Starting August 1!

Foodrehaul

• Replies 794
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am starting the Whole30 on August 1 too.  I started eating Paleo in September of last year to get rid of migraines and I have gone from 15 a month to 1-2 but I didn't lose the weight that I wanted to.  And I have strayed off the Paleo path on occasion.  I am looking at this time to refresh my thoughts and actions regarding the Paleo lifestyle and my health.  It also coincides with the LiveWell activity challenge for Colorado to get active 30 minutes a day so I will do both together. 

I'm starting August 1st too. This is my first whole 30. I bought the book a month ago and have been having a read in preparation. I am excited to start. My pantry has been emptied of anything not compliant and filled with fresh whole 30 approved goodness. Bring it on!! Good luck everyone :)

Hello! I am not sure how forums work, hopefully I can use this as a foundation of support! I am wanting to start August 1st as well. I have not read the book, but my sister and I had tried whole30 in July (of which I fell off the wagon) and I had felt great. Since then I have succumbed to my addiction to sugar, I feel awful! Blurry vision, tired and lethargic, itchy skin..... I am a mom and hate feeling like this. I need help! I have convinced a friend to start with me so we have each other to be accountable. I really really want to stick to this, I keep telling myself it's 30 days, you can do this, but my fears and doubts reign in hope and I find skeptism taking the lead. Ah well.

Just downloaded the book last night and have been reading like a madwoman! This really isn't news to me since I have had various food issues for years. Gluten is my major food issue but I've also found that I'm sensitive to dairy, oats, soy and corn. If I stay away from Corn, dairy and oats I have no asthma! Amazing! But when I let it sneak back in, I can't breathe. I also notice the correlation between what I eat and how clear my skin is. I know this works but it's been hard for me to stay consistent. I want to break my addition to sugar for good! I can live without all the other stuff but sugar is where I seem to cave. It's amazing learning about how the body works and that it's not just a willpower thing. Looking forward to the journey with all of you.

I'm in for August. I've been eating like an a-hole for the past few months, and drinking like a fish. I feel pretty awful, and my workouts and energy levels have suffered (as has my waistline). My skin has gotten really bad, my heartburn that was gone for years has returned, and I constantly have a sour stomach. I used to be religious about shopping and cooking all my meals for the week every Sunday, but the last 6 months I've just lost it. I'm moving into a new home in August, as well as turning 30, so it's a good time to kind of reset myself and get into a new groove in my new place. 

The only possibly non-compliant thing I will have is some BCAA powder, since I work out early in the mornings fasted and that helps. I consider it more like a medicine than a food, or like brushing your teeth with regular toothpaste, so I'm not worried about it (tastes like crap anyway). The big things I need to get rid of are grains, sugar, booze, and cravings for garbage fried food. Behavior-wise I just want to feel in control again, and take the time to shop and cook consistently again. I love cooking; somewhere along the line I just got lazy, so here's to rekindling that love and joy. Let's do this.

BCAA powder is ok, as long as it doesn't have any sugars or sweeteners.

As for planning - any thoughts on planning specifically what to eat each meal vs. having good options around to choose for meal 1 and 2 and then a more specific dinner plan?  I have always been a dinner meal planner (primarily because that is the biggest meal I will have to cook for), but am wondering if I need to plan exactly I am going to eat each each meal for the first few days.  Thoughts?  

Agraves,

I found it easier to have a meal plan for all 3 meals. That way I knew exactly what I needed to buy at the store and make ahead for lunches, etc. However, I don't mind eating the same thing for breakfast everyday (dinners tend to be where I make something different every night- husband likes variety!). You could also check out the book "Well Fed". Melissa has a wonderful "cook-up" plan that allows you to mix and match proteins and veges, depending on your mood! That would allow you a little more flexibility and variety.

Here's a link that gives you a brief look at the cook-up info...

http://www.theclothesmakethegirl.com/2013/07/27/whole30-week-1-food-plan/

I'm in for the August 1!  I'm coming off a very stressful month at work, where diet was CRAP and little or not exercise.  I've tried the Whole 30 before but didn't make the whole 30 days.  I'm determined to make the 30 days this time!  I've reread "Starts with Food", cleaning out the fridge and pantry tonight. Shopping tomorrow!  Counting on you all for support as I live alone.  

Looking forward to getting to know you all!

Pat

I too must do cook-ups (Well Fed style) in order to succeed.  If I don't plan the cr@p out of my Whole30's, I go off the rails fairly quickly.  It really pays off for me!

I am so excited.  I got my farm share yesterday and it was full of goodness!  Green beans, free range eggs, carrots, zucchini, green onions, parsley, jalapenos, corn on the cob (my family will love this and I'll have some today and tomorrow as a pre-whole30 treat), micro greens.  I'll blow through the whole thing with no problem at all! 

I'll be doing a cookup tomorrow and post it on my blog for anyone who's interested.  I'd love to see other people's meal plans too!

Hey, everybody!

I'm in for August 1st! This will be my 2nd Whole30. This past weekend I totally "gluten bombed" myself and am ready for a reset. This time around I am pairing up some fitness goals along the way.

This looks like a great, big group. Looking forward to the journey.

August 1st, let's do this!

This will be my second go at whole30 (1st one was in february). I experienced all the benefits, my health and my overall disposition improved greatly, weight was lost, but....

Old habits die hard, really hard. From my first whole30 I learned life is just fine without dairy or grains, but with sugar... it's a whole different level, I'm really a junkie.

I'm hoping this 2nd whole30 will bring more permanent changes to my everyday diet!

I'm restarting here on August 1st.  I made it 20 days into a Whole30 in July, felt awesome, then went to Vegas for vacation and while I didn't do awful eating overall, it wasn't Whole 30.  Technically, I'm eating Whole 30 again now that I'm home, but I'm going to do longer than just 30 days this time, so my 30 days will start Aug 1.

Since the eating portion of it shouldn't be as traumatic for me this time, I'm going to focus on some fitness goals and get back to being active during this Whole 30!

I'm in for August, too! I'll be glad to have this support system. I've been prepping my attitude and the fridge and pantry are cleared out and waiting for a big shopping trip on Thursday. I'm considering today -2 of my Whole 30. We leave for a camping trip on Friday, so I'm planning out how to approach those three days - but I'm looking at it as an opportunity rather than an obstacle :D.

Agraves,

I found it easier to have a meal plan for all 3 meals. That way I knew exactly what I needed to buy at the store and make ahead for lunches, etc. However, I don't mind eating the same thing for breakfast everyday (dinners tend to be where I make something different every night- husband likes variety!). You could also check out the book "Well Fed". Melissa has a wonderful "cook-up" plan that allows you to mix and match proteins and veges, depending on your mood! That would allow you a little more flexibility and variety.

Here's a link that gives you a brief look at the cook-up info...

http://www.theclothesmakethegirl.com/2013/07/27/whole30-week-1-food-plan/

I was thinking that might be best.  I just ordered "Well Fed" a few days ago, so I am looking forward to checking that out.  Thanks!  I have heard of her cook-up plan, but will need to read more.  I agree that I am pretty ok with eating the same breakfast and lunch to get a easy rhythm down at first, but am like you in that my family will want a bit more variety - which I can understand.  :) Thanks for the link.  I will take a look. 

A couple of weeks before my vacation, I made the decision to start a Whole30 on August 1. But I've been so excited to start, that I had to give things a try yesterday, as soon as I got back! I'm using the next couple of days as "practice" -- so far so good! Let's do this! Hurray for feeling good all the time!

My 4th Whole30. This time I am going to try to pinpoint the cause(s) of some lingering digestive stress. I plant to eliminate eggs, apples, and nuts as well as following the other rules to see if these foods that I eat regularly are affecting me negatively. This is a very different goal from my previous 3 runs, but I think it will be worthwhile.

We leave for a camping trip on Friday, so I'm planning out how to approach those three days - but I'm looking at it as an opportunity rather than an obstacle :D.

Juliearts,

You are looking at your camping trip the right way! I went camping for 4 days last month during my Whole 30, and that's where I messed up. I really didn't plan my food well enough- I had the right cooking equipment to make it work, but just poor planning. 

Enjoy your trip!  :)

Hi there! Finished my first whole 30 on July 10th....never felt better! Had a few set backs while integrating foods back in, then tried not to make a vacation with another family too daunting the past few days and have felt the effects BIG time! Ready to go back to what works...followed it to a "t" for the first challenge and appreciate the discipline I had. I definitely feel like I do better and hold myself accountable if I'm actually "in" the whole 30...at least one (or two) more times! Looks like a great group here! :)

Hey all of you great people in here, I'm joining!

Just got back from a "workation" (ten days of work, five days vacation) in lovely Brasil, where I derailed way too much - now feeling bloated, put on some sugar-booze-carbs pounds that were unnecessary and my skin is showing me its middle finger as well.

All in all, time for my third Whole30. 

Not much clearing to be done as pantry and fridge were emptied before I left ;)

Detoxing right now and preparing - I know the prepping is also one of my week spots, as for many others here.

I do eat tons of raw veggies though, my favorite no-prep lunch being raw veggies with guacamole and hard-boiled eggs.

As a side comment for those debating whether to get the book: It is totally worth it - I have read A LOT about nutrition in my life and still learned a lot from it.

Looking forward to supporting and being supported - thumbs up for prepping days :)

Archived