Starting August 1!

Foodrehaul

Starting August 2nd! My husband has agreed to do the challenge with me and I am so excited to see what this will do for my health. I have celiac's and derrmititis herpitiformis....sugar is a huge issue! I have been a mostly clean eater since December and starting getting into paleo the past couple months.I have 3 kids who do not eat completely clean so we do have food in the house but most of it I can't eat anyways due to the celiacs. But I admit I am a sugar addict! Excited to have a group to bounce ideas off and hold myself accountable.

• Replies 794
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Count me in for my first Whole30!  I eliminated flour and sugar for a month prior to surgery at the end of May, and now that I am in the final stages of my recovery I want to give the Whole30 a try.

I'll be starting August 1! This will be my first, and I have actually been contemplating it off and on for nearly a year, and I'm finally ready to take the plunge. I am definitely nervous. I'm 29 and done the classic yo-yo dieting thing (done Weight Watchers and calorie counting and tried lower carb but struggle greatly), and now I'm rather overweight. A couple years ago I did a somewhat similar diet (where I avoided all sweets, most grains, limited fruits and ate mostly veggies and meat). I committed to 21 days for that one, and I did about 25 before going on vacation. I am a MAJOR sweets and bread addict, so it was honestly one of the hardest things I've ever done in my life. I cried almost daily for the first two weeks. I remember it getting easier by the third week, but then I went on vacation to a place where food was prepped for me and eventually returned to my old ways. Therefore, I'm nervous about this, but am more prepared for how crazy I react to the sugar/carb/bread withdrawals. I also really have faith that it will get better eventually! I'm going to need all the support I can get!

I'm so glad I logged in today and saw this thread. I'm going to be starting my Whole30 on August 1, too. I'll need all the support I can muster because the sugar monster is going to be a fiend and not let me go without a fight. 

Hi everybody,

Bet you newbies are (as Melissa Joulean from The Clothes Makes The Girl says) FREXCITED cross between frightened and excited!!!!!

Here are some tips that have helped me along the way with my Whole 30's.

Fat is your new BFF!! Good fats of course:) Embrace them.

Read It Starts With Food, make it your new bible.

Download the Nom Nom Paleo app for great recipes.

Purchase Well Fed, great recipe ideas.

Read, read, read the labels on everything as sugar lurks everywhere.

Drink heaps of water.

Switch your way of thinking to "this is going to be great" rather than "oh I am missing out on??????"

Preparation is key, don't get caught out without some whole 30 food in your bag.

Use this forum and make sure you let us know if you are feeling like going off plan. August 1st starters are here to assist you.

Enjoy the journey, the benefits are so worth it.

That's it for the moment and remember "it's what you do when no one is watching that really counts"!

Good luck

Sue

Finished my shopping today. Prepped a lot of food: chopped tons of veggies, roasted broccoli, cauliflower, sweet potatoes, green beans, roasted some cashews, boiled eggs (some for Scottish eggs, egg salad), made meatballs (recipe from Well Fed), browned a hamburger mixture... more prep tomorrow. I will cook up some chicken, make mayo, cook some beets...

Hi All, I am new to the Whole 30 thing, so hoping that I can have the success that others in my community have had. I am really lost as to where to start and what to eat, I know raw and clean, but where do I go from there.  Wel I am in for the 30 days, starting August 1 2013!

Megan

Hi All, I am new to the Whole 30 thing, so hoping that I can have the success that others in my community have had. I am really lost as to where to start and what to eat, I know raw and clean, but where do I go from there. Wel I am in for the 30 days, starting August 1 2013!

Megan

I'd suggest reading "it starts with food" and reading the whole 9 page - the whole 30 really has nothing to do with clean and raw (even washing your rice and quinoa in detergent wouldn't make it compliant!)

Get your head around all of that before you start or it'll be stressful and confusing!

Thanks for your replies =) Does anyone know if we can have root vegetables such as taro and yuca?

My husband is a excited as I am, and he's not going to participate in the program ;)

I'm doing this for my health, I had an allergic reaction to an antibiotic back in April which gave me tendinitus in both my legs, kneecaps and muscles. I have faith that this program will be very beneficial for me :D

I'm in for August 1.

Not my first rodeo, have never finished before.

Really want to kick sugar/carb addiction.

Tonight is devoted for planning day 1 & 2

Next big grocery shopping trip is day 2, just the way it fell...

Look fwd to getting to know everyone.

Marie in VT

Count me in for August 1st.  I've done one before and had wonderful results but new medication and slipping on what I eat has caused my weightloss to stagnate and I don't feel as great as I did when I managed my food better so lets hope this gets me back on track.

Thanks for your replies =) Does anyone know if we can have root vegetables such as taro and yuca?

My husband is a excited as I am, and he's not going to participate in the program ;)

I'm doing this for my health, I had an allergic reaction to an antibiotic back in April which gave me tendinitus in both my legs, kneecaps and muscles. I have faith that this program will be very beneficial for me :D

Naomi, the "can I have....?" Section of the forum is an awesome place to look, search, and ask for that sort of stuff - someone asked about taro and yuca recently, and I think it's fine :) I've never had either- don't think we get it here!

OK..I'm in for August 1st.

This will be my second attempt.  Started back in July and it went great for 10 days.  I suffer from migraines and at times experience them in clusters.  I fell off the wagon HARD!

I'm back in and ready.  I feel a little more experienced in this Whole30 world and ready for the challenge.

Good luck all!  I will be looking for support and trying my best to give it.

Woo hoo - I have decided to do my Second Whole 30 this August. My first one was in April. I've been Paleo for about a year now, but I think the Whole30 challenges are a great re-set to evaluate poor habits that we may slide in and out of and for me, to eliminate the junk food I indulge in during social situations. Blegh.

Also: my birthday is in August. I haven't entirely thought through how I'll address that (I have a few weeks to figure that out), but if anybody has thoughts on that, I'm all ears. I might just take the day off of work and go hiking so that I won't have to explain when I turn down ice cream or some other crap at the office.... for my own birthday...

Another user shared some of her lessons learned, and I'll do the same:

1. Be prepared to spend more time and money than you normally might. It's time and money well-spent, and there are ways to make a Whole30 affordable, but as a person who cooks regularly, I even noticed a difference.

2. Have a few new recipes that you plan to try throughout the month. This will give you something to look forward to, and it will help you beat the "slump" that some have experienced.

3. Whole30 will improve your life, not just physically, but emotionally. You are in for a real treat!! :)

Looking forward to getting back on board and going through Whole30 with such a great group!  B)

Hi everyone!

I'm really excited to start my first Whole30 tomorrow. Although, two days ago I decided I wanted to do it and just started then. I have been mostly paleo since December but I miss how great I felt during my first strict 30 days of eating paleo. I'm hoping that focusing on eliminating "treats" and "cheats" from my weekly routine I can get into a better mental place with food. I'm really going to miss my paleo banana pancakes on Saturday though! Looking forward to doing whole30 with such an amazing group of people! Good luck everyone!

Archived