Pork tenderloin in the slow cooker?

Emily T

Good evening - hoping for some quick replies :)

I am exhausted from a long week and I have a huge pork tenderloin in my fridge I had been meaning to cook tonight for lunch/dinner tomorrow. But I am so tired! I am going to make a quick tuna salad wrap for dinner instead. 

I still need to cook the pork for tomorrow - can I put a tenderloin in the slow cooker? I saw this recipe for pulled pork and wanted to try it, but I do not know if it works with a tenderloin. Thoughts? Any other ideas for this huge hunk of meat and my exhausted self? :)

Thanks!

Here is a quick and easy recipe, you can prep tonight and it will be a fast tomorrow

4 cloves garlic, minced (sub garlic powder if you don't have garlic)
¼ cup balsamic vinegar
¼ cup olive oil

Salt to taste
2 lb pork tenderloin, cut into 2-inch medallions
---------------------------------------------------------------

Combine garlic, vinegar, oil and pork in
a large zip-top bag; seal bag. Refrigerate 4
hours or overnight. Preheat oven to 400
degrees. Place pork medallions on a baking
sheet. Discard marinade. Bake 15 minutes or
until a thermometer inserted in center reads
145 degrees; let stand 3 minutes.

what? NO. Pork Tenderloin is tender and lean. The slow cooker will do it no favors. If you want to cook pork in the slow cooker, use a shoulder or other fatty, tough bit. When you look at recipes for pulled pork, they are talking about shoulder or butt (which i think is still a shoulder). Tenderloin cooked that way will be dry and stringy and not good.

If you want to cook tenderloin, it can be done quickly and easily. Elizabeth has posted one option that fits this description.

• 2 weeks later...

I disagree with missmary! I've done pork tenderloins in the slow cooker several times! It comes out juicy and delicious every time! I usually cook two at a time this way. I cut each if them into 2-3 pieces, sprinkle them with seasoning-usually garlic powder, salt, pepper, cayenne pepper and paprika, then sear them in some olive or coconut oil. Then I place them on a bed of sliced onions with about 2 tablespoons of beef or chicken stock in the slow cooker, then leave it alone for 4-6 hours. It falls apart when done!

I've used it with salsa verde-yum! With paleo BBQ sauce-yum! In paleo pork chili-yum!

My goal this year is to start making at least one slow cooker meal a week during the school year. And it has to be enough for at least two meals, three would be better! Even though I love to cook, I love having compliant, easy food ready to go even more! In the words of my Italian great grandmother, who always thought I was too skinny (god love her!). "try it! You'll like it". Mangia! ;-)

Archived