My new Favorite Food-Pickled Veggies or Giardiniera

Lelia48

I'm on day 9 of my second Whole 30; going strong! I have developed a huge craving for pickled vegetables! I am making my own to avoid the citric acid found in bottled varieties. This is the best stuff, I put it in my salads along with fresh salmon or chicken and it gives it a crisp tang. You can make it as spicy or mild as you want. I put cauliflower, carrots and spicy peppers in mine. Let me know if you need a recipe, I would be glad to share mine. Sometimes I just eat it straight out of the jar.

Sure, the recipe I use is based on one by Rachael Ray:

Ingredients
  • 1/4 cup kosher salt
  • 1 small red sweet bell pepper or green cubanelle pepper, seeded, quartered and cut into slices
  • 2 small finger peppers, Fresno chili peppers or banana hot peppers
  • 2 cups cauliflower florets
  • 2 carrots, peeled and sliced 1/4-inch thick
  • 2-3 ribs celery with leafy tops, chopped pieces
  • 2 large cloves garlic whole
  • 1 teaspoon dried oregano or dried marjoram
  • 1 teaspoon celery seed
  • 3/4 cup white balsamic vinegar or white wine vinegar
  • 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
  • 1 cup Sicilian green olives, pitted and chopped

Preparation

Place the salt in a bowl, add the veggies, ending with the celery, and cover with cold water. Stir to combine. Cover and store for 2 days to brine. Make sure to rinse the veggies throughly after you brine.

After rinsing add the veggies to a large mason jar, add the garlic, olives, oregano, celery seed, vinegar and EVOO. The dressing should cover the vegetables. Keep jar in fridge. Should last 2 weeks at least.

Archived