Born-again 'Carnivore'

CaveGirl

Where to even begin??

I'll try not to make this too long, but it is so nice to be able to have a forum where I can talk to other link minded people about this stuff. I don't even think my friends or family would even know what the word 'Paleo' means (in the dietary sense).

A little about me. Well I am a very new convert (if that's the right word) to the whole Paleo lifestyle. Up until 4 months ago I was a vegetarian and had been for the previous 7 years. The irony is that I became vegetarian because I genuinely believed it was the right thing for me to do to improve my health, and for part of that time I became a raw vegan (or Food Nazi). I honestly thought I was doing the best thing for my body and health to eat vegetarian/vegan but unfortunately it took 7 years of increasing illness to realise that maybe, just maybe being a vegetarian wasn't the right thing for ME.

I have also spent the last 23 years battling an eating disorder (binge eating) although have only recently been diagnosed and so have spent most of my adult life in a world of shame and guilt about my eating and weight. I have gained and lost the same 100lbs so many times I have lost count.

The turning point and starting of my journey happened in two parts. The first part was the emotional healing and I strongly believe that without this I wouldn't have made my way to where I am today. By chance I came across the work of an extraordinary woman Dr Brené Brown and read one of her books 'The Gifts of Imperfection' which shifted something very deep within me and allowed me to embrace myself with love and compassion, something I have not exactly been good at.

The second part of my journey was the physical impact. I have a variety of medical issues (thyroid disease, endometriosis, asthma, lipoedema, IBS) but my health seriously deteriorated towards the end of last year to the point where I was physically sick every time I ate, I had nausea all day long and chronic digestive issues. I had to take anti-nausea tablets to be able to eat anything and pills to help me digest my food. I was miserable and in a lot of discomfort and pain. I decided to start eating meat again as I was desperate, thinking that perhaps my body was lacking in vital nutrients. A few weeks after my doctor suggested that I might be lactose and wheat/gluten intolerant. That diagnosis has been a blessing in disguise and the best thing that could have happened to me. Since that day I have cut out all dairy and gluten products and have pretty much been doing Whole30 since the start of January. I didn't stumble upon this site until a month or so into my 'Paleo-conversion' but I had read both Mark Sisson and Chris Kresser's blogs to educate myself. Since the start of the year I have read Gary Taubes 'Why we get fat' (which I would HIGHLY recommend) and Dr Davis' 'Wheat Belly' which have completed my paleo-education.

I have always been an all or nothing person, 80/20 has never seemed very attractive to me, I mean if I couldn't do something 100% then why bother? I happen to realise that this obsessive way of thinking leads me straight down the path to my eating disorder which involves either excessive restriction or excessive binging. So I am wholeheartedly aiming for 80/20, hell some days I might rebel and go for 70/30!

I know that I still have a way to go in terms of healing my eating disorder and healing my body, however I feel I am already half way up the mountain. For me, this is not a 30 day fix, it is a lifestyle choice that I am making and committing to for life. Will I slip up? Probably, but I did hear a fantastic expression that sums it up for me 'Don't make perfect the enemy of good.'

There are a lot of fantastic Paleo blogs out there and I really love the community feeling that seems to exists, but the Whole30 approach seems to align with my own personal philosophy and values and I believe that Melissa and Dallas have created something very special here. Now if only they would come to the UK....?

Anyway that was longer than I intended but also kind of what I expected!!

Here's to a future full of energy and vitality, a life to be LIVED not survived. And one full of delicious grass-fed beef!!

CGxx

Cavegirl - Love your story. Thanks for sharing. I, too, am a fan of Brene Brown and an aspiring "good enoughist!" I love your approach as described in your own words - For me, this is not a 30 day fix, it is a lifestyle choice that I am making and committing to for life. --

I look forward to connecting with you through the adventure!

Thanks Jeanye! A year ago I would never have been so open and vulnerable about my struggles but Brene's work has made all the difference to me! Have you seen her latest TED talk , it is amazing! Although, yes I do realise I am hiding behind a nickname and an avatar that is clearly not me, but this helps me to feel safe sharing such personal details about myself.

Where are you in your Whole30 journey?

Warmly

CG x

Did you steal my story and post as me? Seriously. The only real difference I see between your story and mine is that I was vegetarian for 18 years but never did the raw thing. I was diagnosed with celiac a year and a half ago, and like you say, it was a blessing in disguise in that it forbade me from eating things that HURT me. Hurt so bad! Over the last 6 months or so I realized that all grains and beans do as well (just not AS bad, but "not as bad" isn't the same as good.) and had to start eating meat again. Once I made the decision, it was ON because, as I say, baby steps are for babies and I'm pretty all or nothing as well.

During the last several months I've had to come face to face with my sugar addiction and what it means to my overall health. It's a regular struggle but having this forum to talk to each other will be awesome. I'm with you - I'm not talking to my "real life" people about this much. They know I started eating meat again and a hanful of the non-judgemental ones know of the no grains/legumes thing but the rest of them don't need to know.

It's lovely to "meet" you. :)

Hi Jess,

lovely to "meet" you too! It's so nice knowing that we are not alone in this. I know what you mean about letting people in your "real life" know about this lifestyle. I'm very lucky to have a wonderful husband who has known about my eating disorder since we first met and is supportive of my Paleo approach, but beyond that it is difficult to explain to my family, friends and colleagues how I have done a total 180 from being a raw vegan to full blooded carnivore. Although having the 'excuse' of being gluten/lactose intolerant definitely makes it easier for me to explain, I look and feel so much better that pretty much everyone can see the changes for themselves. Plus I keep getting told how great and radiant I look and how fabulous my skin is! :-)

I think a huge part of what has made giving up grains, dairy, sugar and legumes so easy (other than how well I feel) is that I am so excited about and love eating meat again! I get real pleasure from cooking good wholesome food and make sure I buy organic, grass-fed meat and veg. I want to grab a foghorn and shout from the rooftops that Paleo is the way forward, however I do not want to be a zealous nutter. When I was a raw vegan I would 'lecture' anyone in earshot and was a serious Food Nazi, whereas I now realise that everyone has to make their own decisions and choose what is best for them, but it is hard to see people struggling when you feel like you have the answer. I am hoping though that as my family and friends continue to see such a difference in me they might give it a go themselves.

I think the thing that I am struggling with the most is dealing with eating when I'm out and not wanting to look like a food weirdo. I think that there is probably more acceptance of the Paleo lifestyle in the US, but in the UK it is pretty much unheard of. I'm happy to have a nice cooked steak and simple salad or green veggies which most restaurants will do, but anything like a cafe or going to people's houses or work events, or holidays and weekends away is so much more difficult. I hate feeling like I'm awkward or putting people out and whilst being gluten/lactose intolerant gives me a free pass to some degree, trying to ensure that there are no legumes or starchy veg or other starchy carbs, or sugar or soya, or additives, sweeteners and other rubbish makes me often feel like I'm being such a pain.

It's easy at home as I make everything from scratch, I take my own breakfast and lunch into work and almost everything I eat comes from the ground or an animal. Very little goes into my mouth that comes from a tin (the exception being tinned coconut milk, tinned tuna and tinned tomatoes) but other than that everything is fresh. But when I'm not at home, to be honest I kind of freak out. Does anyone else feel like this? How do you handle it?

LOVE this new forum!! :-)

CG x

Hi, Gals!

I'm about 2 years in and can tell you that there will come a time when you can relax more about being the food weirdo. :) At the beginning of my journey I too wanted to shout from the rooftops. However, I quickly discovered that not everyone is ready to hear the good food word. As in all relationships, folks don't care how much we know until they know how much we care. Now I simply share with folks who ask. I work at being non judgmental regarding others' lifestyles as I hope they are accepting of mine. I have plenty of work to do within myself. There's no need to go borrowing others to "fix."

RE: Brene Brown. I have watched the TED talk video several times. I have read Gifts of Imperfection and am currently reading "I Thought it Was Just Me." My goal is to become certified in her Connections program. I plan to begin that process this summer!

Also loved your story. Can relate to a lot of it. I was vegan for six years prior to finding paleo a couple of weeks ago (raw vegan for two of those years). I started when my mom died of cancer, believing meat was the cause of so many diseases. When my health just kept going downhill (along with all muscle tone), I finally decided to try something different. So glad I did. I'm feeling better than I have in years.

On the other side of the "food weirdo" coin though, is that during the time of being veg, some people made me feel like it THEN. (Though I live in a community where there are TONS of vegetarians, so it wasn't as bad here as when I traveled to other places.)

Yesterday I ran into a woman I've not seen in months. Ran into her at the meat counter in fact and she was like, "Jess! What...???" And when I told her I was no longer vegetarian she CHEERED and thanked the butcher. (Which was stupid, because I only know him now from having started eating meat but he HAS been an amazing resource in helping me learn what the hell I'm doing.) She said I looked healthier, which I'm sure I do, but overall I was slightly offended for some reason. (Maybe partly because I'm no big fan of this particular lady and find her to be pushy and overbearing in every interaction.) It just smacked of "I'm right and you're wrong" and while intellectually I'd agree with that now (that eating meat IS better for us), I'm just sick of the food judgement, from both sides. I had a migraine for a few weeks and a vegetarian friend said "stop eating dead stuff!" Ugggg. Come on.

I wish we could all just stop commenting on what each other chooses to eat to feel their best. When I was vegetarian I never lectured people about their diets, don't plan to now that I've made a 180 switch and sure would love if others would refrain as well. :-) Except for here, because it's not lecturing, it's celebrating. :-)

• 2 years later...

Hi, Gals!

I'm about 2 years in and can tell you that there will come a time when you can relax more about being the food weirdo. :) At the beginning of my journey I too wanted to shout from the rooftops. However, I quickly discovered that not everyone is ready to hear the good food word. As in all relationships, folks don't care how much we know until they know how much we care. Now I simply share with folks who ask. I work at being non judgmental regarding others' lifestyles as I hope they are accepting of mine. I have plenty of work to do within myself. There's no need to go borrowing others to "fix."

RE: Brene Brown. I have watched the TED talk video several times. I have read Gifts of Imperfection and am currently reading "I Thought it Was Just Me." My goal is to become certified in her Connections program. I plan to begin that process this summer!

Good one!

The turning point and starting of my journey happened in two parts. The first part was the emotional healing and I strongly believe that without this I wouldn't have made my way to where I am today. By chance I came across the work of an extraordinary woman Dr Brené Brown and read one of her books 'The Gifts of Imperfection' which shifted something very deep within me and allowed me to embrace myself with love and compassion, something I have not exactly been good at.

I know that I still have a way to go in terms of healing my eating disorder and healing my body, however I feel I am already half way up the mountain. For me, this is not a 30 day fix, it is a lifestyle choice that I am making and committing to for life. Will I slip up? Probably, but I did hear a fantastic expression that sums it up for me 'Don't make perfect  the enemy of good.'

There are a lot of fantastic Paleo blogs out there and I really love the community feeling that seems to exists, but the Whole30 approach seems to align with my own personal philosophy and values and I believe that Melissa and Dallas have created something very special here. Now if only they would come to the UK....?

b789ba95fd2df8a01b0e8c186289b667.jpg      61d518899d8d55e081042b54e543e73e.jpg

Archived