Starting August 1!

Foodrehaul

Coconut milk, coconut butter or coconut oil whizzed with coffee in a blender is awesome...much better than black!!

Make sure you include fat in all your meals - you'll get through the days a whole lot easier, especially the first few days!!

OH  YES! I forgot, I did use 1 tbsp of coconut oil and drizzle of evoo on my breakfast/lunch and the olives @ M2...I think I've got it covered.

I do love "bulletproof" coffee just didn't have time this am. :-) Thanks for the encouragement and reminders. :-)

Marie in VT

• Replies 794
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm starting today, August 1st. I've tried the W30 a couple of times before and haven't made it past the first week. This time I'm 11 weeks pregnant and determined to do this not just for my health but the health of my baby too. I'm finally starting to feel better and not have as many food aversions so hoping to do this without too many added difficulties. Anyone ever do the W30 while pregnant? Any advice/tips for me??

Excited to be doing this with so many other people at the same time! :D

Hi everyone! I'm actually on day 10 of my first Whole30, but I want to play with all of you!! I actually started out without using the forum. I didn't get on here until my first week was complete. But I would really like the company. I've been pretty compliant with my foods - no slip-ups that I'm aware of except on the first day (I discovered the brand of coconut milk I was using had sulphites and my almond milk had carageenan. Wth?) and promptly started over the next day. I'm really enjoying the blogs and recipes  - love nom nom paleo and Melissa, too! I have noticed some remarkable improvements already in how I feel. Today, however, is feeling like a down day. TOM is here this week and has really been slowing me down. I woke up with some wonderful cramps this morning!! Yay!! But, other than the cramping and the depleted sensation I have this morning, I've been feeling absolutely amazing! I'm excited to join in with everyone!! Let's do this!!

I'll be staying on my Whole30 past the 30 days. I have a gastro appt September 9 so I'll be sticking to this until then. Hopefully it will result in some really good news!

Hi there! I'm in too. Just went grocery shopping. That was tough. I've learned to be better prepared next time. Spent more money then needed because I didn't have a plan or time to do this right. Excited to do this though. Can't wait to feel better soon.

Good luck to everyone here!!!!!

Awwww, yeah! here we go!!

I  was pretty compliant since Monday but then I had sausage for dinner which I am sure had sugar in it, so I guess I'll officially start today!

This morning I woke up early and went to the market to buy a few things and then cooked up some breakfast, lunch, and got dinner started before I leave for work.

M1: Eggs, spinach, and onion cooked in coconut oil with more spinach on the side and a cup of black coffee.

M2: Chicken breast drizzled in olive oil. Will most likely eat this with avocado and broccoli or avocado and salad.

M3: Beef chili with canned tomatoes, a variety of peppers (like 4) and onions. Is that enough veg? Sauteed the veg in olive oil.

Looking forward to sourcing better beef. My supermarket occaionally has grass fed beef, though, it doesn't say "100 percent" grass fed so I really don't know if it is grain finished, but it really does taste better than the other beef. They also have ground bison, so that would be neat to try!

It's nice to meet everyone! Have a great Day 1!

Hi there! 

I am starting today, too. Very excited to have more energy, better mood and potentially lose the 15 lbs of baby weight I still have from giving birth over 10 months ago. 

Breakfast today was: egg white scramble with onion, spinach, chicken, salsa and avocado. 

What is everyone having for lunch? 

I'm IN!

This will be my second Whole 30.

The first time was a smashing success but it's just time for another one.

My attitude towards sugar will take more than one 30 day run to change....here's to #2!

I'm a SAHM to four young kids.

The last time I did a whole 30 was with my husband and we changed some of the kids food too.

We have seen MAJOR improvements in so many unexpected areas.

Like, my husband lost and entire foot size and his shoes were too big! My kids stopped snacking and just ate three meals a day without those grumpy lulls in between meals!  I slept like a ROCK....and I could go on and on and on.

I definitely need to eat more for meal 1 (only had 1/2 sweet pot w/ coconut oil, and 3 slices pork tenderloin).  I was hungry just 2 1/2 hrs. later.

For meal 2:   turkey burger w/ homemade mayo, avocado slices, spaghetti squash w/ coconut oil, roasted brocolli & cauliflower, 4 olives, and 1/4 of a banana.  

I realize these first few days I will have to adjust/balance/figure out how much food I need to eat at each meal to feel full and eat only 3 meals.  I am not a big eater (at one sitting) so this will be an adjustment.

I realize these first few days I will have to adjust/balance/figure out how much food I need to eat at each meal to feel full and eat only 3 meals.  I am not a big eater (at one sitting) so this will be an adjustment.

I struggled with this initially in my first Whole30 (okay 20 ... :D).  I really am NOT a big eater at all when I'm not just inhaling food without brakes and not thinking.  I found that if I follow the serving size suggestions in ISWF for protein and fats and then really do load my plate with veggies it is okay.  But I cannot ever skip the fats -- and I need to eat the full serving of fats at each meal or I am starving way earlier than I should be.

I found that if I follow the serving size suggestions in ISWF for protein and fats and then really do load my plate with veggies it is okay.  But I cannot ever skip the fats -- and I need to eat the full serving of fats at each meal or I am starving way earlier than I should be.

Thanks, Charissa! I think having more fat is going to be the key for me too. I am not allowing nuts for my Whole30 otherwise I would include them at my meals for extra fat. 

Hi Jenny,

Give up the coffee. I gave up coffee nearly two weeks ago, only a 2 cup a day drinker and whilst I did feel lousy for a few days it was worth it. Pick up some compliant herbal teas and see how you go. As you are aware being a seasoned Whole 30er you may feel bad for your first few days anyway:)

Good luck

Sue

Thanks for the support, Sue. It's nice to know quitting coffee is actually possible. All the best to you this month too! It's so true about the first few days. . .I had a two day migraine last time (but it was SO worth it all you Newbies! ;) ), so it's probably good not to prolong my misery by quitting coffee at another time. Of course it's raining here today-- only the BEST time for a strong cup of coffee. . .darn that Murphy & his stupid law. :wacko: Though this Rooisbos tea I'm drinking now is not too shabby, I must say! Looking forward to hearing how other regular coffee drinkers turned Whole 30 abstainers are faring over these next few days as well.

Gonna make it a whole 30 !!!

Had hot water with lemon this morning. That is going to be my hardest struggle. I love my coffee and I like it creamy and sweet. I know I can replace the cream but with out the sweet I just cant do it. My meal this morning was left over steak and mushrooms. :) Yum!

I guess I am one of the few who actually enjoys coconut milk in my coffee - I don't plan to give it up, but more power to those who are! That takes strength. Happy day one all! Started mine with a weigh in and measurements (reality check!), a 3.5 mile run, a 2 egg frittata with mushrooms, jalapeno and avocado, and of course the coffee. Have a great one!

I truly bow to you coffee abstainers. I learned to drink it black during my last Whole30 (I was drinking lattes made with coconut milk for the longest time - so good!). The thought of giving it up cold turkey sends me into a sweat. I really should do it with my anxiety issues but I think I'll wait until week 1 is over and I'm over the 'worst' to start weaning myself.

Hey Hey,

Decided to whole30 for the month of August.  Breakfast was just black coffee... Hoping my wife comes along too.

Hi Michael, welcome to you (and your wife too, fingers crossed)! Did you have ONLY black coffee for breakfast, or did I misunderstand? I really had to force myself to eat a full meal first thing in the morning for my last Whole 30 as a former habitual "coffee is breakfast" type of gal, but it is super important for setting you up for a great day. . .just my 2 cents. ^_^ All the best to you this month!

Hi everyone! Happy first of Aug and first day of the whole30 for most of us. I decided to start this whole30 on Monday after a visit to my Dr. Surprisingly my Dr. Suggested I look into going Paleo. My best friend and her husband just finished the whole30 and say that they have never felt better. I have noticed a huge difference in both of them. They both seem much more alert, relaxed and happy. I haven't read the book yet, but am feeling pretty confident, just going to keep it as simple as possible to begin with. I had thought about waiting until reading the book and starting next month, but honestly I don't want to put if off another min. I feel that with the support of this blog and my friends I can make it happen. It's been so busy around my house lately, that I haven't even had a chance to make it to the store and meal prep for a week yet, but luckily I have enough to get me through until the weekend. I drank my coffee black this morning and it wasn't bad, but I will be picking up some coconut milk this weekend. I had eggs with veggies for breakfast and didn't miss the cheese as much as I thought I would. Here's to a new and improved you and me;)

Hi all,

This is my second attempt at a W30, been on and off the paleo wagon for 2+yrs. My family is not paleo and we live in a blended household with lots of non-compliant food. I've been known to dive headfirst into the treats and bread once a month or so. :-(

Nevertheless, I am in it for this August in the hopes to get some energy, better sleep, and less anxiety. Less fluff 'round the middle would be great, but not my main focus. I really want to slay my random carb cravings, too much wine and baguette consumption and the coffee-with-honey sugar dragon that has crept back into my life. UGh.

M1: coffee with coconut milk

M2: flank steak and broccoli from dinner last night, peach and watermelon salad with compliant pesto dressing that I made. water

M3: tuna salad with homemade mayo and chopped veggies, sparkling water

So I had 2successful practice days so I'm going to go ahead and call this day 3 for me. I think I'm starting to have the "carb flu" with a huge headache and generally just feel blah. I'm not going to let this scare me off though! I'm sticking to it for the long haul! Hope you all have a great first day!!

Archived