Pre/Post WO & schedule help!

Jesskafaye

Greetings all :) I'm on day 4 of 30 and having serious issues with the pre/post snacks. I tried the boiled egg before as was recommended by so many, and was nauseous not even 15 min into the workout. Currently training for half ironman ~4 months out, so workouts are pretty intense (plus we add crossfit and other strength training in addition to the 3 focused)... Afterwards, I'm pretty wiped and seriously missing my recovery shake/hummus/ other not allowed foods...

On top of this my day to day, I've slept through the time when I "should" have breakfast (based on workout times etc), and haven't figured out how to make this up to get 3 full meals + snacks in without eating right up until bed time...

Any help is appreciated!! I really can't afford a dip in training due to shotty nutrition, but I don't exactly know how to make this work at the moment...

We are in Ramadan (Islamic holy month) here in Cairo- and the mosque next door has prayers quite loudly through the night- so often I am up despite needing to be asleep, and then sleeping through alarms coz I'm simply too tired to get up... I'm trying to be on a schedule, but practically awake every night from 1:30am-3:30/4 and can't fall asleep again till 6/7

I've been having a cashew Larabar before my CrossFit workouts-along with a cup of coffee w/coconut milk. That seems to work for me. I eat a full meal when I get home at 8:00am. I have the luxury of being on summer break for a few more weeks and am loving getting my workouts done in the mornings. I'm dreading going back to school-only because I can't get a WOD in before school and have to wait until 5:00!

On mornings I don't go to CrossFit or run, I just have a regular meal one at around 6:30-7:00. Right now, that is just one morning a week, but that will be my routine again every morning once school starts, except I eat at 6:00 because I'm off to school by 6:30. I carry larabars with me for an after school/pre-workout snack.

Good luck with your training!

• Moderators

Many people experience a drop in performance during workouts the first two weeks of a Whole30 even if they eat all meals appropriately and on schedule. The shift from the high carbs of conventional diets to the relatively lower carb/higher fat of the Whole30-style of eating requires an adjustment period. Ultimately, you can perform as good as ever eating Whole30-style, but if you can't take a hit for a few weeks, you might need to consider doing your first Whole30 at another time.

Get ear plugs and a sleep mask! I use them because I need to be asleep before my wife comes home from work some nights and they allow me to rest undisturbed when she comes in. However, I sometimes have trouble hearing my alarm in the morning and need my wife (who is not wearing ear plugs) to shake me to get up.

Pre-workout meals are the most variable part of the plan. You might need an hour after eating anything to workout or you might not be able to tolerate eggs before training. I can eat boiled eggs while running, so I can't offer advice about how to avoid feeling queasy.

The energy level is pretty good despite missing the schedule, so I don't really think I need to stop, I just don't want to get to a point where I am too low to keep going... Living outside the US means I can't find a lot of options for premade/easy nutrition which makes this ideal also. I know the rules suggest no heavy fruits- this evening i tried a few small dried dates and handful of almonds and did better... Just wondering is this an ok pre snack?

Also, is it advisable to have a meal post workout instead of the snack then meal?

the recommendation for preWO is fat/protein - so the dried fruit probably isn't your best option.

could you try something more dry, perhaps? piece of chicken thigh, or breast cooked in coconut oil/ghee?

if you're training early, it would be hard to leave a longer gap between eating and working out, but if you're training in the afternoon/evening, try to leave long enough between preWO and your training session.

Archived