Starting August 1!

Foodrehaul

Starting today - for the 3rd time.  

I've fallen off the Paleo wagon quite a bit lately (the bag of peanut butter cups in the car is a dead giveaway!)  

The thing I love about this program is how it makes my mood so much better!!  Carbs make me crabby...

Challenges include having 2 kids, 9 and 8 years old.  Both are good eaters but both love the bread.  And crackers.  And pasta.  

Husband 80% on board but loves his nightly cookie binge.  

The good news is that I love tuna, fresh veggies, oil and vinegar dressing, boiled eggs and MEAT!  And since I make 95 percent of the meals (and do most of the shopping) they'll get with the program soon enough.

Extreme self care is also on the calendar with 31 days of yoga/meditation.  

I WILL do this! 

• Replies 794
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Michael, welcome to you (and your wife too, fingers crossed)! Did you have ONLY black coffee for breakfast, or did I misunderstand? I really had to force myself to eat a full meal first thing in the morning for my last Whole 30 as a former habitual "coffee is breakfast" type of gal, but it is super important for setting you up for a great day. . .just my 2 cents. ^_^ All the best to you this month!

Only black coffee.  Sometimes I put coconut oil in the coffee as well, but not this morning.  I've been skipping breakfast for over a year and don't have any issues with it.  But thank you for looking out for me!

Well shoot.  I ate the same exact thing for M2 as M1.  I cooked approx 1 lb of ground venison sausage (homemade) with 1/3 of a sw.potato 1/2 of a red pepper and 1/2 of an onion. (I split this in two, ate half, packed half)

to M2 I added a HEAPING handful of olives and a kiwi. I've had 3 16oz glasses of water today, part of a black coffee and part of a black tea. (Neither was appealing to me)

approx. 2 hours after lunch (not even!) and I'm hungry, and I've brought nothing with me, quite honestly I expected to be full.

Hmmph.  Perhaps the fat I put in the skillet wasn't enough to stretch through two meals, but then again, the olives should have held me right?  Tomorrow I'll just bring more food.

Quick question - while I fine-tune the portion sizes is it ok to have a mini meal if I'm still hungry?

Yes. You can eat a mini meal after waiting 15 minutes or so after you eat. Just make sure what you are feeling is true hunger and not a crabing- I believe the example in the book is "Am I so hungry that I can eat steamed fish and broccoli?". If you are hungry enough to find a nutritious, satisfying meal appealing, then you are hungey enough for your mini meal.

Best!

I am starting today as well, so far so good! I have read the book and have since drastically changed my diet, eating Paleo about 95% of the time. I have already seen great results in the way I feel and some in the way I look, but I want to do the Whole30 and see how much better it can be. Looking forward to it!

I have a blog going of what I've been through so far.

http://byebyett.blogspot.com/

Hi!  I'm Colette, the KitchenWitch.  I'm a professional baker. My day begins after noon and I work at night. I never have eaten badly, I just don't eat much. I have no idea what it's like to feel hungry, I just never am. My sister says I'm starving myself to death. I juice something in the afternoon and have some yogurt and fruit before bed. I'm on the Whole30 to learn how to eat properly and keep my body nourished and healthy. Wish me luck! And good luck to all of you who are on this journey.  :)

Yes. You can eat a mini meal after waiting 15 minutes or so after you eat. Just make sure what you are feeling is true hunger and not a crabing- I believe the example in the book is "Am I so hungry that I can eat steamed fish and broccoli?". If you are hungry enough to find a nutritious, satisfying meal appealing, then you are hungey enough for your mini meal.

Best!

Thank you! It'd been a few hours. I think each meal needs to be a bit bigger so I can space out the three proper meals appropriately :)

Had a strong showing of willpower at lunch.  Ordered a carnitas plate without tortilla.  Left the entire portion of rice and beans untouched on the plate.  Just ate the meat and salad (calling some lettuce with shredded carrots and a sliced tomato a salad.)

Also didn't eat a single tortilla chip.

I'm so excited, my 15 year old son is going to join me in the new "Crossfit at home" plan I printed out.  It'll be nice to have someone to cheer me on, even though I have to work out in the same room with him, which will be embarassing.....it might be just what I need.

Marie

My (athletic) 16yo has been working out with me (almost an anti-athlete, started exercising for the first time this year) sometimes and will be joining my Crossfit box in September (she's away for the summer).  It's THE BEST.  Even though she kicks my butt.  She is so supportive.  To have a child willing to do something like this with you is great.  Best of luck!

Day 1 is almost in the books! I'm actually looking forward to going to bed and might even go early so that I can officially have day one completed.

My Meals:

Breakfast: Scrambled eggs and a few grapes

Lunch: Hamburger and Green Beans and grapes

Snack: Grapes and Banana

Dinner: Paleo Meatballs in tomato sauce, Grapes

I realize that is a lot of (high sugar) fruit, but I am not worrying much about fruit intake until I get through the first couple weeks. I'm hoping it will make the carb withdrawals and sugar cravings easier to manage. Plus it is the only food that I really like and actually look forward to eating. I've never been a meat or veggies person, so I don't really look forward to that part. I'm hoping by a couple weeks in, I will learn to appreciate the meat and veggies more and will cut back some on the fruit.

Dinner on the BBQ now so I thought I'd update on my meals:

Breakfast: 2 eggs scrambled with orange pepper, onion, mushrooms, spinach and 2 chicken sage sausages. Couldn't eat the whole breakfast. Full after half. Coffee with coconut milk

Banana. Hungry hungry.

Lunch: 2 pork patties, spinach sautéed in ghee and garlic, raw baby carrots

Had a chai tea to the and help with my hunger. Didn't work

Dinner: rosemary garlic elk sausage, steamed beets, roasted asparagus, raw snap peas

Does my day look ok? I'm hoping I can fall asleep fast when my kids go to sleep so I'm not tempted for a snack.

Day 1 is almost in the books! I'm actually looking forward to going to bed and might even go early so that I can officially have day one completed.

My Meals:

Breakfast: Scrambled eggs and a few grapes

Lunch: Hamburger and Green Beans and grapes

Snack: Grapes and Banana

Dinner: Paleo Meatballs in tomato sauce, Grapes

I realize that is a lot of (high sugar) fruit, but I am not worrying much about fruit intake until I get through the first couple weeks. I'm hoping it will make the carb withdrawals and sugar cravings easier to manage. Plus it is the only food that I really like and actually look forward to eating. I've never been a meat or veggies person, so I don't really look forward to that part. I'm hoping by a couple weeks in, I will learn to appreciate the meat and veggies more and will cut back some on the fruit.

LauraJane, maybe you could try sweet potato with one of your meals. The carbs in sweet potatoes would be better than so much fruit, I think,and help with the cravings. Put some cinnamon on top, too. Yum.

Hi there! 

I am starting today, too. Very excited to have more energy, better mood and potentially lose the 15 lbs of baby weight I still have from giving birth over 10 months ago. 

Breakfast today was: egg white scramble with onion, spinach, chicken, salsa and avocado. 

What is everyone having for lunch? 

liz, why only egg whites? you need the yolks.

Day one is going well for me. Had some pork shoulder scrambled with eggs and salsa for breakfast, tuna salad with paleo mayo for snack, and chili for lunch. Also had some pistachios as an additional snack in the afternoon. Dinner will be salmon cooked in grass-fed butter, some roasted almonds (also cooked in butter), and something green (either sauteed spinach with garlic or broiled zucchini, not sure yet). I know the snacking's gotta go, but I'm not quite adept at doling out the right portions yet, so I'd rather be eating enough versus getting hungry and having to dip into the old willpower account.

Went shopping this afternoon as well, so I'm stocked up on veggies, canned goods, and meats so I can cook up a bunch of stuff this weekend. I'm going for a big pot of Jambalaya with riced cauliflower, maybe some more chili, and some deviled eggs. Made a batch of mayo on Tuesday so that'll probably become a ranch dressing for use on meats and veggies. I feel good so far, and I'm excited to get back to feeling healthy again.

End of day 1.

Kinda hungry late afternoon.....but made it without any abrasions!

M3:

venison steaks (venison is almost gone!)

applegate farms free everything bacon

kale from our garden

greens from our garden with cherry tomatoes and olvie oil/vinegar/dry mustard dressing

organic strawberries (handful) and coconut milk.

cooked venison in bacon fat.

ok just finished day 1....not so bad. Very happy about that. Eggs and ground beef today with lots of veggies. Two under ripe fruits but I ate them anyway. I don't feel sluggish like I usually do at this time. I am hoping I will sleep better tonight and wake up much easier tomorrow. My goals are to get rid of my hip pain and hopefully cure my really bad sinus issues. oh and lets not forget loose weight too :)

End of day 1.

Kinda hungry late afternoon.....but made it without any abrasions!

M3:

venison steaks (venison is almost gone!)

applegate farms free everything bacon

kale from our garden

greens from our garden with cherry tomatoes and olvie oil/vinegar/dry mustard dressing

organic strawberries (handful) and coconut milk.

cooked venison in bacon fat.

Yum! We have a freezer full of elk and venison

i did a Whole 30 back in march and the last week of it my computer was having issues, and i didn't make it back on here to mention the results or anything (i lost 5 lbs and had lots of health benefits), i've had my digestive issues return as i've let the occasional grains and processed foods into my diet. also, i've been meaning to get back to doing another Whole 30 (or maybe 60 or 90) for months, i just have been putting it off, so myself and my kids (6 year old twin sons) will be starting august 6th (the day after our next grocery shopping trip)...my grandmother lives with us (she is 77 and has early signs of dementia and has both rheumatoid and osteo arthritis) and i would love for her to do it with us, but getting her to give up her chocolate, sugar and cereal and milk is not happening at this point (she grumps about not having bread, but is getting used to the fact that i won't buy it, so we are taking baby steps with regards to changing how she eats)...i'm hoping that her eating mostly the same as the kids and i will help her and her seeing us thrive and feel better will maybe convince her to make some changes.  

many of you don't seem to be eating to the template properly - you need to!! the whole 30 is about sticking to the plan for so  many reasons, it's not just about eating compliant food. 3 meals a day. protein, fats and vegies. starchy vegies included (they'll definitely help with energy and brain fog/headaches in the first few days!)...no snacks unless you're about to chew your arm off.

unless you're having other protein at breakfast, make sure you're having at least as many eggs as you can hold in your hand. that'll probably be 3-4 for most of you!

in the first few days, I found overestimating meal portions worked well - If I couldn't finish the meal at meal time, I had a perfect mini meal ready incase I was starving a bit later on. we're all trying to get rid of needing a snack because it's X o'clock, or because that's what your schedule has been up until this point.

don't try and fit your likes/dislikes/previous schedule into a whole30.....if you don't make changes, nothing is going to change. we all want to succeed - so make the effort to change your thinking, and forget what you did before you started, at least just for the 30 days. if it does nothing  for you, you haven't lost much, but if you don't put the proper effort in you'll never be certain whether your results could have been better or not.

Day One Down!  Ate 3 yummy meals, as prescribed but need to make M2 a bit bigger - hungry by 3pm!  Continuing to do some batch cooking - lots of chicken on the grill, baking several sweet potatoes - would love to get some paleo meatballs cooked.  Maybe this weekend. I know this will work best if I have lots of good for me foods to go to in an emergency.

And I, too, am enjoying my coconut milk coffee - found a recipe online that involves a few dates and a blender, which adds a little sweetness. Been drinking it that way for most of the summer now, and am actually preferring it to cream, taste-wise, as well as how I feel afterwards.

Looking forward to Day Two :0) 

Archived