Show me your lists!

Julie (Cave Eatee)

It's different every week, as I try to shake it up with different recipes. Oh, and I go to the store more than once a week since doing Whole30.  :) 

My staples lately are sardines, sweet potatoes, avocados, eggs, tomatoes, nectarines, strawberries.

Yesterday I bought rutabaga for the first time ever to use in making a breakfast casserole.

Today I'll be hitting the grocery store to pick up some ingredients to make PaleOMG's Savory Sweet Potato Meatloaf. http://paleomg.com/paleo-savory-sweet-potato-meatloaf/  Namely, the beef, bacon, raisins and cinnamon (I've got everything else).

Great point, GFChris!  I've gotten away from my frequent trips to the grocery store but that will definitely be in the plan.  I tend to do one major cookup on Sundays so I can usually get away with getting the bulk of my shopping done in one shot with just a few small trips to supplement the fresh produce.

I attempt to add one 'new' ingredient I've never had a week - I have never had sardines, believe it or not, but I do LOVE salty things so perhaps it will be my choice this week.  I'm anxious to hear how the rutebega goes - if it's at all like turnip, I think it's delicious!

Thanks for the response :)

Julie

Chicken breast - bought in bulk

Shrimp - not every week, depends on the price

Chicken drumsticks

Pork chops

Some kind of beef - this week it was cube steak, last week it was ground beef

Bacon (sugar free, of course)

Bell peppers - every other week

Avocados

Carrots

Like a thousand things of cauliflower

Sweet potatoes

Berries - depends on what's on sale

Zucchini

Grass-fed unsalted butter - I use it to make ghee and two sticks has lasted me 20+ days so far

Coconut milk (canned)

Tomatoes - fire-roasted, usually, but sometimes tomato paste or tomato sauce

Eggs

Walnuts - not every week, I just try to have some on hand

Almonds - ditto

Sometimes I mix it up, like Kroger had a sale a couple weeks ago for lobster tails - two for $10. I'm planning on buying parsnips soon. I bought some beets but I haven't done anything with them yet.

I probably go shopping every 5 days or so.

protein:

2 cartons of eggs (30 eggs)

2 whole chickens

1 lb of diced chicken

1 lb of mince

1 lb of lamb (if they have it)

1-2 lbs of minced pork or minced beef

8 tins of tuna

steaks (beef or pork, if on offer)

veg:

sweet potatoes (1/day)

cauliflower

broccoli

2 bags of spinach (600g in total)

2 bags of kale and/or spring greens (600-800g in total)

1 lb of carrots

4 bell peppers

bag of onions

carton of cherry tomatoes

lemons & limes

avocado (if I'm lucky enough to find decent ones)

staples:

tinned tomatoes

tomato paste

coconut milk

spices (I go through a bottle of cumin a week)

olive oil (light and mild for mayonnaise)

fish sauce

sparkling water

nuts and dried fruit (for adding to salads or curries)

olives

oh, courgettes are frequent on my list (for fake noodles)

Chris-- rutabaga is an excellent potato-like substitute, should be fab in breakfast casserole.  It can be a bit bitter though, so I think it's best in something that's well-spiced.

Peaslepuff-- I did a parsnip & carrot puree (I think it was nomnompaleo) that I ate for about a week straight.

I use this list: http://whole9life.com/book/ISWF-Shopping-List.pdf

I have tried all kinds of new proteins, fats and veggies.  The veggie list keeps me entertained.  I try to check off as many as I can in about 2 weeks.  I also try to focus on the ones in green and try to buy seasonal and local, if I can.

Variety and courage have made this sustainable for me.

For two of us....

(We try and buy most at the weekend, veggies normally topped up during the week)

A few kgs of chicken breast

Steaks - to mince and to eat as steak

Osso bucco

Cheaper cuts for slow cooking

A roast - lamb or beef

Kangaroo steak

Salmon/white fish

(Not all every week - depends on what's in the freezer

6-8 dozen eggs per week

About 2-3kgs spinach

Bags of mixed lettuce

Bunches of Kale

Cabbage

About 20 zucchini

Capsicum - red and yellow

4 punnets cherry tomatoes

Bags of mushrooms

Heads of broccoli and cauliflower

Eggplants

Leeks

6-8 huge sweet potatoes

2-3 big butternut pumpkins

Brussel sprouts

Alfalfa

Spring onions

Carrots - 1kg each of orange, yellow and purple

Green beans

Cos lettuces

Fresh Herbs - thyme, dill, coriander, chives, parsley

3-4 big cucumbers

Onions

Garlic

Parsnips

Celery

Lemons

Apples

Bananas

Pineapple

Frozen organic berries

Kiwi fruit

Chillis

Beetroot

Ginger

Avocado

Bottles of tomato sauce and paste

Coconut milk

Coconut oil

Olive oil

Ghee

Dried herbs and spices

Almond butter

Compliant curry paste

Coconut flour

Coconut aminos

Coconut butter

That might be it...not sure :D

So many great lists - thank you!  I'm getting some great ideas here for some variety!

@Nico , I LOVE the idea of a challenge to check off as many veggie items off the Whole9 Life list as possible.  Eating enough vegetables has always been my biggest challenge and your idea makes it just a little bit more fun!  Thank you :) "Variety and courage have made this sustainable for me." I also love this comment and will remember it - so simple but very true.

Cheers,

Julie

I'm anxious to hear how the rutebega goes - if it's at all like turnip, I think it's delicious!

Chris-- rutabaga is an excellent potato-like substitute, should be fab in breakfast casserole.  It can be a bit bitter though, so I think it's best in something that's well-spiced.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The rutabaga was a success! Once I figured out how to peel it (thanks Google), I shredded it using my food processor.

The recipe was very simple: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-breakfast-casserole/#axzz2ZEcj9adt I used rutabaga instead of turnip, added some salt and pepper to the ground beef when I cooked it, and had 1/2 a zucchini hanging around, so I sliced that thin and added it to the recipe.  Tasty!  Not sure how much I can really taste the rutabaga - for me, it predominantly adds texture.

A keeper recipe, nonetheless!

Rutabaga is a regular on our list.  Tom Denham has a rutabaga chili recipe that we really enjoyed.  After that, it has gone into purees and all sort of places.  Soup is on the menu next.  I find turnips to be bitter.  Rutabagas are much more my speed.

(Never tried either before I had that list in my hand.)

Here's a list of everything I buy (not always all at once!)

Protein:

Ground chicken, boneless skinless chicken breasts (organic when I can afford it), ground turkey, all natural compliant deli turkey, eggs, grassfed ground beef, smoked salmon, canned tuna, shrimp, salmon, tilapia, scallops

Veggies:

acorn squash, butternut squash, spaghetti squash, carrots (staple food!), bell peppers, bok choy, cucumbers, eggplant, jicama, kale, parsnips, pumpkin (canned), spinach, zucchini, yellow squash, sweet potatoes, tomatoes, turnips

Fruits:

bananas, kiwis (on occasion)

Fats:

Grassfed butter (which I clarify myself), coconut oil, EVOO, cashews, coconut butter, coconut flakes, coconut milk (canned), macadamia nuts (which I make macadamia nut butter with), almonds and hazelnuts (on occasion)

I thought of you all when I was at the store today and came very close to picking up a rutabaga!  I'm kind of wishing I was starting my whole30 tomorrow now but I need more preparation time or I'll doom myself to failure.  Waiting will also give me more time to re-read It Starts With Food and the Survival Guide.  I have a new contact who raises grass-fed beef and can get a VERY good price on it so I'm going to splurge for that too. 

@ErinK I am definitely going to pick up some grassfed butter this time around.  I have never tried it!  It just sounds delicious. 

I'm of to make some Paleo Mexican Chicken with sweet and cubanelle peppers - yum yum! 

I hope people keep posting their lists - I find it so helpful to get the wheels turning on some new dishes - thanks again!

To get the two of us through one week...

Farmer's Market:

tomatoes

cucumber

bell peppers

herbs

summer squash

carrots

onions

3 doz eggs

melon

peaches

coffee

Grocery Store:

spaghetti squash

avocados

1 lb greens

oils - coconut and olive (about 1x month)

butter for ghee

spices

whole chickens

pork shoulder

chicken wings & thighs

tuna pouches

sardine tins

spicy mustard

sweet potatoes, about 4lb.

Every 2 months I stock up on an eighth of beef from a local farmer.

You guys have really inspired me!  I signed up this morning for a share in a "Community Supported Agriculture" program and will be picking up a half-bushel of farm fresh, organic veggies along with 2 dozen free range eggs every week starting next week!  Every week will be a surprise at what I get so I'm going to make sure to take pictures and post on my blog - maybe geeky of me but these things are exciting to me ;)

I'm still waiting to hear back about the grass fed beef I'm hoping to get as well from a friend of the family farmer. 

I hit Costco up once a month to buy grass fed or conventional ground beef(depends on my budget), whole chickens, steaks, shrimp, fish, organic diced tomatoes, organic tomato sauce/paste, olive oil, coconut oil if needed, kerrygold butter for making ghee. I buy produce and eggs either from Costco, Publix or the farmers market on a weekly basis.

I am not able to get good meats here is AZ, I have read some people order online. Has anyone had any meats delivered, if so can you share the source.

US Wellness is one online source for meat.

Where are you in AZ?  This link may help you find food sources you didn't know existed.  http://www.localharvest.org/

Archived