Fruit!

Irish Rose

I have been paleo (with dairy) for about 8 months , I know it isn't compliant but I also ate gluten free oats once per day. I train about 7 hours a week normally, cross-fit style workouts, weights and karate. This is my first whole 30, I am 8 days in. Next week I have 16.5 hours of karate. I intend to fuel this with fruit/ bananas/ sweet potato/ coconut water / dried fruit and Nakd bars ( similar to Larabars) I keep reading that too much fruit is not compliant but can someone who trains similar hours please advise me of the alternatives!!!

If not on whole 30 I would eat potato and rice next week. I don't intend to stray from the plan though. I don't have a problem with sugar cravings, I am doing this for the health benefits and to break my Greek yogurt habit ( I was addicted!)

I don't normally eat more than 2 pieces of fruit a day but on this plan I find I want more as I am so bored of protein and veg!

Very grateful for any tips or advice : )

Pre WO suggestion is fat/protein, post WO is carb/protein - with starchy vegies recommended, sweet potato is great!

If you're that far in to your whole30, you should find your body utilising fat more than carbs your energy source, hence the preWO recommendation :)

Someone who trains long hours (runners, perhaps?) may suggest what they do - you may need something during training?

I'm in marathon training right now... Pre-WO, I'll have coconut milk in my coffee and a HB egg. If its a hard workout like a long run, I'll have two HB eggs, sometimes with a small scoop of coconut butter. Post-WO, I always have at least 1/2 sweet potato, steamed in the microwave. For harder workouts (long run, tempo/speed work/hill repeats), I'll cook up some sliced banana (use a small bit of coconut oil or evoo and pan-fry/sear on each side) and put that on top of my sweet potato. So good!! Of course you can tinker with those amounts as needed. Sometimes I do more than 1/2 sweet potato, sometimes a whole banana, or a whole potato & whole banana (that's on long run days!). If you're in a pinch for time, you could do a can of compliant tuna with pre-steamed sweet potato cubes (they're not bad when eaten cold). I've found that canned tuna has been my best bet for post-WO protein as its lean, quick/easy, and portable. If you want some extra flavor in the tuna, add some tessemae's paleo BBQ sauce or compliant salsa on top (ill often empty my can into a Tupperware container & add my condiment that way).

Thank you! I have pre workout sorted. This sounds revolting but on Marks Daily Apple I saw a recipe for bulletproof coffee made with egg! I whisk an egg , pour in espresso and add a teaspoon of coconut oil. I have been eating a LOT of sweet potato, good job I like it. Cubed and roasted in coconut oil is my favourite. This week, my focus is on performance and energy. Fat loss would be great but to be quite honest I find it surprising that paleo athletes are still so carb phobic. Everything I am reading lately suggests that higher carbs leads to increased performance and ultimately better body composition. I am probably not following the template as closely as I could because I am trying to listen to my body and get out of my old habits of counting macros. I had neither the results or the energy levels I wanted using that method. Anyway, thanks for the replies : ))

I am experimenting with more carbs. I was not feeling great on low. I know a nutrition coach and his advice was to have my daily carbs post workout and / or before bed. I am trying this and so far feeling good. The six pack I want is still elusive but that's mainly because I was previously guzzling Greek yogurt, black chocolate and also rice and gluten free oats. The whole 30 has forced me back to the bare bones of paleo and I am hoping to stick with it through to mid sept ( I have two very big social occasions then, so I want will want wine!) I am trying to really tune in to what my body wants and at the minute it's telling me fruit!!! I previously didn't even like it!

Archived