it took me until Thursday until I felt normal again.  Ick!  So, yeah... another Whole30 won't hurt me one bit :)

Hello, I am starting my 2nd whole 30 August 1st. I did my first in June. It really changed me. I didn't want to introduce anything back in because I was feeling so good. I have tried a few things with bad results. I certainly know which ones cause which reactions now. Mostly I was able to kick out my sugar cravings which were out of control. I am so ready to do it again and excited to join this group.

I'm in! Just finished reading the book and find a lot of very confincing information to make this challenge worth a try.  I have had allergies and skin problems my entire life and hope to get them under control.  Here's to Aug 1!  We can do it!

i have been on a variety of "diets" over the years and heard about Paleo over a year ago.  I have dabbled with it and continued to read articles, books and blogs, but have never truly committed.  I have read Practical Paleo and It Starts with Food.  I love the real food focus, but know this will be a challenge for me.  I have become very aware of the grain and processed food I eat, yet have to completely cut it out.  I am looking forward to this challenge and am happy to be doing this with others.  Look forward to hearing about other's journeys!  

I'm giving myself a bit of an ease-in. I let go of the last little bit of sweetener for my coffee, and I've been skipping dessert and leaving out the carb sides to some meals. I also gave up my afternoon caffiene, which is usually a coke zero or frappuccino.

I may have to wait until the 3rd, because I won't have money for food shopping until the 2nd.

I'm aiming for August 1st too! I have a friend's wedding smack in the middle on the 16th but I have a hotel room with a mini fridge and the dinner is a buffet so I know I can stay compliant!!

I have also been "practicing" and toying around with things. I eat fairly clean right now but gonna have to stop the whey protein and the cartons of almond milk with carrageenan.

Let's do this guys!!!! :)

Hello, I am starting my 2nd whole 30 August 1st. I did my first in June. It really changed me. I didn't want to introduce anything back in because I was feeling so good. I have tried a few things with bad results. I certainly know which ones cause which reactions now. Mostly I was able to kick out my sugar cravings which were out of control. I am so ready to do it again and excited to join this group.

Out of control cravings are definitely motivating me to try the Whole30. So glad to know it worked for you!

We are getting so close to August 1st! Part of me wants to start early but the other part of me wants to scarf down the rest of the greek yogurt I have in my fridge and drink some wine this weekend. Terrible, I know!

I try not to binge and eat all the bad things before a Whole30 because I find it makes the difficult parts even more difficult. And yet...

How are you all preparing to start? - are you weaning yourself now or are you partying like a rockstar? ;)

Not exactly rock star (yet, anyway) but very aware when I'm putting something in my mouth that isn't whole 30 compliant. I started Well Fed today. Great ideas there.

HI everyone!  I started trying sugar free about two weeks ago for the first time in my life...failed on day 3, then strated right up again and failed on day 7.  I think it may have been because I was still getting so much sugar via dairy and "hidden" sugar.  I think I was also underprepared and alone.  So, here I am with all of you, ready to start Whole30 on August 1!  I was really scared to commit to so many changes at once.  I had already cut out the grains and legumes months ago, but I think dairy and sugar will have to go together.  I'm scared, but I am trying my best to understand where I have issues and prepare for them. 

Hi everyone my name is Naomi and I'm from CA.

I'm a Newbie and I too am starting Aug.1st. I so happy that I found this group to hold us accountable and to encourage each other.

Good luck to everyone!

I'm starting (along with 2 co-workers) on Monday, July 29, but I'd love to join this group! 

I did my first Whole30 in April of this year and made it the full 30 days, which was a miracle!  I'm notorious for starting a new diet or "starting over" every Monday after "falling off" every Thursday or Friday... My husband and 3 kids were not on board but my kids started asking to taste my meals and actually found that they liked some of it.  Near the end of the month, whereas normally my kids (ages 15, 13, 9) would be saying, "Aw, come on, Mom, just one ice cream treat won't hurt you!  Have some with us!", instead they were saying, "Wow, mom, you're doing so great.  Don't give up now!"  I think I impressed them.  :)

And, although I didn't preach it, exactly, at work (I manage an OB department and work with awesome nurses every day), they asked me a lot of questions about what I was doing and 3 of them ended up doing it as well!  And they did great!!  One of them never stopped at the end of her Whole30 and now her whole family is doing it.  The other 2 are doing this new Whole30 with me this time again.  I love it!! 

Lessons I learned from my first Whole30: 

1.  Preparation on the weekend is NECESSARY.  -My first week didn't seem so hard because I had a fridge full of food I'd made on the weekend and it was yummy!  Week 2 I didn't prepare quite as well and the whole week was a struggle....

2.  I actually CAN say no to food at picnics/events/potlucks.  And no one un-friended me for it.  I actually served food for a few hours at a relay fundraising event during my second week:  cookies, subs, pizza, chips.  I brought along a banana and water and dealt with it.  It did not kill me.  (Although I wondered for a while...)

3.  I'm going to add exercise this time.  I just need to.

4.  I need to figure out MY way to make this a lifestyle, not just a 30 day challenge.  I worried about this the first time and sure enough, I didn't do any kind of "reintroduction".  I just went back to mostly old ways.  And of course, the good I did started to go away.  I've still kept some of the weight off, but not all, and my skin issues are back, as well as other symptoms that disappeared during my Whole30.  I lost 13 pounds during my Whole30, but even at that weight, need to lose 30 more.  I'm hoping that adding an exercise habit to the mix will help with that.

Look forward to keeping up with all of you over the next month and beyond!!  Good Luck!

1.  Preparation on the weekend is NECESSARY.  -My first week didn't seem so hard because I had a fridge full of food I'd made on the weekend and it was yummy!  Week 2 I didn't prepare quite as well and the whole week was a struggle....

This is always my downfall!! I start out great for a week or two of any healthy eating plan, and once I allow food to run out and can't make it to the store in time, I end up eating whatever crap is in the house. I am really going to guard against this!   Thanks for sharing your good experience with us!

Gave myself a bit of foreshadowing today. I had a template-ish meal (the veggie mix had sweet corn in it and the salmon patties contained canola and maybe soybean oil, so not compliant but template proportions of ). I ate at about 10:00. Now it's almost 3:00, and I'm sitting in Burger King with my kids. Usually I'd finish off my son's ice cream cup since he's abandoned it to play, but I'm not hungry and not only not craving sweets, but it's not very appetizing looking to me.

This should be do-able.

I'm aiming for August 1st too! I have a friend's wedding smack in the middle on the 16th but I have a hotel room with a mini fridge and the dinner is a buffet so I know I can stay compliant!!

You can call the place hosting the wedding and request a special dietary meal.  Buffets are tricky to do with diet restrictions (speaking as someone who's been gluten-free for over 6 years).

I've gone through my cupboards and labeled the items that are compliant with little stickers. All that's left to label are the vinegars with naturally occurring sulfites.

There's not much we have outside the spice cabinet. I definitely need to wait to start until we can grocery shop.

Hello, everyone!

Can I still Join you? I am a german girl (well, woman - I'm 35), and I will start my very first Whole30 on August 1st. I've been preparing myself mentally by reading "It starts with Food" and by reading a lot in this forum. I start from 140kg. Been a fat girl all my life, so this reset hopefully will work for me. 5 years ago I had to deal with hodgkin lymphoma, and the steroids brought 26kg that didn't want to leave yet. I also have some problems with my legs (water) and my skin (psoriasis). I really hope that Whole30 changes a lot for me. I chose agust because it's my vacation and I can really concentrate on this and on me. Tomorrow we will have a short city trip, and we return wednesday night, so thursday I will start my day with some eggs and leftover veggies, before I will hit the grocery store and a local farm that sells organic food (meat).

Hope we will all be successful and able to support each other!

Hello everyone!

We are technically starting on the 29th but would like to join this group. We (my boyfriend and I) successfully completed a Whole30 in May of this year. We have tried to be mostly compliant since then but haven't been very successful. We think it's time to do another one! 

Looking forward to sleeping better and having more energy soon!

Hello, Hello!  I am ready to start on August 1st!  I attempted the Whole 30 for Lent after being Paleo since last October!  My 1st attempt was less than stellar!!!  I have been VERY lax with my eating over the past few months and my body can tell!  It is time to go back to living the way that my body appreciates!  So, Whole 30...here I come!!! :o)  Feeling determined!

Went grocery shopping yesterday and meal planned in preparation of starting in a few days.  I am going to rely on having good meal plans and whole 30 food readily available.  In the past, my downfall in eating has come in late afternoon.  My plan is to keep good snacks handy for that time.  3 o'clock is rough is the tough hour - isn't it crazy that I can even pinpoint the time?  Will be trying a loose whole 30 the next few days to ease into things.  I don't have specific digestive issues, sleep trouble or such, but would love to drop a few pounds.  Looking forward to the challenge!  

3 o'clock is rough is the tough hour - isn't it crazy that I can even pinpoint the time?

Looks like we are in the same boat.  Between 3 and 4 I *lose* it.  I'm sleepy, cranky, want to eat, want to go *home* (my workplace closes at 6!)  I am thinking of preparing some compliant guacamole for that time and having some nuts around.  I don't like either of those snacks very much, so I shouldn't be overeating them, but they will keep me away from the candy drawer (my boss loves to stock it with the one candy I actually eat) and the baked goods (we provide a community service, our patrons frequently bring us things, week before last we received 4 different desserts.)  What else can we do to avoid that mid-afternoon pitfall?  Anyone have advice?

Hello everyone!

We are technically starting on the 29th but would like to join this group. We (my boyfriend and I) successfully completed a Whole30 in May of this year. We have tried to be mostly compliant since then but haven't been very successful. We think it's time to do another one! 

Looking forward to sleeping better and having more energy soon!

I'm starting the 29th (tomorrow!) as well. Was doing so well on Primal and then drifted a bit the last three weeks (stress and family commitments). I look forward to getting back on track and seeing everyone's results!

Archived