Coconut oil - which is the best kind whole30 approved

I get the cold pressed virgin coconut oil from costco. It's a huge jar (72 ounces I think?) for $20. It does taste like coconut, and I can't cook anything egg-based in it (I use grass-fed butter or ghee), but I've found that if I cook meat in it and use plenty of salt, I don't taste the coconut oil. I actually really like the coconut flavor on certain veggies, especially sweet potatoes.

• 2 weeks later...

I am new to using coconut oil.  When I was reading about it in Well Fed and It Starts With Food, I was under the impression that it would be solid.  Like the consistency of crisco shortening.  And I found a jar at Whole Foods that was not refrigerated and did have that white solid look to it.  But for some reason after sitting on my own pantry shelf for a day or two (unopened) it is now liquid with a small amount of solid particles floating around.  Is that normal?  All of the recipes I read say "melt a teaspoon of coconut oil in pan" but mine already seems melted.

It says to store in a cool dry place  - I live in the desert so nothing but the fridge is really cool.  And it did re-solidify when I put it in there.  

I just want to make sure that is normal and I didn't get a bad jar or something.

Thanks!

I live in the tropics and my coconut oil is rarely solid.

GFChris, I've asked over and over and have been told repeatedly that refined coconut oil is fine.  I'm hanging on to that for dear life, since the smell of unrefined coconut oil will drive me right out of my own house.

I live in the tropics and my coconut oil is rarely solid.

GFChris, I've asked over and over and have been told repeatedly that refined coconut oil is fine.  I'm hanging on to that for dear life, since the smell of unrefined coconut oil will drive me right out of my own house.

Yup, refined is fine too on the W30 - enjoy!

Archived