I have a theory...am I onto something???

So I've posted before because I am struggling to lose stubborn belly fat and I gain whenever I attempt a Whole30.  I have been "living in the red," so to speak, for about 5 years now...restricting calories to about 1500 a day while working out 5-6 days a week.  

Since I went Paleo about 8 months ago, I have gained 6 pounds.  Each time I stop restricting and follow the Whole30 template, my clothes no longer fit after about 7-10 days.  I weigh myself, see I've gained two pounds, give up, and start tracking calories again.  What gets me is that supposedly it takes around 3300 calories to gain ONE pound and I am eating no where near that many extra calories in a week, let alone DOUBLE that.  

I 100% believe in the Paleo lifestyle.  It all makes sense to me and I do not want to go back to restricting, counting, weighing, and measuring.  But...I worked my ass off to lose 60 pounds back in 2009/2010 and I am SCARED TO DEATH to gain it all back..  I'm up a total of 10 pounds in the last year and it makes me want to cry.  

SO, here's my theory....

My metabolism is shot!!!  After years of restricting calories, my metabolism has slowed to the point that ANY increase in calories, even from Whole30-approved foods, makes me gain.  I am by no means underweight and I have been gradually climbing toward the overweight range again.  This is unacceptable to me, as I come from a VERY obese family with a laundry list of medical issues.

Here's my question....

Do I increase my calories, SLOWLY and GRADUALLY?  Adding perhaps 100 per week?  Or do I go all in, gain 10 pounds in 30 days, and hope it eventually comes back off.  I'm sure you can imagine which way I'm leaning :)  

I am getting adequate sleep, drinking tons of water, taking a probiotic and fish oil, strength-training 4 times a week, limiting nuts and fruit, and watching my carb intake.  What else can I do to ramp up my metabolism so it's back to normal?

Is there anyone out there (nutritionist, personal trainer, dietitian) who can shed some light on this for me?  How do I REPAIR my metabolism if that is, indeed, my problem?

Thank you in advance for your help :)

Holly 

Yes, your metabolism is probably shot. It sounds like you haven't given the Whole30 a real shot. I totally understand why, but you can't fix 15 years of calorie restriction in 7-10 days. I understand your fear. I've lost about 80lbs from my heaviest, and gaining that back is always in the back of my head. 

Let me tell you something, though. You are NOT going to gain 60lbs or even 20lbs in 30 days from the W30. If you're following the template, it's just not going to happen. I think you need to let go of the scale and the fear for 30 days, do the program. Follow the program. It's going to take at least a month for you body to adjust. Don't do this for the weight loss, do this for your health. If you're not happy where you are in 30 days, you know how to get back to where you need to be; you've done it before.

I would imagine the fear is working against you too. I you start a W30 thinking "don'tgainweightdon'tgainweightOMGihopeidon'tgainweight" that added stress could help you do just that. Is there anything you could do for your next W30 attempt that would help you relax and focus on something OTHER than the possibility that you might gain weight? I know that's hard.

Yes it sounds to me like stress (from restricting combined with overtraining and the fear of gaining) is actually working against you.

I'm no expert but my advice would be to go at the Whole30 whole-heartedly and stop worrying because I think it could be real effective in solving your problems if you do it as intended.

For me I feel like the program has regulated my hormones, mood, sleep, and decreased stress exceedingly which has helped put me in optimum health which is the ideal starting point for anyone to achieve their goals (whether it be weight loss, improved athletic ability, fertility, or any other varying reason one might choose to do a Whole30).

I think you have to change your mindset that you might be "undoing" what you have achieved so far from your old ways. If it's not maintainable than it's not really working.

I think if you don't surrender yourself to the program you definitely are going to cheat yourself of the rewards of the full experience. I know its hard to give up that kind of control for people that are used to counting, weighing, etc.

I think doing the Whole30 itself is a means of repairing your metabolism because of its ability to regulate hormones and improve sleep.

Has anyone here tried the "Fast Metabolism Diet?"  It's supposed to repair a damaged metabolism by cycling what types of foods you eat for 28 days.  I was wondering if I should start there and then move onto the Whole30....or just start with a TRUE Whole30.

You're all correct...the fear of "undoing" what I've accomplished runs DEEP within me.  It's been holding me back for sure.  As someone who lost weight by restricting and exercising like a lunatic, it's hard to fully buy into the concept of eating more and exercising less.  I WANT to believe it, but something inside me keeps saying, "but you'll gain it all back!"  I'm actually tearing up just writing this.  It's a control issue...like I'm giving up control over my portions, food choices, etc.

Anyway, thank you everyone!

Also you said each time after 7-10 days you give up and weigh yourself and then start counting and restricting. That there. Your jumping the gun every time... try following through and see what really happens at the end of 30 days. At day 7 or 10 you're really close to the starting point, so its a bit premature to decide its not working.

You have to give it more time. It's not going to happen in 7 days or maybe even 30. This is a lifetime change, not a quick weight loss program. Forget about how much you weigh or how your clothes fit. Concentrate on getting healthier and resetting your metabolism and the rest will come. Instant gratification is how we got this way to begin with, you can't  go down that path again.

I would imagine the fear is working against you too. I you start a W30 thinking "don'tgainweightdon'tgainweightOMGihopeidon'tgainweight" that added stress could help you do just that. Is there anything you could do for your next W30 attempt that would help you relax and focus on something OTHER than the possibility that you might gain weight? I know that's hard.

JJB, your post made me smile because that's EXACTLY what goes on in my head.  What I'm finding from research is I should be adding calories slowly and deliberately, building back up to repair my metabolism.  Could take months or even years.  

To anyone else dealing with this problem, please read this article:

http://www.metaboliceffect.com/metabolic-damage/

I was nodding my head in agreement through the entire thing.  Thank you also, amberino21, for your message.  I learned A LOT!  

Basically I need to increase my calories slowly by about 5-10% per week.  This will take months (or perhaps a year), but I finally have an answer so I am (sort of) okay with that.  I need to heal my body from the inside.  I am certain Whole30 will help me accomplish this!  While we are not supposed to track calories during a W30, I need to be very careful with this protocol.  This will be a gradual process.

I am also supposed to exercise less.  Right now I do 30 minutes of interval training with weights and high intensity intervals, 4 times per week. I also sprint or do high intensity cardio once a week.  Is this too much?  Am I over-training???

I plan to return to yoga in September.  I used to be an instructor and I miss it greatly.

I've learned a lot today!  Thank you for your compassion and help :)

I think you're definitely onto something and your theory is extremely plausible.

I suggest you look into Matt Stone's stuff: http://180degreehealth.com/. he's definitely not Paleo and sometimes gets way off-base, but his basic message is "dieting will wreck your metabolism; here's how to fix it" and he gives some solid suggestions...just use some common sense and be willing to sift through some nonsense to get the good stuff. Among his suggestions, off the top of my head:

-get enough salt (important for thyroid health; the thyroid controls your hormones and helps regulate metabolism)

-get enough carbs (also thyroid health, especially for women...adequate carbs will also help kick your body out of "starvation mode"). Especially since you mention you're doing high-intensity cardio.

-get enough sleep, relaxation, etc. Don't kill yourself doing HIIT or crazy long-distance cardio. Stress is like kryptonite for your health. So the yoga would be A+ from his point of view, I think :)

-get off crazy stimulants (6 cups of coffee/day, etc.) because they aren't doing you any favors.

As everyone else has mentioned, it's also important to give it time, which I realize is the scariest part of the whole endeavor. Also, a few random tips on increasing calories less painfully from personal experience:

-get enough fiber, and take care to keep your bowels regular. Constipation = bloating = "omgomg I'm so fat and disgusting starting now I'm going on a 1,200 calorie diet and running 10 miles a day!!!!!" when really it's all just the bloat/swelling and not fat at all.

-Make sure to get plenty of really nutrient-dense foods because if your metabolism is in trouble your body can probably use all the help healing itself that it can get.

-I wouldn't say you're necessarily overtraining in an absolute sense, but you might be overtraining for your body at this moment. I like the sound of the yoga; maybe you could also switch to a standing desk or replace one of those interval sessions with a long walk? That would keep your body active and your metabolic rate up without being quite so intense. I have a standing desk and I love it; it gives me so much more energy to stand while I work.

Also, a random thing: it's easy to get caught up in the "omg metabolism-boosting superfood" stuff: don't believe it. It's 90% nonsense and the stuff that does work (e.g. ephedra) is dangerous.

get enough fiber, and take care to keep your bowels regular. Constipation = bloating = "omgomg I'm so fat and disgusting starting now I'm going on a 1,200 calorie diet and running 10 miles a day!!!!!" when really it's all just the bloat/swelling and not fat at all.

You cracked me up!  That's exactly how I feel most days due to chronic constipation.  I have to take magnesium every night, and sometimes a vegetable laxative, or I get very bound up.  

What you've said makes total sense and I'll look up Matt Stone.  Wish I could get a standing desk, but I'm just beginning a new job and I don't think they'll appreciate me remodeling right off the bat  ;)

If you are having chronic constipation I would say eat less fiber, not more. It's bulking and if things aren't moving swiftly enough along that's creating a big (and potentially toxic) problem. Chris Kresser has a great article on too much fibrous veggies in the diet (easy to google, I promise)

5-6 days "working out" which I take as 5-6 days of resistance training with chronic cardio is too much, plus you're not eating enough. (protein i would gander)  Starvation mode, with high cortisol and inflammation and so on

If you are having chronic constipation I would say eat less fiber, not more. It's bulking and if things aren't moving swiftly enough along that's creating a big (and potentially toxic) problem. Chris Kresser has a great article on too much fibrous veggies in the diet (easy to google, I promise)

Moluv - good point! Way to catch me typing without thinking ;)

holly1234 - Actually on that note, have you looked into FODMAPs? Constipation is so hard to troubleshoot; I feel your pain :( It might just be a symptom of your metabolic problems but if you do a search on the forums you'll proably find some good suggestions for at least alleviating the symptoms until you can get your metabolism straightened out.

One more recommendation: listen to the most recent podcast from Jason Seib and Sarah Fragaso. It addresses a question from someone who has almost the same issue as you. I don't know how to copy the web address on my kindle but just go to eplifefit.com and click on podcasts. Hope this helps!

One more recommendation: listen to the most recent podcast from Jason Seib and Sarah Fragaso. It addresses a question from someone who has almost the same issue as you. I don't know how to copy the web address on my kindle but just go to eplifefit.com and click on podcasts. Hope this helps!

Thank you!  I will certainly check that out.  I eliminated FODMAPs this week and I am planning to eliminate nightshades as well, at least for a while to see if it helps.  My digestion is a whole other issue!  I am certain it is partially do to my metabolic damage, but I was also diagnosed with IBS years ago.  I went from chronic diarrhea to chronic constipation as soon as I lost all the weight.  

I also have IBS and went from chronic D to C after eliminating FODMAPS (including all grains). Thanks to Chris Kresser (we should nominate him for the Nobel Prize) I started on Magnesium Glycinate and probiotics and it was solved in 2 days. It did kick in again when I started W30, more food, more veggies, more bulk, so I took double doses of the Magnesium for a few days and now things are fine.

When I first started W30, I couldn't eat enough food. Because of previous issues, my stomach had shrunk and it was hard for me to eat that much food in one sitting. I was stretching out meals for over an hour. But eventually I got the hang of it. Now I'm hungry when it's time to eat and I can eat the whole meal.

Go by what your body tells you, if you are hungry eat. Don't stress about calories or being fat.

I panic.  My clothes fit tighter and I KNOW I've gained weight, so I panic and quit. I figure if I stick with it another 10 days, I'll be up 4 pounds, and then 6 pounds.  Fear sets in...and I give up.

the psychological stress of it can be a contributer to it as well creating a snow ball effect.  This goes along with inadequate rest, over worked CNS, sleeping messed up as well?   

I actually sleep fine except for having to get up and pee once a night  ;)

I have a program by Jillian Michaels called Body Revolution.  It uses interval training with added weights and high intensity intervals.  Each lasts 30 minutes and I am drenched in sweat by the end.  There are 3 phases and you begin a new set of workouts every two weeks to up the intensity.  I finished all 3 phases last month, so now I rotate between the videos from the final phase because those are the most intense.  I do these 4-5 times per week.  Here's an example of a circuit:  30 seconds push-up jacks, 30 seconds plank flies where you hold plank with one arm and lift a 5 lb weight up and down with the other, 30 seconds full squats with heel raise, 30 seconds plank flies other arm, 1 minute squat jacks for cardio interval.  Then repeat.  There are 4 circuits in each video and you do each circuit twice.  There's a lot of mountain climbers, weighted burpees, etc.  

I do sprints for 25-30 minutes once on the weekends where I walk until I hit a hill, then sprint up the hill as fast as I can, then walk and so on.  I also try to go for walks and bike rides with my kids as much as possible.  Sometimes I go on the elliptical for 30-45 minutes if I need something easier. 

When I first started W30, I couldn't eat enough food. Because of previous issues, my stomach had shrunk and it was hard for me to eat that much food in one sitting. I was stretching out meals for over an hour. But eventually I got the hang of it. Now I'm hungry when it's time to eat and I can eat the whole meal.

Go by what your body tells you, if you are hungry eat. Don't stress about calories or being fat.

I have the opposite problem I think.  I tend to OVER-eat.  I have been working very hard on listening to my body and stopping when I am full.  A big issue is I eat too damn fast!

peeing in the middle of the night can be a sign of too much volume.  I'd also suggest skipping the elliptical unless you enjoy your time on it, it's probably having a negative effect on your workouts or at the very least using time your could be doing something else more fulfilling.  

be careful with Jillian's kettlebell swings:  http://joshsgarage.typepad.com/articles/2010/02/jillian-micheals-new-kettlebell-swing-super-fail.html - I am not a kettlebell master but I've taken classes on it, that is a dangerous position right there.  Not knocking Jillian, getting people moving, is getting people moving but that is not a kettlebell swing movement you want to be doing.

The magic of exercise happens when you're not exercising, so doing more doesn't mean it's better for you.  I do 3 heavy intense workouts per week.  About 55 mins at the gym, 40 mins of work.  SOMETIMES, i will add 10 mins of hill sprints, 90%+ max heart rate.  And then just normal walking as much as possible, etc... with 1 week, every 4-6 weeks, off or I pull WAY back on the weight and volume, that's really done it for me. 

The magic of exercise happens when you're not exercising, so doing more doesn't mean it's better for you.  I do 3 heavy intense workouts per week.  About 55 mins at the gym, 40 mins of work.  SOMETIMES, i will add 10 mins of hill sprints, 90%+ max heart rate.  And then just normal walking as much as possible, etc... with 1 week, every 4-6 weeks, off or I pull WAY back on the weight and volume, that's really done it for me. 

That makes a lot of sense, Chris.  I like the idea of taking a break every once in a while!  If I add yoga for an hour, twice a week, how would you suggest I fit that into my regimen?  Should I do the HIIT twice a week and the yoga twice a week?  Maybe sprints once in a while?  I have a very hard time knowing when it's too much.

That makes a lot of sense, Chris.  I like the idea of taking a break every once in a while!  If I add yoga for an hour, twice a week, how would you suggest I fit that into my regimen?  Should I do the HIIT twice a week and the yoga twice a week?  Maybe sprints once in a while?  I have a very hard time knowing when it's too much.

A couple questions, why are you trying to add MORE? :)  

When you say HIIT are you referring to the workout videos you're following?  Is your primary goal fat loss?  If both of those answers are Yes, I would say do the sprints right before your HIIT workout.*  Unless the videos give explicit rules on how many time per week to do it, i would say do it 3 times per week with a 2 day off period in there.   I don't know which type of yoga you're considering doing but i would sprinkle that in the 4 open days you have.  Again, if it's strenuous it's going to be counter productive.  

I would consider a progressive resistence program when you finish with your HIIT program.  This is one I would suggest following: http://www.amazon.com/The-Rules-Lifting-Supercharged-Muscle-Building/dp/1583334653  This will kick your ass, have you gain strength and it can be done at home (with some equipment) or at the gym.  You need to continually adapt to new weights/new rep schemes, etc... 

Above all this you need OFF DAYS or the good things won't happen.

protein every meal, save most of your carbs for after your workouts, in the evening....  this is just my opinion.

Archived