Technique for removing aphids from organic kale??

AndreaM

Does anyone have a quick technique to get the bugs off kale? I bought a bunch today that was totally infested. I tried soaking in vinegar/water solution and that got rid of some, but there were still a lot of clingers! I really didn't have any extra time to fool with them, so I trashed the $3 bunch. *guilty*

This is the first time I've ever noticed the bugs, but I'm sure in the past I've unknowingly eaten them...still---once you see them, they're hard to forget!

Soak the kale for 1/2 hr in cold water and a couple of big spoons of salt. Shake hard in the water. aphids are tenacious little b*****s and some may still need to be picked off. It's worth the hard work! Kale is sublime

I've never seen aphids on any of the kale I have grown. Any purchased from my local organic farmer are aphid free too. Perhaps start growing it yourself as it is a super hardy veggie and has a long growing life too. Good luck.

I've never seen aphids on any of the kale I have grown. Any purchased from my local organic farmer are aphid free too. Perhaps start growing it yourself as it is a super hardy veggie and has a long growing life too. Good luck.

I've seen moth bits, like little eggs, but not aphids that I remember

• Moderators

My farmer recommends soaking veggies in salt water to kill or at least weaken and dislodge any critters. I use a salt water bath when I see bugs or slugs. Otherwise, I just rinse 3 to 5 times. Direct from the farm produce is different than what you buy in a grocery store because stuff in the store has typically already been washed very carefully.

I love wilted kale, but I am sure the only reason I do is because a cook at Whole Foods told me I needed to add vinegar and something sweet like chopped Granny Smith apple to really make it good. I don't bother with apple much anymore, but I do frequently add either dried cranberries with apple cider vinegar or use a fruit-infused balsamic vinegar.

Archived