Spaghetti squash without tomato sauce

Mom2A&M

You can, but it may be a little plain.  Its worth a try! I have made it with cashews in place of the pine nuts and it was really good.  you could probably use just about any W30 approved nuts to give it a fuller flavor.  I am thinking of trying it with sunflower seeds.  

You might layer ingredients slowly - for instance, first put on some olive oil and salt, and taste.  Then see if you want to add maybe some oregano and parsley, then taste.  Then maybe a little balsamic vinegar, then taste.  In other words, see what the actual veggie tastes like, and add ingredients until it has the particular ka-pow you're looking for.  I love spaghetti squash and often eat it with just olive oil, balsamic vinegar, cumin (which I'd cut out if I was doing AIP) and salt.  Seriously delicious.

Err, this isn't a sauce, but it's great with spaghetti squash - pulled pork! Put the pork in a slow cooker on a bed of onion (purple, brown, cut up or whole, doesn't matter) and cook until the pork just falls apart (mine takes overnight, sometimes night and a day if it's a bigger pig piece). Freezes well, either together or separate. I season it when I'm ready to eat it.

Pesto would be awesome too.

I would think that Olive oil (a good tasty one) would work. Before I was on W30, I would do butter and Parmesan cheese, Yum. So ghee might works. I am also on AI (no nightshades) and no Fodmaps (no garlic). I did just buy some unfiltered olive oil, which has an amazing taste, almost black pepperish. It's more fragile than regular EVOO, so it can go bad, but it really tastes great on spinach and other veggies. Also, get a great tasting salt. Himalayan Salt or something called 'Real Salt' are great, much better than regular processed table salt.

Try a pesto made with basil, walnuts, olive oil, and nutritional yeast. Yum. You will think there is cheese in it! You can also use arugula. Delish with spaghetti squash. Which, by the way, I cannot find here in southern NH right now! I'm craving some Well Fed Pad Thai with Sunshine Sauce! That is another yummy sauce- you could do it without get garlic!

Try a pesto made with basil, walnuts, olive oil, and nutritional yeast. Yum. You will think there is cheese in it! You can also use arugula. Delish with spaghetti squash. Which, by the way, I cannot find here in southern NH right now! I'm craving some Well Fed Pad Thai with Sunshine Sauce! That is another yummy sauce- you could do it without get garlic!

I finally found some spaghetti squash in the store again this past week. I almost bought them all.  :ph34r: That said I made my Well Fed Pad Thai with zoodles and it was just as good.

Thanks for all the ideas! No nuts, no garlic, no onions, no tomatoes, no nightshade spices= more herbs I guess!

What about a cauliflower or coconut milk based sauce? I've come across a few in my searches on the interwebs.

Could you puree up some other veggies?  Like butternut squash, or sweet potato?  Maybe add some cinnamon or nutmeg to play on the sweetness of those.  Or you could make the pesto with some spinach or other greens.  Dilute with some beef stock for flavor?

Inspired by this post, here's what I had for lunch today.  Very delish!  I liked it waaaaay better than the traditional tomato sauce version I had yesterday for dinner.  It felt more decadent.

Sauteed some kale in coconut oil with a little kosher salt and some pressed garlic (maybe you could add a bunch of herbs or spices you can have).  Added cooked spaghetti squash then drizzled with a little olive oil.  Served with some veggie packed meatballs I made yesterday.

post-33676-0-50455200-1375205212_thumb.j

Archived