Is it possible to gain weight (on purpose) on Whole30?

lizanelly1

My husband is about 148-150lbs and wants to add muscle mass and gain some weight and  he also wants to eat paleo and possibly do another whole30 with me.  We have been eating paleo for a couple months now and he's noticed that his appetite has increased and he has gained about 5lbs since then.  But, more than one person has told him that he won't be able to fuel his metabolism enough to gain weight!! I'm so frustrated about it because I know this has to work!

We met a personal trainer over the weekend that told him he has to eat carbs (like the kind from bread and rice) or it will wreck his metabolism in the long run, that the paleo diet is only good if you want to lose weight...I feel like this is BS but I don't have enough knowledge yet on this aspect because I'm doing this to lose weight myself....help!  

Putting muscle on is a long, slow process for most, and requires masses of food.....

It's of course possible to put on weight - just eat more of it! More carbs, especially around workouts, bigger protein portions and maybe a little more fat. He may need to eat more regularly

• Moderators

The trainer is having a verbal bowel movement. I can smell it from here! :) Your metabolic rate is not controlled by your carb intake. Besides, there are more than enough carbs available in starchy vegetables to maintain energy levels and all the calories you can digest in meat and fats.

Gaining muscle is simple - Lift heavy weights, rest more, sleep more, eat more.

Edit: Simple, but not easy. :)

Archived