Allergic to Almonds...

amyle12

My husband and I successfully finished our first Whole 30 back in June.  It was really great and we felt it wasn't that hard for us since we are both big meat eaters.  We took a few weeks to do reintroduction and then ate what we wanted on vacation and now we're moving back to a "paleo" lifestyle.  My husband noticed ever since we started Whole 30 that he's been getting these rashes.  At first we thought it was poison ivy because he got the first rash right after we were out in the woods at a picnic, but after it went away with treatment, it came back several times.  He went to the allergist yesterday and found out he is allergic to almonds.  it just so happens we've been using almond flour and almond butter in a few recipes!

I've done a few searches, but haven't come up with any good answers.  What can I use to replace almond flour in recipes like meatloaf or meatballs that use it as a bonding agent or for "breading" and things like that?  I hate coconut, so I wouldn't want to use coconut flour if it has any taste of coconut at all.  I really don't want to give up these great new recipes I've found.  Any suggestions?

They tested him for a few different nuts (walnuts, pecans, pistachios) and almonds were the only thing that came back as a positive.  Would any nut flour/meal work the same as almond flour?  Also - I have only a mini food processor and I don't know that it would grind up nuts.  Do I need a large high powered food processor for something like nuts?

You can use egg whites as a binder, but I haven't been using anything in my meatballs or burgers for awhile now.  Both the turkey & pork meatballs and burgers I've made have held up just fine.  Beef didn't work quite as well, but it wasn't disastrous either.

I think ground flax meal works as a binder, but try out a small batch first to make sure. I do love coconut, but I don't notice a strong coconut flavor to coconut flour, in case you wanted to try that too. Bummer your hubby is allergic- almonds are yummy. Unfortunately I overdid it snacking on them during my Whole30, and now they wreak havoc on my stomach. So no more almonds for me for a while :(

Archived