Dusting myself off & starting afresh 25 July...

Roz Griffiths

Fell off the wagon & into a batch of homemade cacao macadamia nut butter fudge today. And homemade carrot cake. And some Tesco's gf cookies. Sigh  :wacko: I don't do things by halves.

I did a Whole30 back in January, successfully, although i did snack quite a lot, mainly on nuts & parma ham.

Did another Whole30 in June, which was going swimmingly until about day 27 when i had a probably-non-compliant sausage when out for a meal, & felt a bit rough afterwards. I decided to add more days on, as the prospect of a "restart" would have given my brain permission for some "days off"  :rolleyes:

So, i've been carrying on nicely, until the last couple of days when i've been really hankering after a biscuit! I must admit i'm pretty disappointed that i can STILL get huge cravings after basically 40-odd days of clean eating, plus naturally i'm disappointed in myself for actually caving in, although i did enjoy the baking part (!). Maybe i should open a cake shop & bake for other people  :D

So here we are. As of now (nearly 5pm), i'm back to a Whole30 way of eating. I know it makes sense! 

at least you had your biscuit :P

don't beat yourself up - like you said, you've had practically 40 days of clean eating besides the meal out that may or may not have been compliant!

I know exactly what you  mean about enjoying baking. I used to do a lot of baking - there was a time i'd eat most of it myself. then I managed to only have a bit then begrudgingly give the rest away as "I didn't want it". I did really want it. then I got to a point where I baked for the pleasure of baking and gave it away happily  :) now I can't bring myself to bake a lot of that stuff any more as I usually don't want it, and know other people don't need it! I make "better" things now, but a lot less frequently...

At least i've been turned off biscuits, more like :-P

Went to bed feeling like i had a brick travelling through my guts & couldn't sleep - tired & wired - then when i did drift off it was poor quality. None of that whole30-anaesthaesia style sleep! I'm so tired & not a little depressed... That'll teach me, eh? Hitting the fermented veggies & bone broth today & being NICE to myself! :-)

well - turned off as well. but after saying you've been wanting one for a couple of days, it's probably a good thing that you had some and realised you didn't like them (or how they made you feel) that much! it'll make saying no so much easier next time :)

Roz, you're doing exactly the right thing being nice to yourself. Seriously look at all you've accomplished and all you've learned, you're doing great. I personally believe that, in the grand scheme of things, falling off the wagon is not the be-all and end-all. It's what we do afterwards that really counts. Do we say stuff it and use it as an excuse to dive head first into a veritable swimming pool of non-compliant so-called food or, like you do we crack out the fermented veggies and bone broth and really nourish ourselves. Well done and good luck.

Aw, thanks everyone  :wub:

My day of being good to myself didn't go exactly to plan however, despite a tasty compliant breakfast & an equally yummy lunch, i decided to accompany my post-lunch healing mug of chicken broth with a piece of carrot cake. Which led to another. And another. Then a nap. Then some chocolate. Grr  :angry: BUT tomorrow is another day, i've done what i should have done yesterday which is throw the remainder of the carrot cake into the bin, i've got some Moroccan lamb stew & cauliflower rice for my dinner & i'll probably go to bed with the last bit of bone juice  ;) I've pulled myself out of this before & i can do it again!

MUCH better day today!! I slept well & have eaten well all day -

Breakfast - meatloaf, spring greens & yellow pepper, bbq sauce & sauerkraut

Lunch - lamb mince, yellow pepper, courgette noodles, pineapple, coconut milk, Thai green paste & cashews

Dinner - spiced pork, cumin roast butternut squash & kale

Spent the morning cooking rogan josh & a lamb stew for later in the week, the afternoon in the park with the kids & I'm off to hang from the rings/hit stuff with a sledgehammer aka bootcamp this evening. Raring to go!! :-)

A good day today, with scattered tiger blood  ;) I slept pretty well, which is always a bonus!

Breakfast - lamb mince, spicy roasted squash & coconut milk, with some sauerkraut

Lunch - lamb stew, samphire & sweet potato noodles, with gingered carrots. A few cherries after

Snack - stick of celery with macadamia nut butter

Dinner - larb gai with Thai cucumber salad & spiced sweet potatoes.

Seriously topped up the vitamin D levels spending the afternoon in the park with a friend, watching our kids ride their bikes & shout at a horse. Watching exercise counts too doesn't it?  :ph34r:

Feeling as rough as a badger's arse at the moment...  :blink:

Breakfast - last night's leftovers - larb gai, thai cucumber salad & sweet potatoes

Lunch (at the in-laws) - assorted salad leaves, a biggish piece of salmon, few small bits of cold chicken breast & a slice of ham. Three chunks of watermelon after. Felt fine at the time, but as the afternoon's worn on i've been feeling queasier & queasier  :( I'm thinking possibly the salmon, as it had what i thought was herbs on it, but was probably herb butter, which knowing my MIL would have been herb - i-can't-believe-it's-not-butter-extra-low-fat-grease-in-a-tub. Or maybe there was something on the chicken. Or it could just be a crash from the watermelon. But i feel greased, & my innards feel like a washing machine. Grrr  :angry:

Dinner (at home, & i WILL make it & eat it anyway, because it'll probably make me feel better!) - chicken with onions & bacon, probably with roasted kohlrabi & carrots (might chuck a date or two in there too) & some kale or spring greens. And a big pile of something fermented!

Speaking of fermenting stuff, if anyone out there's thinking of having a go at making the Latin-American sauerkraut from "Nourishing Traditions" using homemade pineapple vinegar - when it says "leave at least an inch of space in the top of the jar", it really means it. My kitchen is hissing  :) (and smells faintly of pineapples)

So, today started well then went downhill. Woke feeling well rested & pretty awesome - 

Breakfast - beef mince, leftover candied kohlrabi & carrots, sauerkraut

Lunch - sweet potato, a chicken thigh, crispy bacon & sauerkraut

^ hmm, looking back i'm thinking that having starchy veg + dates with breakfast, followed by a big ol' starchy sweet potato at lunch was possibly a factor in what happened next...

Snack - not because i was particularly hungry, but because it looked nice - a big piece of homemade (not by me) chocolate brownie. I took the kids to soft play, & they have homemade cakes on the counter, staring you down as you order a cup of camomile tea. Obviously i then went back for a second cup of tea & another giant brownie. And then had to stop on the way home to buy a big bar of fruit & nut chocolate  :angry: Bleurgh. 

Dinner (on its way) - rogan josh & cauliflower rice, might throw on some gingered carrots too.

Tomorrow Is Another Day!

I've been very guilty of feeding a grumpy tummy. Every time my stomach feels a bit off, i presume hunger. Probably today i was still feeling a bit off after yesterday & "assumed" a big lump of cake was the solution. I will type this out 100 times* if i have to, just so i don't make the same mistake tomorrow!!  ;)

*but not on here, cos that would be very dull  :rolleyes:

Reasonable day today :-)

Breakfast - mince, spicy squash & kale, sauerkraut

Lunch - 2 chicken thighs, sweet potato, samphire, spring greens, crispy bacon & sauerkraut. Handful of cherries (the addition of an extra chicken thigh & some greenery made this infinitely more satiating than yesterday!)

Dinner - salmon burger, spring greens & romanesco cauliflower

Felt a bit grumpy & tired after lunch, but went to the park with the nippers which was nice. Napped for a good half hour when we got home though (!) & felt a bit out of sorts. Couldn't think straight at all as i was making dinner, probably residual brain fog from those br**nies yesterday... Off out now to punch stuff at kickboxing :-)

I've been very guilty of feeding a grumpy tummy. Every time my stomach feels a bit off, i presume hunger. Probably today i was still feeling a bit off after yesterday & "assumed" a big lump of cake was the solution. I will type this out 100 times* if i have to, just so i don't make the same mistake tomorrow!!  ;)

D'oh!!

Funny, cos i spent quite some time to-ing & fro-ing in the kitchen, looking at my embarassingly large extensive selection of Paleo cookbooks, & perusing the treats sections. Each time i'd find something that i had all the ingredients for, visualise making it & feel a bit nauseous. Winning, i thought. Obviously then i let my guard down  :ph34r: & made a Paleo chocolate brownie-in-a-mug. Sigh. At least it was "paleo". And it was worth it, i think. Certainly a lot more "worth it" than those horrible Tesco "Free From" puddings (free from dairy, gluten, wheat & taste!)

Archived