Starting August 1!

Foodrehaul

So yesterday - Day 28 - I am still going strong.  Our Make-a-Wish Kickball Team is having a bake sale for a fundraiser and they asked me to bring my world famous Molasses Crinkles cookies.  I agreed knowing that I would not indulge.  I didn't indulge at all.  When I made the dough, I didn't taste test.  When I made the cookies, I didn't taste test.  In fact I asked someone to taste them for me and they said they were just fine. The wierd thing is that to make the cookies you have to roll the dough in a ball and roll them in sugar before you put them on the cookie sheet.  I swear that my joints ached last night and I had the worst night of sleep in a long time.  Is it possible that the sugar made it's way into my body through my hands?  Has anyone else experienced anythng like this? I am just a bit whacked thinking this could have happened? Have I messed with my successful completion of Whole30 at day 28?  I am feeling better this morning but I can guarantee you that the last thing I add in will be sugar if ever.

• Replies 794
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Congratulations, we've almost made it!

Here's how we're doing: My husband is sleeping better than ever, is trimming up, and loving the food we're eating. He is still seriously craving beer, and has come thisclose to falling off the wagon several times this week. Somehow he doesn't see the problem with this... :/

My productivity has increased exponentially, and my skin and hair are looking better. I've also had a sense of well-being that i was missing before. We've all had a cold this week, (thanks to story time at the library. Every time we have an outing with a group of children, my toddler catches a cold! Yeesh, keep your sick babies home, people!! I digress...) so I haven't been doing my Couch to 5K. I want my body to heal, so I'll restart next week. I've also been keeping up with the housework better ( a CONSTANT struggle!) and have become a FLYlady follower. I am working on establishing some good routines for me and the wee one.

As for him, he is more regular than he's ever been. We all are, actually. He's still teething, so he's been a fusspot off and on. Much to my delight, he has started saying "num num mmmmm" about the food I serve him. I am interested to see how he does with reintros.

As for reintros, my husband is ready to start Saturday. I have decided to continue until September 15, because neither of us is really feeling the tiger blood fabulousness, despite all the other good things. I am also still not sleeping well, and I want to see if a bit longer would help. I'll probably keep the toddler on it as well. (And now I HAVE to, since I've told all of you! ;) )

Happy day 29!

I signed up and have gotten all of them.

Found the source of my problem, hubby did something to our email server so they weren't coming through. It's all fixed now.

I decided I'm going to start another whole30 on September 1st. I'm not craving anything so the 31st may also be a whole30 day but I'm giving myself the option. Today is our 4 year wedding anniversary so we are going out to dinner Saturday to celebrate.

I hope everyone is doing well as we head into day *30*!!!

I'm glad I'm continuing my Whole30. I have been waking up very puffy in the mornings, and I think it is my body reacting to something I'm eating that isn't usually part of my diet. Could be coconut, could be simply that I'm not getting enough water. Whatever it is, I need to get to the bottom of it. I also need to figure out what else might be causing the eczema on the back of my head. It has come and gone since about week two of the whole30, but for some unknown reason it is back in full force these last few days! Very frustrating.

I may have one tiny piece of very, very dark chocolate in the next day or two, just for a mental health break, and then jump back in. Haven't decided if I'll do that or not....

Happy Happy Happy.

Even though I'm going on to Day 45, I am trying to remind myself what an achievement this is for me... to actually *stick* to my commitment on something that has haunted me for years.  I look back at my original goals and I have achieved them.  The data on 'fewer migraines' is not complete yet.  I have had to take 5 of my migraine pills... I average 9 a month.  So if I can make it through TOM (the next week or so) taking fewer then 4 we have progress!

As expected I am a little discouraged that I am not transformed completely.  In plenty of posts on this forum I sound like the {pompous} sage of body acceptance.  But that's because I see myself in the letter writers (professional dieters, people struggling with bingeing) and my posts are really written to 'myself'.  

I've had to stay away from certain threads because they make me crazy...  I want to shout - WHY are you spending so much mental / emotional energy on losing 20 pounds to get to the bottom of the healthy weight range for your height when you are fundamentally fit?!  Think of what you could achieve if you put all that energy toward other things!  But that's really what I'm telling myself.  Losing 20 - 40 pounds is the right thing to do for my health, not my vanity.  But it's my vanity that wants it done NOW and that wants my 'hard' work to instantly show the kind of results that I value.  Human body don't play that.

I know a life coach who says every one of her clients has 'lose weight' on their list of goals.  She tells them to set that aside... Her words are - you have made being a size 8 your lifes' mission for years and put these other goals on the back burner.  So let's focus on a different goal first.  Being a size (xx) for a few more months is fine because writing your book, getting out of debt, mending your relationships may naturally affect your relationship with food and exercise.  Good habits beget good habits in ALL areas.  Simply making your bed every single day will start a knock on effect...

And that's what the whole 30 has done for me.  It has shown me that I can do anything I'm committed to.  I will not commit homicide or suicide over a sticky bun.  It has shown me that looking after myself is a better lifelong mission....

Wow last day!! 

I was a bit worried about being able to stick to plan at the Us tennis Open yesterday but amid all the fast foos places....I found a gem!  Farm2food stand with organic chicken, beef and veggies!  My mom and I shared short ribs and grilled veggies.  It was heaven!  It took me while to realise, ya know, I feel great!  Not heavy and crappy like after eating a cheeseburger and fried, nachos or hot dogs.  I was looking at all these over people eating crappy food, even the "young and beautiful" and was like "I'm so happy I don;t eat like that anymore!"

One more day until I have a vodka seltzer and a piece of flippin cheese!!!

Happy Happy Happy.

Even though I'm going on to Day 45, I am trying to remind myself what an achievement this is for me... to actually *stick* to my commitment on something that has haunted me for years. I look back at my original goals and I have achieved them. The data on 'fewer migraines' is not complete yet. I have had to take 5 of my migraine pills... I average 9 a month. So if I can make it through TOM (the next week or so) taking fewer then 4 we have progress!

As expected I am a little discouraged that I am not transformed completely. In plenty of posts on this forum I sound like the sage of body acceptance. But that's because I see myself in the letter writers (professional dieters, people struggling with bingeing) and my posts are really written to 'myself'.

I've had to stay away from certain threads because they make me crazy... I want to shout - WHY are you spending so much mental / emotional energy on losing 20 pounds to get to the bottom of the healthy weight range for your height when you are fundamentally fit?! Think of what you could achieve if you put all that energy toward other things! But that's really what I'm telling myself. Losing 20 - 40 pounds is the right thing to do for my health, not my vanity. But it's my vanity that wants it done NOW and that wants my 'hard' work to instantly show the kind of results that I value. Human body don't play that.

I know a life coach who says every one of her clients has 'lose weight' on their list of goals. She tells them to set that aside... Her words are - you have made being a size 8 your lifes' mission for years and put these other goals on the back burner. So let's focus on a different goal first. Being a size (xx) for a few more months is fine because writing your book, getting out of debt, mending your relationships may naturally affect your relationship with food and exercise. Good habits beget good habits in ALL areas. Simply making your bed every single day will start a knock on effect...

And that's what the whole 30 has done for me. It has shown me that I can do anything I'm committed to. I will not commit homicide or suicide over a sticky bun. It has shown me that looking after myself is a better lifelong mission....

I love your posts....but feel like I might be one of the people's posts you mention staying away from :P I'm constantly improving within myself, and torn between "normal" and "comp ready".....I'm starting to be more accepting of "normal" :)

Isn't it great that this journey allows everyone to find out and work on something about themselves? Both physical and mental?

Well I put athletes and competitors in a different camp because everything that happens in their body affects their sport.  It's more the people who want the whole30 to help them lose less than 20 pounds.  As you know, the female body really holds tight to that last bit of body fat!

And I don't mean to sound critical... I AM one of those people who wants to lose (a little more than) 20 pounds.  No one would say I couldn't stand to lose some (doctors, friends, bogus bmi charts) ... but equally making it rule my life is not a good use of my time the way it might be for the Biggest Loser competitors who would be cutting their life prematurely short otherwise.

I'm all for constantly improving!  I think I feel a little bit 'protective' of the whole 30 / paleo approach and want to downplay the weight loss aspect (even in my head) because while you do lose weight (if you need to) it's not 'the Point' - especially to do so within 4 weeks.

I think if I felt I should have lost 10 pounds in 30 days I would be very sad and discouraged right now... so it's self protection :)

This morning I woke up to a 4:30AM call from my 16yo daughter: trouble with her flights coming home.  I can't get to sleep...so i thought: "Maybe I'll just make some desserts to take to the bbq tomorrow, since I can't sleep...and besides, it's the last day of the Whole30, so I can probably eat whatever now and it's all good I'll just have a couple to taste and stress stress stress....."    So I knew I had lost weight based on the fit of my clothes and decided if I was going to go "off plan", I'd rather do that.  I hoped it would encourage me to finish the eating part of the plan all the way and not cheat myself of the last day.  So I weighed myself.  I have lost nearly 7 lbs. 

I went into this hoping I would lose some weight, but with no firm target...I've never "dieted" before so I didn't know what to expect.  All you ever hear are horror stories about how impossible it is.  Now, instead of lemon berry bites, I am eating lamb stew.  Because it's been so worth it.  But, interestingly, changing my eating habits and starting exercise (this has been "The Year of My Body") has totally changed the goals I started out with.  And my self image.  Even though I am still last in my group at most everything, even though I am still so weak on so many things and quite likely overweight...I feel so STRONG.  I've made so much progress!  And I look at my body and I feel sexy and capable, and even though it is not at my "target weight" (which is probably still overweight by many standards....I don't think most people would think 135 at 5'2" is skinny enough, but it's kinda the number I had in my head).  I'll take my 141, thank you very much. 

I have made it to the point where I feel I can participate in things that scared me like Warrior Dash (next week baby!) and a caving adventure (coming this Christmas to a tropical island near you!  Or far form you, as the case may be.....).  I always dreamt of doing these things and thought them impossible.  Now they are going to happen.  And while this journey started way before Whole30, I think this eating program has taught me so much about how I eat and how I *can* eat......I'm SO happy I did it. 

This morning I woke up to a 4:30AM call from my 16yo daughter: trouble with her flights coming home.  I can't get to sleep...so i thought: "Maybe I'll just make some desserts to take to the bbq tomorrow, since I can't sleep...and besides, it's the last day of the Whole30, so I can probably eat whatever now and it's all good I'll just have a couple to taste and stress stress stress....."    So I knew I had lost weight based on the fit of my clothes and decided if I was going to go "off plan", I'd rather do that.  I hoped it would encourage me to finish the eating part of the plan all the way and not cheat myself of the last day.  So I weighed myself.  I have lost nearly 7 lbs. 

I went into this hoping I would lose some weight, but with no firm target...I've never "dieted" before so I didn't know what to expect.  All you ever hear are horror stories about how impossible it is.  Now, instead of lemon berry bites, I am eating lamb stew.  Because it's been so worth it.  But, interestingly, changing my eating habits and starting exercise (this has been "The Year of My Body") has totally changed the goals I started out with.  And my self image.  Even though I am still last in my group at most everything, even though I am still so weak on so many things and quite likely overweight...I feel so STRONG.  I've made so much progress!  And I look at my body and I feel sexy and capable, and even though it is not at my "target weight" (which is probably still overweight by many standards....I don't think most people would think 135 at 5'2" is skinny enough, but it's kinda the number I had in my head).  I'll take my 141, thank you very much. 

I have made it to the point where I feel I can participate in things that scared me like Warrior Dash (next week baby!) and a caving adventure (coming this Christmas to a tropical island near you!  Or far form you, as the case may be.....).  I always dreamt of doing these things and thought them impossible.  Now they are going to happen.  And while this journey started way before Whole30, I think this eating program has taught me so much about how I eat and how I *can* eat......I'm SO happy I did it. 

Very inspirational! Thanks so much for sharing!!

Well I'm officially finished here in sunny Melbourne and feel pretty good.

Funnily enough I have no major cravings for off plan food . Mid way through whole 30 all I could think about was this amazing lemon meringue pie from a cafe down the road.

My skin is clearer, I have steadier energy and my mood is much more even. My sleep is good and I feel rested but I do wake at least once during the night (often to go to the bathroom) which used never to happen. I'd like to get to sleeping for an 8 hour block.

I've learned some lessons, lost 10lbs and 14" which is super but I know I still have big issues with snacking and sugar cravings so I'll be continuing to work on that through the next 30 days.

All in all a super experience and I feel pretty excited that I stuck to the plan entirely for 30 days, it's a good achievement.

So well done us ;)

How is everyone else? 

It's 7am in Germany, so my Whole30 is over, too. I am very excited I really made it!!! Wasn't so sure at the beginning...

But that "it's only for 30 days" sentence really helped along the way... ;)

I am surprised how easy it was in the end. Yes, I missed sugar here and there, yes, in the beginning I craved dairy (not so much in the end though), and yes, when we went out with friends it would have been easier to just eat whatever I wanted. But it was doable.

Now my results. I sleep a lot better and more (!). Funny thing is, I get tired at around 10pm. Will be interesting, when I start to work again (theatre, often until 11 or 12).

My oedema has very much improved. My legs are much less painful and skinnier.

My psoriasis had some ups and downs. Not sure if it improved or not... But my skin is sooooo good!!! No dry skin anymore, and my face is glowing. ;)

My gut had some ups and downs, too. Had diarrhea a few times, then started to take some enzymes, now it is doing good. I don't feel bloated or gassy anymore, and my belly is really soft. ;)

I also feel more awake and focused during the day. I am really centered (like after a good yoga class) and calm. That helps me to relax. I think I never returned that relaxed from a vacation.

Now lets talk numbers:

I am down 13,7lbs (6,2kg). My belly shrunk 7cm, my hips 5 cm, my legs 4cm, and my upper arms 2cm. (I hope you don't mind I didn't convert these into inches...).

I am very happy with all these results!!! On Wednesday I have a doctors appointment (gynecologist) about my hormones, so I will see then what happened there.

Today I am reintroducing dairy (just a little though, I really wanna keep my dairy consumption low in future).

I love the programm, but I am also looking forward to continue paleo now, and have some paleo treats here and there.

I think the only thing I REALLY miss is greek yogurt.  Coconut milk in my coffee and cooking is fine... it will be nice to buy a coffee out (starbucks without milk in it tastes like jet fuel to me... I can drink my home brew black... but not out).

I have not slain the sugar / pastry dragon though.  I definately want to eat between meals still , hungry or not!  But when I look at the cakes at Starbucks or Panera Bread, Im not that interested.  They don't sing to me the sweet siren song of the killer mermaid anymore...

But:

I have never cooked at home so much.. ever ever

I am eating a bazillion more vegetables then before 

Fruit really does feel like an awesome dessert sometimes (I always used to roll my eyes at 'fruit for dessert' before... like right....lipstick on a pig people)

I no longer eat in my car (this was bizarrely a habit I really had trouble breaking.  But paleo food isn't quite so portable.  And here is a reason why I'll never buy a box of larabars... I would tear through those suckers in 15 minutes of traffic.... even today.

I hope hope hope I keep improving and some of this rubs off on my daughter without me saying anything.  

My dream is to just simply have healthy food around all the time and stop obsessing about it one way or another.  That my body - including tastebuds, cravings, sugar reptiles, hormones, will encourage me to make the right choice most of the time and will not dive head first back into the den of junk food when given one serving.  I may overeat a Well Fed recipe because it's yummy.  But I won't keep eating Town House Crackers or plain toast with syrup out of emotional melt down.  They are not yummy.

I think this works for me in a way other interventions haven't because I was fighting cravings and the sugar dragon like I was locked in a land war with Russia.  You can have a 'healthy' high carb breakfast or lunch and still plot to steal coworkers sugar stash at 10 am and 3pm.  Those kind of larcenous thoughts have gone away.  And I now know - because it happenned yesterday!  That I can be the only one out of a group of 5 to NOT get a Wendy's frosty to celebrate the last day of summer and live to tell the tale!  

First of all: CONGRATULATIONS to everyone who completed their 30 days today! And congratulations too to the folks who slipped up along the way and said: "Y'know what? I'm not going to give up. I'm starting over RIGHT this minute." Because, as a life-long perfectionist who CONSTANTLY struggled with black-and-white thinking when it comes to criticizing myself, it's the folks who slipped up and didn't give up that really impress me in a big way.

I've learned so much in the last 30 days.

I've learned:

• I'm a pretty kick-ass cook when I want to be
  • That cooking at home is time-consuming, but not difficult
  • How to clean as I go so that my kitchen doesn't overwhelm me
  • To really listen to my body: Are you hungry? Are you tired? 
  • How luscious food that is also GOOD for me can taste
  • That I can go out to a bar with friends, drink a seltzer, and STILL have a good time (this was a big one for me)
  • I've learned a bunch of other stuff, too... but I think you all get the idea.

I'm feeling fantastic. My clothes are looser, my skin is clearer (though not 100% -- this whole hormonal cystic acne thing is still hanging on), I was able to chuck my antidepressants after 2 weeks, my energy is higher all day long, and I sleep much better. 

In addition to ALL of that feel-good stuff, I did also weigh and measure myself (I love my empirical proof). I lost 17.6 pounds and 11.25" (with almost 5 of those inches coming off of my waist!). I didn't drop a pant size, but the ones I was wearing at the start which were getting WAY TOO TIGHT are now a little loose and way comfortable, so I call that a win! I'm absolutely floored by my results. I knew I was smaller, I just didn't realize how MUCH smaller in just 30 days.

I think in the long term, the best thing about The Whole 30 (and by extension, a Paleo lifestyle) is that it is SUSTAINABLE. I went through pangs of feeling deprived only a handful of times during this thing. And it was generally over something like a glass of wine, not over diving into a bag of Oreos and a pizza. Being able to belly up to a med-rare lamb shoulder chop with an arugula salad for dinner was so decadent that it overpowered the rest.

Can't wait to hear from the rest of you today!

I can't believe I did it!!  Like most who went through the whole plan, I have no desire for "bad" foods.  I just want a drink and some cheese, as mentioned above....a few times!

Congrats everybody and I'll see you in the other forum for those still coming to the forum for suport!

We made it! 30 days of the Whole30! Yay, us!

I haven't checked my measurements yet, but I know I've lost inches because I could pull my shorts off my hips without unbuttoning them! And I have lost 3 pounds. I'm within the normal weight range for my height, though, so that's fine. After four miscarriages and three healthy babies, I weigh all of four pounds more than I did when we got married. :)

My best weight is still about 14 pounds lower than where I am right now, but I'm not in a hurry to lose it since I'm nursing my almost 6 month old. I also figure that my body is taking care of higher priority housekeeping issues like healing my gut and eczema, and when it is ready, the weight will come off easily.

I am continuing my Whole30, but my plan has changed slightly. I'm taking a couple of days 'off' to enjoy the long weekend here, and I will road test a food or two to see how my body deals with them, then jump back in for another 30 days. I'll still be eating mostly Whole30 approved, but I'll see how I do with eggs now, for example. I have really missed eggs! And a small square or two of dark chocolate might sneak in this weekend. :)

I learned from the wasabi incident just how small of an amount it takes for my body to have a rather large reaction, so I'm sticking to this pretty strictly for a while. I have to heal my poor gut and see if I can eliminate or at least reduce my allergies. It isn't much fun to have to eat this way, but living the rest of my life with these allergies is far worse. Even if I have to eat this way for a year or more to heal myself, I will.

Congratulations, everyone!

Note to myself: ok, dairy certainly is not my best choice to eat every day. BUT: I think my bathroom incident yesterday was not caused by dairy. I had the same lunch as yesterday today (because I had leftovers and wanted to test it again). And I didn't have that reaction. I do feel my belly works harder than during whole30, but no bathroom emergency... Yesterday I blamed the ice cream I had for dessert. But I had it again today and feel fine.

But yesterday I shopped some sweets for my husband, and on the way home I had a piece. There was whipped cream inside, so I thought I can have one. AFTER I had it I realized that there was also dough with gluten (!!!). I never thought I might be sensitive to that, but I really think now that the gluten caused my ... Well, you know.

I will return to Whole30 for the next three days and try gluten by itself then. To prove my theory.

About my aching legs I must say, I really can't tell if it is from the food or because I did too much... That was just bad timing... I kind of blame my cleaning up session. But I really don't know...

Ok, so lets move on to the next reintro... ;) and this time I'm gonna be more careful to not mix the food groups... I was sooooo stupid... *rolleyes*

I thought I'd stop by and post, since I haven't in quite some time. I finished the 30 days without incident, though I was sorely tempted by a glass of wine and a gin and tonic on more than one occasion. I lost 11 lbs total and felt tons better. Less inflammation in my ankle and shoulder, better sleep, and my skin and hair look amazing! 

I'm really looking forward to adding grassfed dairy back into my diet, then I plan to live the 80/20 Paleo lifestyle. I never started crossfit (I was just too intimidated, even after I visited and spoke with them) but I did start a walking program. I never measured myself, but my clothes are looser and I can wear a pair of jeans I haven't been able to wear for about a year. After reading about the kettlebell workout here, I might pick up a couple of those and give that a go!

This month is my birthday month, so I'm sure there will be a bit of off roading, but I know I can just look at it is worthwhile (or not) and move on from it, instead of letting it spiral into a guilt/shame binge that completely derails me for months.

Thanks to everyone who participated in this thread. I've really enjoyed reading the ups and downs (and living them) along with you.

Archived