Cauliflower mashed/riced SWYPO??

TEXY

I'm sure I'm over-thinking this, but isn't using mashed cauliflower in place of potatoes and riced cauliflower in place of rice SWYPO?.....

I am trying to find things that go with my meals that I traditionally pair with potatoes or rice.... I love potatoes with meatloaf, and want to do mashed cauliflower. I've had mashed califlower and do like it, jsut want to make sure I'm not cheating.

Maybe I'm doing it wrong, but I can never get beyond the texture of mashed cauliflower.  It's just not the same.  Sigh. 

Ooooh!  I hand mash.  I like my potatoes hand mashed too.  It never occurred to me to use an appliance with the cauliflower.  Huh.  Maybe I'll give it another shot.

I used an immersion blender with the regular blade for mash and with the processor canister for rice.  I find that I need to cook the cauliflower a little more than I would to eat it as florets.

I think tomorrow may be a rice day.  :-)

I use a hand stick-blender for my cauli, love it.

Hate it if it's watery though, or when the caulis are have a slight green tone rather than a whiter tone. Better for "rice" then :)

If you find it a bit bland, add some freshly ground black pepper.

I always add an ice cube of bone broth to all of my cauli.  Nom.  Seriously gonna rice some as soon as my hubby is awake.

Ok, I'll give it a try!  I don't have a food processor but I do have a stick blender that i use all the time so I will try it.  Thanks!

I've also added rutabaga or turnips to my cauliflower mash to help make the texture less runny.  It's really helpful when I have non-paleo eaters over because the texture is almost exactly the same as mashed potatoes.  They're delicious and everyone that I've made them for has loved them!

I've also added rutabaga or turnips to my cauliflower mash to help make the texture less runny.  It's really helpful when I have non-paleo eaters over because the texture is almost exactly the same as mashed potatoes.  They're delicious and everyone that I've made them for has loved them!

Ooh, I do this with celery root...when I can find it.  Awesome flavor and texture.

For me, there has to be a psychological component to SWYPO. For example, I make a dish where I slice sweet potatoes long-ways and layer them like "noodles" in a lasagna. The filling has ground beef and tomato sauce. It's really yummy. And I guess you could sort of consider that paleofying lasagna. But I never had any psychological issues with lasagna and when I eat the sweet potato dish, I'm just eating a yummy dinner, not recalling all the times I ever ate lasagna and reminiscing. 

Now, I can't eat sweet potato fries because I DO have a psychological response to french fries. 

I also think that these types of things vary between people based on their past eating habits.

$0.02

Archived