Starting August 1!

Foodrehaul

Hey guys! I am starting my second Whole30 on August 1st! I made it through my first one back in March. I stuck with a Paleo lifestyle for a while, but old habits have come back and I miss feeling good!!! Something different for this one is I am pregnant this time! I got pregnant right after completeing my first Whole30! This is baby number 4 for us and going to be our first boy :) I agree with previous posters about preparation as being the key to success!! Making sure that you have enough Whole30 approved food at the beginning of each week is really really key!! I am happy to kick the sugar habit again and would really like to have a healthy pregnancy. Looking forward to walking this journey with everyone! 

• Replies 794
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I eat pretty clean overall but snack heavily and eat too much chocolate.  I'd like to get a healthier view of food where I'm not using these things as rewards.  I tried a whole30 last year (August as well) but my heart wasn't into it.  This time I'm in for the whole month.

Hi everyone, I too am starting on Aug 1st. I'm in the process of preparing my meal plan for the 30 days and I have a question I hope some one can help me with.

I do vegetable juicings for myself which I enjoy, leafy greens, cucumbers, ginger, carrots, etc. The juices are very refreshing and loaded with lots of fiber and vitamins. Can I incorporate this into the program as a beverage during my lunch or dinner, like once a day???

Hi. I am in for a start date of August 1st! I've been partly paleo for a while, but have struggled with the slippery slope back to eating junk. I am excited to be doing this with all of you! I am also really hoping to see some gains in the gym. Trying to CrossFit on a poor diet is just a bad idea! Consequently, I'll be looking for gains in how I feel generally, but especially in my athletic performance.

Hi everyone, I too am starting on Aug 1st. I'm in the process of preparing my meal plan for the 30 days and I have a question I hope some one can help me with.

I do vegetable juicings for myself which I enjoy, leafy greens, cucumbers, ginger, carrots, etc. The juices are very refreshing and loaded with lots of fiber and vitamins. Can I incorporate this into the program as a beverage during my lunch or dinner, like once a day???

juices and smoothies are highly discouraged - you can incorporate those vegetables into your meals and eat them instead! they say eating the vegetables makes you feel more satisfied, and maintain better blood sugar levels. you'll also retain fiber in the whole vegetables...there are a few posts on why smoothies are discouraged :) 

I hope everyone had a great weekend!  I ended up leaning more to the rockstar side of the fence, I'm afraid, and I'm really paying for it!  I'm bloated up and my joints are screaming.  I punished ;) myself with a 2 hour bike ride yesterday while hauling my 5 year old in a trailer.  I jest - I love biking more than any other exercise.

@NaomiI - I agree with @amberino21 on the topic of juices.  Juices should be used as an ingredient and not a meal or beverage, I believe.  I know for sure this is true with fruit juice and I imagine the same logic would apply to vegetable juice.  Best of luck with your Whole30! :)

had a bit of a rough weekend. But I will eat clean the next couple of days so I can start out good on the 1st! My downfall is snacking. Still reading the book, so I hope there are some ideas for snacks in the book. But I'd love to hear some of your favorites? Thanks!

had a bit of a rough weekend. But I will eat clean the next couple of days so I can start out good on the 1st! My downfall is snacking. Still reading the book, so I hope there are some ideas for snacks in the book. But I'd love to hear some of your favorites? Thanks!

Snacks aren't encouraged - you're supposed to try and stick to 3 meals a day (plus pre/postWO meals if you exercise).

If you find yourself starving hungry (actually hungry, not just eating to fill some void) you should have a mini meal of protein/fat/ vegetables. If you are getting hungry, take a look at your actual meal portions, they may need adjusting :)

I'm at a dilemma. I want to start again on 8/1 but we are going on vacay on the 19th. So I think I should stick to the W30 as much as possible (no snacking which is my down fall), but reintroduce dairy and perhaps eggs before I go away, since I will probably want to have some when I'm away and I don't want to have it for the first time on vacation. Then I can start again on 9/1. I don't eat grains anyway, so that won't be an issue for me off of W30.

Hey everyone! I'm looking forward to starting my first Whole30 August 1st. I've been gluten-free for a few weeks, and after looking into elimination diets to treat migraines I stumbled upon the Whole9 website. I bought the book and have been "practicing" for the past 2 weeks. It's been hard for me because I am the only one eating this way in my household, and I work night shift. I get bored and tired in the middle of the night so I eat, to pass the time. I'm hoping that knowing I'm doing this with a group gives me the motivation I need to make this a part of my life.

I'll join in on August 1 (for my second Whole 30).  I did my first back in May and it went surprisingly well.  I've been doing okay off, but I'm curious to see how a second round will go.  I'm down about 30 lbs total, most of which came off during the Whole 30.  It probably won't melt off like it did then.  That's okay.  I still have a lot of weight to lose, but at least it's coming off!

My husband, our four year old son and I are starting on August 1st.  My son is allergic to soy, and red 40, and we're really interested in doing this as a family to get away from the processed junk and hopefully help our little man with the eczema and behavioral problems he deals with because of his food allergies.  So excited to be doing this with so many others!!!  We also have not read the book (yet).. hoping to sometime in the near future  :) Here's to August 1st!

I'm in for August. I've been eating like an a-hole for the past few months, and drinking like a fish. I feel pretty awful, and my workouts and energy levels have suffered (as has my waistline). My skin has gotten really bad, my heartburn that was gone for years has returned, and I constantly have a sour stomach. I used to be religious about shopping and cooking all my meals for the week every Sunday, but the last 6 months I've just lost it. I'm moving into a new home in August, as well as turning 30, so it's a good time to kind of reset myself and get into a new groove in my new place. 

The only possibly non-compliant thing I will have is some BCAA powder, since I work out early in the mornings fasted and that helps. I consider it more like a medicine than a food, or like brushing your teeth with regular toothpaste, so I'm not worried about it (tastes like crap anyway). The big things I need to get rid of are grains, sugar, booze, and cravings for garbage fried food. Behavior-wise I just want to feel in control again, and take the time to shop and cook consistently again. I love cooking; somewhere along the line I just got lazy, so here's to rekindling that love and joy. Let's do this.

Hi everyone,

I'll be starting on Aug 1st and definitely feel ready for the challenge.

I can be very strict when required but after indulging on carbs to make the catering arrangements easier for the group when on a girlie holiday in June, I've continued to gorge on the stuff and cannot bear to continue feeling this uncomfortable in my own skin.

I knew something had to change so decided to buy a push bike on Sunday and happened across a recommendation for the 'It Starts With Food' book so purchased that which leaves me tomorrow & Wed to shop in readiness for starting on the 1st.

I will be doing this alone with 50/50 support from my husband.

50% encouragement when there is no impact on him but 50% temptation when he wants a takeaway and someone to share a bottle of wine with him!!

I hope this will be to kick start to a better me........I will be giving it my best shot.

Good luck everyone - Donna :-)

As for planning - any thoughts on planning specifically what to eat each meal vs. having good options around to choose for meal 1 and 2 and then a more specific dinner plan?  I have always been a dinner meal planner (primarily because that is the biggest meal I will have to cook for), but am wondering if I need to plan exactly I am going to eat each each meal for the first few days.  Thoughts?  

I'm in! I debated about waiting to start in September instead of August 1. My vacation starts Friday until the 18th and I'm working on 8 dozen cupcakes for a friends wedding this Sunday, there's bound to be extras and taste testing needed. But I know there's always going to be a reason to put off starting, the timing will never be perfect. My health is important so I need to find a way....not an excuse! And besides my husband and daughter are always willing to be my taste testers :)

I'm starting on August 1st, as well. This will be my second Whole30, though I did it without this forum the first time. I'm looking forward to the support and encouragement of a group this time! I feel so much better when I eat clean and exercise, but my high stress job and husband's layoff last year seriously derailed me. It's time to get back on track for good and another Whole30 is just the springboard to do it. 

I was planning to start July 1st...but summer was chaotic. I am starting August 1st and taking it a week at a time. I plan to do the whole30! I have done several restrictions on my food lately so this will feel like a relief. My biggest challenge will be to clean out all sugar forms and make a meal plan before Thursday :) But I hope to do it!

Snacks aren't encouraged - you're supposed to try and stick to 3 meals a day (plus pre/postWO meals if you exercise).

If you find yourself starving hungry (actually hungry, not just eating to fill some void) you should have a mini meal of protein/fat/ vegetables. If you are getting hungry, take a look at your actual meal portions, they may need adjusting :)

thanks! Guess I need to keep reading... :)

Archived