Bacon recommendations

Katie10485

Hi- just started today and looking for any bacon recommendations anyone has found? Local grocery stores near me include TJs, whole foods, and wegmans- I found most bacon is cured with sugar so I am assuming that means it can't be eaten during the whole 30? Thanks for your help.

It's VERY hard to find compliant bacon. Yes you need to skip any that has been cured with sugar. Even if someone did recommend a brand, you'd still need to check to label to verify. That's all you can really do, read the labels everywhere you go and you *might* find some that's OK. I know you can get some from US Wellness (online) but it costs way more than I'd be willing to spend...but maybe you're a bacon addict and it's worth it to you. :)

Thanks!! Not a bacon addict but was just looking to find additional protein for breakfast so I don't get too sick of eggs. Before the whole 30 started, I also had yogurt, toast, and oatmeal for breakfast so I'm trying to think of some other options.

Breakfast is just another meal. :)  You don't have to have "breakfasty" foods. It took me about a week to adjust to having leftovers and vegetables for breakfast. It makes meal planning much easier if you don't limit the types of foods you can eat at meal 1. 

Thanks!! Not a bacon addict but was just looking to find additional protein for breakfast so I don't get too sick of eggs. Before the whole 30 started, I also had yogurt, toast, and oatmeal for breakfast so I'm trying to think of some other options.

Bacon isn't considered a protein for this program. Bacon is much higher than fat than it is protein so I consider it my added fat when I have it with my breakfast.

Like JJB said, breakfast is just another meal. I personally love eggs so I have them just about every morning. But you can eat anything for breakfast as long as it fits the template.

Costco's Kirkland brand low sodium bacon is compliant as far as I can tell.  Please get confirmation on that elsewhere, but I don't see anything that rules it out.  Literally says "bacon, water" on the ingredients and the nutrition facts don't list sugar either, I know sometimes the two don't match up but in this case they do.

I have found "compliant" bacon at target - it's the low sodium, I know people have at Safeway, too, but personally I would recommend us wellness. for me bacon was important - not something I ate before but I use it as a condiment in many of my meals. the bacon manifesto written by melissa is great but one of the things she stresses is that bacon is...mostly fat...and we eat leaner cuts of meat that is not grassed because toxins remain in the fat...so even though you may find a compliant bacon at target, etc, I would still consider going for us wellness. I am past my whole30 and still eat a lot of bacon but I make sure it's from happy pigs! BACON!!

I haven't had any luck finding compliant bacon, but we made breakfast sausage patties over the weekend that were so yummy, I might never buy it packaged again!  My husband found a breakfast sausage recipe online that called for 1 LB of ground pork, a bunch of seasonings and 1.5 TBSP of brown sugar.  We substituted the sugar with equal parts "date paste" (1 date + 1 TBSP unsweetened apple juice, ground into a paste - VitaMix works great for this).  They were delicious!  I think we'll be making this sausage every weekend for breakfast.  Once our W30 is done, we'll try it with maple syrup.  I recomend making a big batch of date paste, and keeping it in the fridge, so you can use it in recipes that call for a tiny bit of sweetener.  I hope date paste is compliant!  I couldn't find anything on here about it not being allowed.  Maybe a moderator will chime in about that. 

Smiths/Kroger also has one that is compliant.  It's the low sodium store brand.  Obviously, it's factory farmed and if you are following that guideline that it is out.  Me, I ate it sometimes because my options up here are pathetic and ordering from US Wellness was not in my budget.

I found Applegate Farms Bacon at Kroger and it is nitrate and sugar free.

Last weekend I made bacon and jalapeño stuffed burgers and OMG, so good.

I also wanted to share a breakfast casserole idea:

Take Italian sausage and cook it in a pan with onions. Take the sausage out if the casings.

Wisk up 12 eggs with a little salt and pepper and any other spices you want.

When the meat and onions are done put them in a 9x2 rectangle baking dish.

Spread coconut oil in the baking dish first.

Then cover the meat with spring mix lettuces, then pour eggs over the top. Make sure the eggs cover the lettuce as best you can.

Bake for 45 mins at 375.

You can have a wonderful breakfast for the next 6 days!!

Applegate Farms posted about their bacon on Facebook today.  Part of the conversation centered on the fact that it is not sugar-free.

I completed one Whole30 without bacon and did 18 days on the second until I could get the good stuff from US Wellness.  Reading the ethical omnivore series in the blog here helped me decide that pastured pork is a priority for me.

Some people can ask their butcher if the butcher can source sugar-free bacon.  Butchers can also get pork belly.  Making bacon was described on the W30 Facebook page today.

Maybe one of these options will work for you.

Take Italian sausage and cook it in a pan with onions. Take the sausage out if the casings.

Where did you find compliant italian sausage?  Everyone I've checked had some yucky ingredients.

US Wellness Meats sells sugar-free bacon ends for close to half the price of the regular bacon cuts.  If you don't care about having the long strips of bacon, buy the ends.  I also noticed the ends usually had meatier pieces.  I rendered the pieces with a lot of fat and made bacon fat to use later on.

http://www.grasslandbeef.com/Detail.bok?no=1189

If you are just looking for something to supplement your breakfast, try prosciutto.  You can crisp them in a pan in way less time than bacon!  They make great "bacon" bits for salad or you can can wrap them around 4-5 asparagus spears and grill or roast them in the oven.

Archived