Chorizo and ham

Hi,

I've started my Whole30 this monday and sofar it's going fine... Energy is low today but since it's day 3 I read that it is to be expected... So all good. I'm liking the meals but finding certain things here is hard.

i live in the Netherlands so most of the brands mentioned here are not to be found in these parts.

Now I've been doing some research on getting a good type of sausage and I have found one very small company that makes good sausages from good meat. However, when I asked him if there was any kind of sugar in it, he mentioned that in order to dry the meat they use 4 gram of dextrose for every kilo of meat. He also told me that after drying that is all gone... Which all sounds nice, but I wanted to check before I go out and buy me some.

The same goes for cooked or smoked ham, which is - or seems - impossible to find without any weird stuff in it....

But I'd really like to know what to do with the sausages... I'm guessing it's not good, but just wanted to make sure!

Hello!

I was your neighbor for a short time when I lived in Belgium.  Can you talk to a butcher about making sausage for you without the sugar?  Maybe you can get the meat and season it on your own.  A lot of people here have pork sausage recipes.

As for ham, I got one from a farmer that is not cured.  I am thinking of rubbing it with salt for a few days and cooking it in the crock pot with pineapple.  I have no idea if it will work, but I have a feeling it will.

Enjoy the adventure!

Nico

Thanks Nico and Kirsteen... I was afraid that the dextrose would be out (I knew it would be out, but hey... I thought I'd ask!) And yes, I think I can actually make my own sausage since I have done it myself but it is quite a bit of work... I'm gonna talk to the sausage guy anyway and see if he can maybe make something for me (although my guess is that the answer is going to be too costly!)

It can't hurt to ask - here or at the butcher!

It sounds as though you want link sausages that are cured.  That is my preference, too.  Since Whole30, I have been eating ground sausages and enjoying them.  Not nearly as much work, either.  Great on their own or cooked into eggs with veggies.

I found another source that has good sausages and other meat and the "only" ingredients I am not sure about are ascorbic ascid and siliciumdioxide. Are those ok to use?

I never realized there are so many products with so many things in it.. Sugar is nearly in everything these days! Ridiculous...

Archived