Holly and Nico take on the AIP for 7 days

Today is day zero for me.  I will begin my AIP without coconut or avocado tomorrow.  I will also be cooking all of my foods.  I think Holly is going to be doing AIP without FODMAPs starting Monday.

I am a big fan of spices and peppers.  It is rare for me to go a day without NM chiles or some sort of nightshade spice.  I won't miss the seed spices all that much.  While much of my food prep is complete, I do hope to learn a bit about herbs.  I will miss eggs for their cost-effectiveness.  We picked up 6 dozen of them from two farms where we are CSA members, so I may be making some extra egg dishes for my hubby.

Tomorrow morning, I see a doctor I don't know to ask him/her to do a stool culture.  My regular doc is out on medical leave for a month.  We'll see how it goes.

I haven't used coconut since Tom Denham pointed out that the oil could be causing me trouble.  My belly felt like I had eaten a riverbed rock yesterday, but it seems a little slimmer today. 

Hmmm…should we do weigh-ins and photos tomorrow for just one week?  The real test will be eating and digesting without discomfort.

So, here's the starting menu.  This is more root veggies than I usually eat, so I will have to monitor that and my fruit to see how things go.

Already cooked:

Ground meat hash – lamb, mushroom, carrot, balsamic, salt, rosemary, oregano, garlic, mint, kalamata olives

Calledito with grassfed beef, rutabaga, parsnip, carrot, spinach, bone broth, salt, pepper (will need to eat olives for added fat)

Chicken cooking and veggies are prepped for:

Chicken zoodle soup – chicken thighs, celery, carrot, zucchini, salt, bone broth (will need olives)

Chicken and rice – mushroom, carrot, celery, cauliflower, salt, bone broth (will need olives)

I have parsnip and kale for one of these and may add ginger to one.

Applegate chicken apple sausages need to be chopped for hash with sweet potato, mushroom, kale.  Veggies are prepped.  Will probably need olive oil to cook it, as much as I'd prefer not to.

I'll probably continue drinking water with basil or mint and lime.  I also have some teas that I enjoy.  About to go have a cup of decaf with hazelnut milk.  It is a rare treat for me and the milk was already made so I think I will use it.

Thanks for stopping in, I appreciate your support!

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Day one has begun.  Here is my zoodle soup.  I added kale, jicama and ginger to the original plan and ate a few green olives.  On the side is a cup of jasmine tea.  I prefer this tea to be tepid, which is perfect since I am trying not to drink with meals and my current meal plan includes soups.

Let's hope it attaches.

post-15660-0-99278300-1374675962_thumb.j

I'm super impressed you found a sausage wo "spices". When I did the AIP I couldn't.

I didn't get a reply notification from you.  :(

Mine lists spices, but I checked with the website (where I got a coupon) and double-checked by calling.  The only spice is black pepper, which is not a nightshade, is it?

I realized yesterday how much easier this is for us with the updated shopping list.  Thanks for paving the way.

I have notifications set to come to e-mail when I get replies.  I came here to tell about the doctor and found your reply.  I didn't know you had come to visit.

You might be able to get the Applegate sausages.  They are a bit of a splurge and probably not the best meat sources, but they are yummy.  I also get their prosciutto.  Was happy to get the coupon!

Mid-morning sugar 128, but why?  Doctor's office weigh-in 127 – lower than here at home.  I would like to strive to keep my blood sugar below my weight.

Doctor ordered a pregnancy test.  Grrrr!  I don't need a pregnancy test and my chart will tell you why.  Spoke with office manager and will not be paying for the test that tells us that we are not expecting.

Blood urinalysis looks OK as far as I can tell.

The doctor reduced my Metformin and changed it to an ER.  This med is his biggest suspect for tummy troubles.  I don't mind tapering off of it (although what's up with the high sugar this morning?).  I'd prefer not to take it, although I doubt it is the cause of this problem since I have been on it for a couple of years.  Not impossible for it to be a culprit since it goes into my body and taking less is W30 progress.

He seemed to suspect heartburn and suggested an OTC medication as an option.  I want less medication, not more!  I went back and found a few bits that Johnny posted a while back.  If I don't experience any improvement this week, I'll look more deeply into topics of stomach acid.

He said he does not suspect infection, but agreed to a stool culture.  Got the kit with the collection basket and the vials.  Thank goodness my husband does not have coprophagia and the dogs can't open the fridge because some of it gets to be chilled.  Hmmm.  Maybe I can go with a cooler instead.  Not like food doesn't go there for our weekly picnic at the site of our new house, so I guess either way is about equal.  lol

When I return the stools, for culture, c. difficile toxin, and ova, and am fasting, I will have blood drawn for CBC with Diff, CMP, A1c, T4 free, and TSH.

Hello all!  I am the other half of this trial team :)  While I am not necessarily good about posting all my menus, I will be following the AIP, without FODMAPs, beginning Monday.  Now I should mention that I am planning to use coconut milk in my coffee and cook with coconut oil.  I've been doing both of these for months now, and neither seems to cause any stomach upset.  Coconut can cause problems for those sensitive to FODMAPs.

I will also be enjoying a bowl of chicken zoodle soup for supper tonight.  Hooray for bone broth and it's healing properties!

I have just recently become aware that I have a broken metabolism from years of low-calorie dieting and too much cardio.  I will be working on repairing my metabolism over the coming months by gradually increasing my daily intake.  I plan to follow the Whole30 template, but I will need to pay careful attention to my consumption so my body can find homeostasis once again.  It is my hope that all of these whole, real foods will help heal me from the inside-out.  My digestion issues are likely related to my metabolic damage, so I'm hoping eliminating offending foods TEMPORARILY will aid in my progress.  

Let the adventure begin!

Holly

Good luck, Nico!  Funny...I always get pissed when the doctor orders a pregnancy test for me when I'm having tummy issues.  I think, "look at my chart, dumbass!"  

Sorry I don't have an answer regarding your blood sugar.  That's one area in which I have very little knowledge :(  

"Look at my chart...always look at my chart."  Seriously.  How cool would it be to have someone who practices functional medicine?

Anyway, I'm not great at tracking meals either.  I don't usually eat everything the same, but this is going to be good for me.  The batch cooking made it easier to write out the ingredients and I think that will make it easier to log.  Melissa made the suggestion to log my meals as I look for relief, so I added it as part of my plan.

So, lunch was the lamb hash.  I thought it would be a better choice for my sugar.  We'll find that out in a few hours.  I added mushroom, zucchini, and asparagus with a splash of lime on top.  I took the photo and wasn't sure if I had enough food.  After, I went back and added more kale, zucchini, mushroom, asparagus, and a few cubes of sweet potato. I also had a small handful of grapes.

The cup has lime-basil water.

Breakfast may have been shy of something, because lunch came early today.

post-15660-0-77699500-1374693976_thumb.j

I just went to a produce sale and got all FODMAP-free and nightshade-free fruits and veggies.  Basically, roots and green beans  :)

Tomorrow I plan to make Italian sausage from Well Fed, but I'll eliminate the paprika and crushed red pepper.  I don't OFFICIALLY start AIP until Monday, but I'm getting a headstart.  I still have some non-AIP food in my fridge I'd like to use up since no one else in my household will eat it.  I absolutely hate wasting yummy food!

Awesome, Holly!  Then, you will have some back-ups when you start.  Bet posted a sausage recipe today that sounded interesting.  She puts ground pork (I need to source some) and sweet potato with herbs and makes patties that she freezes.  She has two in the morning and the sweet potatoes get crispy.  I talked to a farm who will have pork on Monday.

Way to go with the AIP and no FODMAP veggies.  Greens, roots, and squash.  Very challenging for my blood sugar, but I may just add more green beans as fillers and worry less about my sugars for a bit.  Even my high numbers are not that high.  I'm bummed that they were high today.  After dinner was 124.  It makes sense given what I ate, but my control was so much better when I filled up my plate thinking only about the template.  I have a lot to learn and there are so many variables.  I'll stick to AIP without coconut or avocado for a few more days.  Oh, and with the change in my diabetes meds, things could change, as well.

So, here is my end of day report.

Dinner was my paternal grandmother's hamburger soup.  She called it "calledito" and made it with hamburger and potato.  My mom makes it with hamburger, potato, carrot, and a packet of dried noodle soup.  I realized that bone broth has way more flavor than that silly packet and made this with grassfed ground beef, rutabaga, parsnip, carrot, and spinach.  I had Spanish olives for fat.  I was worried about my sugar with this meal, but also had a mango nectarine because I could.  Poor choices are still available on a restricted diet, right?  Tonight, I also drank four ounces of beet juice for the gastric acid test.

Belly report: My belly was slightly puffy this morning, although I was very full of soup.  This afternoon, I was puffed up enough to want to go to bed to rest my back.  Dinner brought on the evening puffiness and backache.  I've never been pregnant, but I think I understand the back pain now.  :( 

I spoke with my regular doc about the FODMAP trial many months ago.  We knew it could impact my sugars, but she wasn't worried then, and would probably be less worried now.  If the foods are making me sick...I need to figure that out.  So, I am thinking about this trial.  I don't know if it will only last 7 days for me.  I wonder if I should just pick the non-AIP (and maybe non-FODMAP) foods that are the most nutrient dense, and also carry me to my next meal, for now.  I can worry about sugars in a week or a little later.  My body seems to have some healing to do and I need to give it the fuel that it needs, right?  I may focus on greens and roots a little more in a few days.

Thanks for reading and for your support!  Good night!

post-15660-0-03009100-1374724767_thumb.j

Black pepper is allowed on AI, it's not the same pepper from the nightshade family, it's from a peppercorn. Which I guess is not a seed.

Your mash sounds interesting. I might try it without the garlic (maybe just a pinch of garlic salt...I'm avoiding garlic because it's a FODMAP) Coconut products don't bother me, thankfully.

I wonder if you've been tested for thyroid antibodies? I have Hashi's and it can screw with your blood sugar. My FBG runs fairly high (in the high 90s) even on a no grain no added sugar diet. I have to test it since being on W30.

I've been doing great on AI, except for a darn cold. But I feel less joint pain and am sleeping better.

So, first the updates.  I was starving last night, but wanted to get the blood sugar check in after dinner and then I wanted to give my body time to rest from eating.  I was even more puffy by bedtime.  I just took a photo of my post breakfast belly to compare to my nighttime belly (if it isn't any better).  My head was spinning with ideas about FODMAPS and acid and nightshades by the end of the day.  I need to simplify this to the point that it is easy and then complicate little by little.  Or do I need to learn more???

So, breakfast today was chicken apple sausage.  Sadly cooked it in olive oil.  I had a slice of prosciutto while breakfast cooked to get it in on time and because I was seriously hungry.  I didn't know if the olive oil would cut it as fat and I am not afraid of fat, so I added some kalamata olives.  Also brewed up a cup of Zen green tea.  A wish for today perhaps?

post-15660-0-58783800-1374761287_thumb.j

Bet, thanks for the clarification on pepper.  I thought I had read it before, but day clarification on day one is a good deal.  Maybe a little extra black pepper in the place of my crushed red pepper would be good for my little breakfast I just had.  I just bought mixed peppercorns.  Maybe I should grab some plain black ones for at least the next week.

I am sorry about your cold; I have been having tons of sinus trouble lately which alarms me (as I hear a guy mowing outside) since I have been off of dairy for so long.  This is a different climate than my body was used to and puppies need walking at hours when pollen counts are high so it's not too shocking.

Part of what I have loved about W30 has been the ease of controlling my diabetes.  By eating 3 times a day (wow!) and following the template, my sugars easily fell into normal range.  No counting and no deprivation.  Very happy times.  Yesterday morning made no sense.  Maybe it was a stress response or something not food related.  It only starts with food and it becomes easy to develop tunnel vision around the food.  The evening number was more consistent with a meal that was high in starches.

I just had a thyroid panel last month.  The doctor I saw yesterday ordered one, too.  (Did I lest that above?)  I have had one about once or twice a year since I was 25 and all of them have been in normal range.  I refused to pay for the pregnancy test, given that I don't have the capacity to carry a child, but I think I will let him test me again since these tests seem less reliable.  Given that all previous thyroid tests have been normal (with no access to non-traditional Western docs) I don't think I have had antibodies tested.  Any chance you can help me learn more?

Are you keeping a log?  I'd love to tap into the wealth of info that you have.

So, my diabetes control improved, my anxiety improved, I lost weight after my doctor told me I couldn't (with weight loss being important for the next 50 years of my life with diabetes), I got to eat big plates of food and not feel hungry....I love this lifestyle and get very confused when I try to navigate the SAD world again.  But, I became ill about 15 days in and then this puffy belly problem started.  Lots of recommendations from here and from a doctor and I'm not seeing any improvement.

Oh, no fasting blood tests today because I have no samples to give yet.  And, my pee was a little pink last night.  I think hubbies was, too.  We both hydrate really well, but he said it was a normal orange-ish color.  Well see when we try again today.

Post breakfast blood glucose level was 112.  Better than yesterday.

Ended up ravenous again so I had a snack of my lamb hash without extra veggies.

Lunch was the same as last night's dinner.  I tried to top it off a little more.  Also had a few grapes and a few bites of melon.

Aah, Summer...

I haven't been keeping a log, I should have. I've always tested borderline normal/low for thyroid, going back years. But it was never treated. I only found out I had antibodies when my gyno (who is also a fertility endocrinologist) found it. It really came out with my peri menopause. I had lots of issues back then. Both my mother and sister have hashis and my brother was hyper and had to have his irradiated.

The good news for me is that today I wore my size 10 jeans. I had been almost busting out of a size 12. But I fit into these comfortably with minimal spill over :rolleyes: . I used to be a size 6, so I have a ways to go. But loosing belly fat was one of my goals.

And I love the eating 3 times a day. I feel so much better and don't have to think about 'what will I eat if I get hungry before/after lunch/dinner. I don't. In fact, I am the hungriest I think in the AM and can eat a huge breakfast now. I am hoping my BS gets lower.

Ahh, I missed the beet juice. Beets are a FODMAP. Eating beets doesn't bother me, but drinking the juice could have caused some bloating.

Stress can do crazy things. I was really stressed about my job yesterday and today I woke up and my elbow was very sore. The pain had gone from it after about 5 days on W30. It's better now. I think I tend to tense up when I'm under stress and it messes with me.

Hey Bet, I am happy to hear that you are experiencing so many positives.  I, too, fit in my size 10s now.  I was a 2 just a few years back, but a 6 would be a good goal given my current lifestyle.

As for the beet juice, it definitely isn't something I would normally consume.   The beet juice is for a three-day gastric acid test and I'd like to get it done now as I'm not FODMAP free right now.  I decided to give it a go with cooked veggies until Holly starts.  At that point, I may completely eliminate high FODMAP foods (is celeriac one of them?).  I'm not sure if this is a FODMAP issue and am holding out hope for Tom's theory of the coconut oil…which I miss more than just about anything right now.  I am sort of weaning myself off of FODMAPs and I think that has left me a little out of balance.  That and the fact that I am having soups because I find them just as flavorful as the things I normally season with nightshades.

Here's the end of day 2:

Dinner: Chicken with rice made from chicken thighs, bone broth, carrot, parsnip, celery, mushroom, jicama, cauliflower, ginger, olives, beet juice

I was starving long before dinner and a little hungry right now.  I didn't eat just the bowl in the picture as my full serving didn't fit in the bowl and the olives are not shown.  I can't tell if I am missing fat, veg, or protein.  I am guessing it could be all three.  No eggs, no coconut, and overall veggie confusion.  Today felt more like a first Whole30 Day 4.  Yikes!  (Could this be an existential hunger?  I'll go with a general need for more fuel for a number of reasons.)

Good news is that I'm not too puffy tonight.  Also, I don't think the doctor's theory about heartburn is very accurate as my pee is pink.  Wanna see?  Best news is that my sugars are coming down.  After lunch was 103 and after dinner was 106.  That's more like it!  This evening I began the new ER, lower dose of Metformin.  Things could get interesting.

I also miss some of my OTC meds.  The doc has advised to take them and would probably prescribe them if they weren't OTC, but I wanted to try to go without them.  I did take a Tylenol today and will likely take Mucinex as my stuffiness has been trying to settle into my left ear and I'd rather not take antibiotics right now.

I just packed food for tomorrow.  I'll heat it and put it in a cooler in the morning.  I'm off to the farm where we have been getting lamb, chicken, and eggs for chicken processing.  I think the change of pace will be perfect.

post-15660-0-30619700-1374813195_thumb.j

I had to take sudafed PE for my cold. I also took the nightime pill which helped. I did not take Nyquil as that has alcohol in it. I have taken tylenol a few times for  headaches.

Do you think you are getting enough fat? How many olives are you eating?

Bet, thanks for the clarification on pepper.  I thought I had read it before, but day clarification on day one is a good deal.  Maybe a little extra black pepper in the place of my crushed red pepper would be good for my little breakfast I just had.  I just bought mixed peppercorns.  Maybe I should grab some plain black ones for at least the next week.

I am sorry about your cold; I have been having tons of sinus trouble lately which alarms me (as I hear a guy mowing outside) since I have been off of dairy for so long.  This is a different climate than my body was used to and puppies need walking at hours when pollen counts are high so it's not too shocking.

Part of what I have loved about W30 has been the ease of controlling my diabetes.  By eating 3 times a day (wow!) and following the template, my sugars easily fell into normal range.  No counting and no deprivation.  Very happy times.  Yesterday morning made no sense.  Maybe it was a stress response or something not food related.  It only starts with food and it becomes easy to develop tunnel vision around the food.  The evening number was more consistent with a meal that was high in starches.

I just had a thyroid panel last month.  The doctor I saw yesterday ordered one, too.  (Did I lest that above?)  I have had one about once or twice a year since I was 25 and all of them have been in normal range.  I refused to pay for the pregnancy test, given that I don't have the capacity to carry a child, but I think I will let him test me again since these tests seem less reliable.  Given that all previous thyroid tests have been normal (with no access to non-traditional Western docs) I don't think I have had antibodies tested.  Any chance you can help me learn more?

Are you keeping a log?  I'd love to tap into the wealth of info that you have.

So, my diabetes control improved, my anxiety improved, I lost weight after my doctor told me I couldn't (with weight loss being important for the next 50 years of my life with diabetes), I got to eat big plates of food and not feel hungry....I love this lifestyle and get very confused when I try to navigate the SAD world again.  But, I became ill about 15 days in and then this puffy belly problem started.  Lots of recommendations from here and from a doctor and I'm not seeing any improvement.

Oh, no fasting blood tests today because I have no samples to give yet.  And, my pee was a little pink last night.  I think hubbies was, too.  We both hydrate really well, but he said it was a normal orange-ish color.  Well see when we try again today.

Why would your pee be pink?  Is this a diabetes thing?  :huh:

I had FODMAPs with breakfast this morning (broccoli and cauliflower), only because that's all that was available.  I wasn't at home.  Heartburn and belly gurgling all day so far  :angry:  

So, the doctor I saw a few days ago want to change my medication and add an antacid.  He thought I might have heartburn and not know it.  A while back, I saw a post about gastritis, maybe.  Moderator Johnny  posted a self-test for gastric acid because some people who end up on antacids actually have low stomach acid.  I don't entirely understand it yet.  It said to drink 4 oz a day for three days and watch the color.  The stomach should be able to process the red.  Some people actually pee red, I guess.  I don't yet know what pink means and have only done 2 days.  I'm thinking pink definitely means no need for an antacid and maybe a need for enzyme supplementation.

I am sorry the broccoli and cauliflower got to you.  So hard to have food that hurts in the fridge and nothing else.  My cauli rice didn't cause any immediate trouble.  I do hear a lot about those two and cabbage being culprits for so many people.  I hope your weekend is designed to be a relaxing one and I look forward to hearing from you come Monday.

Yes, most people with Gastric Reflux and heartburn don't have enough stomach acid. Therefore the food in their stomach can't be digested properly. The acid breaks down protein first and once that is done it signals the pancreas to release enzymes. So if that doesn't happen, the food sits in your stomach way to long and forms gas which comes up and sometimes brings some of the contents up into the esophagus or worse (in my case right up and out of my mouth and nose, yuck!!!). So acid reducers, while making you feel better, don't fix the problem, in fact they make it worse. A stomach that is alkaline is bad for you and can harbor bacteria that is normally killed off by stomach acid. That's why I take HCL, which is a tablet form of stomach acid. Take it with meals, especially protein.

So, I don't actually think I have heartburn, but it was one of the doctor's theories.  I try to follow their orders, but now I, sort of, have back-up for not buying Prevacid.  Ick.  I did break down and take Mucinex again.

Today was a big day because I was helping process chickens at a farm in a nearby town.  She helps people process chickens and the guy who brought his today gave me a $20 bird for helping.  It was my first day and I have to say that I found it to be very peaceful and nowhere near as icky as I might have expected.  It was pretty wet and gross, but worth it to know where my dinner came from.

With that:

Meal one was lamb hash with added asparagus and a drizzle of olive oil to give me more FAT!

Good news: I was on my feet all morning and not hungry until 2pm!

Meal two was hamburger soup with olive oil and a little extra sweet potato, chicken with rice, and an actual fruit serving of melon and grapes.

Meal three was farm fresh chicken with chicken gravy, butternut squash and sweet potato purée, and green beans with bacon.  Also had my last dose of beet juice.

Bet, I'd love more info on the HCL that you take.  I think it is the two enzyme products I tried, but I never noticed a change with them.

Puffy belly report: no news in the morning, started to puff after lunch, puffed much worse after Natural Calm, and still very puffy after dinner.

I'm not sure what to expect with this.  I don't know if I will have a period of healing before I know if specific foods are problematic.  I still haven't decided about the full FODMAP with AIP, cooked, no coconut, and no avocado plan.  I can if I need to, and I'd love meal tips from anyone who has been there.  I have no blood sugar reports from today because I couldn't have kept my supplies clean and cool.  Of course, I could have if my diabetes weren't under control, but I didn't have to so I took the day off.

Like my partner, I tend to ruminate (overthink).  Maybe some yoga will do us both some good.

post-15660-0-74166600-1374899671_thumb.j

Archived